Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times

Advertisements

I've known about ebay for a long time, and although I've looked at things I've never bought or sold anything. Awhile back I admired a friend's Coach handbag, and she told me she bought it on ebay. I've been wanting a nicer handbag but don't want to pay to prices for leather at a store. I thought I'd have to bid and go thru a lot of hassle, but friend said I can just buy items....I don't have to bid.

So a few days ago I found a used leather bag I like, and bought it. Price was great, item appears to be in very good condition, and seller has a high rating. So, we'll see.

Any ebay experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 02:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
You will have both good and bad experiences mostly good if you know how to read feedbacks. I've done most of my shopping on Amazon but rare items and better priced on ebay if you can spot differences.

The biggest problem I have usually is with shipping times and packaging. Some ebay sellers are not good at packaging stuff.

I think right now is the worst time to buy on ebay because of shipping delays don't expect your gifts to be on time so order soon before it's too late.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Thanks, this item was for me but sure, this would be a busy time to order gifts.

I did lots of checking about the seller and there were over 500 positive reviews and only 2 negative. Most comments mentioned very fast shipping.

Maybe after first of year I'll look into the bidding, but tbh I'm not into that type thing and it seems a hassle. A friend and her husband were/are very active on ebay (mostly selling), but they spent a lot of time on it and I'm not sure it was worth it.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
A LOT of fake handbags on eBay.

A. LOT.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Oh I'm sure there are a lot of fakes or what you see is not what you get. But my friend's Coach bag was genuine.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
I am a seller on ebay, and I also enjoy buying there.
Just recently, I found a small printing plate with the logo of my tiny little hometown on it. I know the logo, it's official. The person must have bought out a print shop. It shipped from PA > NM, It was in my hands in 2 business days.

I also search for photos and postcards from my area of NM.

The good sellers ship fast and pack well. And I can tell where the item is being shipped from (unlike Amazon, who hides this important information). I prefer to buy within the USA.

I really only buy from auctions if they are ending within 24 hours. I have no patience, and hate to wait

Good score on the leather bag!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
I've been buying on ebay for about 3 years. About 90% of the sellers I've bought from have been great in every way.

The other 10% take way too long to ship. If you ship something expedited, and that's your only option, drop it off or put it out so it can be picked up the next day, or the day after that at worse. Don't wait a whole week to bother to ship my stuff.

I've only ever been scammed by a seller once, and even then, PayPal refunded me.

My best advice for eBay: read the seller's feedback!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I've sold a lot on ebay, but not in the last year. By the time ebay and PayPal take their fees, there isn't much left. With taking photos, packaging items, and even though I don't offer refunds, the occasional buyer's remorse and refund. Who needs it?

Unless you are a dealer or drop-shipper, it is pretty much a waste of time for me.

I do buy quite a bit of clothing and miscellaneous items (printer ink, etcl) on ebay and rarely am disappointed.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1999. It's been a 99% positive experience. Very few problems. As a buyer, I find it important to ask questions if I'm not clear on exactly what's being offered, and the condition it's in. As a seller, I've mostly switched to Amazon Marketplace. I mostly sell CDs, and it's so much easier to list them there. I tried selling dishes on eBay, but hardly anyone wants to pay the cost of shipping, so I've had more success selling those on Craigslist.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I used ebay more back in the early 2000's, but rarely use it anymore.

Last time I used it was to get a luggage suitcase 2 years ago, since I couldn't find the model I wanted on Amazon.

I mostly use Amazon for everything now and as mentioned above, shipping is so much better so have no need for ebay, since I don't sell anything.

Haven't had any problems with sellers or buyers in the past. Usually the ones with a lot of good reviews and stars are reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products