U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM

2,513 posts, read 4,814,507 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to use an Amazon.com gift card (a physical card) for anything besides Amazon.com? I think you can't but I wanted to make sure. Somebody gave me one but I really need other stuff from Target.

Why do people often say gift cards are not good gifts? It might be because they are impersonal, or show a lack of thought, or people don't like using them or they don't work. Or people use 5% of it and get the change back in cash, which is not very Christmasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM

13,527 posts, read 26,040,908 times
No. Gift cards from one particular store can't be used at another store. But you can try this: https://www.cardcash.com/

Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Followup: When I've used a physical gift card in a store, they gave me back the change in cash. Are there any cases where they will only leave the change on the card?

Old 01-04-2017, 02:31 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,287,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it possible to use an Amazon.com gift card (a physical card) for anything besides Amazon.com? I think you can't but I wanted to make sure. Somebody gave me one but I really need other stuff from Target.

Why do people often say gift cards are not good gifts? It might be because they are impersonal, or show a lack of thought, or people don't like using them or they don't work. Or people use 5% of it and get the change back in cash, which is not very Christmasy.
You can get almost anything from Target on Amazon too- and since its a gift- any difference in price should be minimal- they have Prime Pantry for household supplies...
(also Amazon Prime is a flat $99 yearly fee for unlimited shipping, so if you have to buy gifts for people all over the country, it pays for itself pretty quickly- as well as tons of free videos/ movies/ music/ books for online viewing- its as good as Netflix plus its included)...

Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,704,469 times
Quote:
Followup: When I've used a physical gift card in a store, they gave me back the change in cash. Are there any cases where they will only leave the change on the card?
Yep.
I have several cards - for stores and restaurants - that are carrying a balance.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 PM

13,190 posts, read 8,066,454 times
Quote:
I don't know of any store that gives change from a gift card back in cash.

I know in some states the stores are required to if the customer requests, and the card is under a certain amount, but they wont do it automatically. Stores want you to keep money on the gift card so that you return and spend more money in the store or so you forget about the money.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 PM

I just used a gift card at a big chain restaurant and they said they have to give back the change on the card, unless it's a small amount (might be ten dollars). Then they can give the change in cash.

Coinstar machines allow you to insert a gift card and convert it to cash, but it's only for certain stores. Amazon is not one of them.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,804,280 times
I keep a balance on an Amazon card to order occasional items online since you don't need to expose your credit card when ordering online. I just buy the Amazon cards at the local drug store.

Amazon is massive. It is very likely you can find whatever you need on Amazon online. Let's say the stuff you want from Target is not a Target item, but it's produced by Brand A. It's highly likely you can find Brand A products on Amazon.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Update: I went to a Coinstar machine and you select which company the gift card is for. Amazon.com is one of them.

I think there is a fee for redeeming a gift card.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,913,063 times
How much is it for, and how much do you want for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or