Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

It's now estimated that Amazon is capturing 50% or so of online retail sales

Forbes Welcome

In my small town, Amazon is the only retailer for a lot of items I simply cannot get locally, or that are too expensive. I don't like the situation but it's a godsend to rural residents.

How do you feel about the Amazon retail giant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
It works, has the products, and is easy to use.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I don't use it, I find that smile on the box creeps the beejeesus out of me

Old 12-02-2016, 01:19 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
This year I did online black Friday and cyber Monday shopping instead of in the store. I wasn't going to deal with the manic crowds. Which meant shopping Amazon.

Before going to a store I usually check what they have online first. If it's a clothing item I like I've learned to go to the store to try it on before purchasing it online and paying for shipping. Sometimes the store will honor the online price so you get it right then and there. Other times they say sorry and tell you that you have to get it online to get that price.

With most stores you can get something online and have it shipped to the store and then go pick it up in the store while paying less for it than if you purchased it in the store. Online prices are usually less if you want to save some money.

I go for value and try to save a few bucks. However, stores are learning to compete. This year for black Friday and cyber Monday Target price matched Amazon on the Instant Pot online which was a big time seller.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Turn it upside down.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
I'm part of the 50%. I love Amazon and I get free shipping on a lot of stuff because of Prime.

The reason I like it so much is that I loath shopping. It is a torture that takes at least an hour by the time you figure in driving, parking, wandering around a store looking for what you want, and then waiting in line. With Amazon I am done in 5 minutes.

I did almost all of my Christmas shopping on Amazon and then a few other small store websites for specialty items. Rough guess would be I bought half to 2/3 on Amazon. Didn't step foot in a brick and mortar store.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I think it looks like a penis.
But I use Amazon all the time. The prices are competitive, free shipping on many items, fast delivery and they have excellent customer service IMO.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Forbes Welcome

In my small town, Amazon is the only retailer for a lot of items I simply cannot get locally, or that are too expensive. I don't like the situation but it's a godsend to rural residents.

I find that hard to believe, and I live in a small town outside of Houston. I think that people shop on Amazon vs. other online retailers because they don't want to bother to comparison shop. This is especially true for Prime members. I have found everything I have wanted to buy online on other retail sites also, and more than 90% of the time, they beat Amazon's price.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:47 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Forbes Welcome

I'm ambivalent to Amazon. I use it when it benefits me, otherwise I don't. Here are some random thoughts:

- They're not the cheapest sellers for all products. They broke into the market with low prices but now they're basically coasting on their reputation. They also are eliminating free shipping and pushing everyone to become "Prime" members, sometimes by not allowing you to buy products even unless you are a member and pay a yearly fee.

- Oddly, all the people who complained about Wal-Mart "destroying" Main Street love Amazon and Amazon is way worse than Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart maintains a physical presence. Amazon isn't even in the community. Your location reads small town Tennessee. Obviously, in rural Tennessee there aren't a lot of consumer choices for things. But consider that if you buy from Amazon because it costs less, there's even less of a reason for a store to remain open in rural Tennessee. So it closes and now Amazon is the monopoly where you live. I'm not opposed to that, but you should keep it in mind because Amazon usually jacks up pricing as it becomes more of a monopoly. I have encountered way fewer awesome deals on Amazon as time has gone by. Now it's more like "save $1 on a $50 item."

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
I have a young friend who would love for there to be no local retail and only Amazon.
He's an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products