Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

I see these ads on the minor TV channels and wonder if the place is legit. Anybody have any experience with them? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I have seen those ads too. I have never heard anyone I know mention that they have used it. For some reason, and it might be very unfounded, it strikes me as a site for the naive. The commercials just seem so overstated that I am automatically super skeptical about it. Again, I have no basis to say that but when I saw the post I thought I would reply.
I guess I will sit back and see if anyone chimes in about having used it.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I've tried to read the intensely-small print in the corners of the screen during the commercials in an effort to find the 'catch'. As far as I can tell, they offer up an item for auction, and people pay X amount of money to place a bid on an item--each time they bid. You might "win" an item (say, a TV) for $100, but you placed multiple bids and was charged a fee each time you bid, making the process of "winning" more expensive.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I went to their website and you had to give them an email address before you could get into the site and find out the details. I really didn't want to do that without having questions answered. I know with Ebay, on a couple of items I won, I need a snipe service to really bid at the last minute finally win something. Of course, that was normally used goods. I just wondered where DD.com got their merchandise. Surplus? Open box ??

Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
According to their web site it costs you up an up front fee of $60.00 to join the DD club. After that you pay per each bid, suppose to get credit if you don't win. Most deals there are one or two available items so bidding against thousands of bidders is moot. Though some times they have close out lots where there are many of the same item up for bid. But a $500 TV for 45 bucks or a laptop for $18.00 that would be a rarity. You just don't deal or get the information like you would on e-bay.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM

61,714 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I see these ads on the minor TV channels and wonder if the place is legit. Anybody have any experience with them? Thanks!
They are legal.
The prices quoted in the commercial are a misrepresentation of the amount actually spent by the bidder. And the idea that DealDash is just a regular auction site is an illusion.
If you want to know why - you need to read this:
Is DealDash Legit Or A Scam? The Devil Is In The Details! | News For Shoppers

Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
"Penny auction" sites charge something like 30 cents per bid. So a $500 TV that sells for "$45" on these sites in reality gets the owners of the site $1400 from all the bids or about 3 times what it is really worth that's if that "$45" is real chances are it will go for more. There are complaints that some of these sites have bots that are actually bidding against real people driving the bids up. So you could quickly spend a lot of money bidding and never win anything. Sounds kinda like a scam to be while they may be technically legal and you are told how the sites work in advance people must still be falling for it for these sites to stay around and other sites to copy the format.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 PM

^^^^^ Oh. Yeah! Plenty of gullible people who don't read reviews, don't read small print, and don't try to find out, like OP.
It's like with Nigerian scam - everyone seem to know about, but some still fall for it.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I went to their website and you had to give them an email address before you could get into the site and find out the details. I really didn't want to do that without having questions answered. I know with Ebay, on a couple of items I won, I need a snipe service to really bid at the last minute finally win something. Of course, that was normally used goods. I just wondered where DD.com got their merchandise. Surplus? Open box ??
According to David O'Weger - Community Manager at DealDash:
DealDash has supplier partnerships with Best Buy, Sears and Walmart. After the order is placed by the customer on DealDash, the supplying partner immediately receives the order and the item is shipped. All items are brand new, come with free shipping and have standard manufacturer warranties. Order status and tracking information is provided to the customers when logged into their DealDash dashboard.
https://www.quora.com/Where-does-Dea...ts-merchandise

Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Interesting facts:
DealDash is the longest-running bidding fee auction site (since 2009), and one of the largest pay-to-participate auction websites, in the United States.
I guess, there is still an endless supply of naive people
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DealDash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products