Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,706,832 times

Advertisements

I've been an amazon customer for 6 or 7 years now. I wasn't a Prime member for the first 2 or 3 years, but then joined and have found myself buying more from amazon every year since I joined.

The years before I became a Prime member, you just had to spend, I believe it was $35.00 to gain free standard shipping. Typically that took 5-7 days to arrive.

I found myself padding my orders at times to get to the $35.00. It would be stuff I'd use of course, but I was still spending money upfront on things that I may not need for some time. I eventually tired of that "model" and just joined Prime.

Now I purchase exactly what I want, in the quantity I need, and it arrives at my door. Once you join Prime, you'll find yourself questioning all the extra hassle of driving to a store, potentially fighting traffic, standing in check out lines, lugging bags to your car in the freezing cold (I live in Minnesota and it's Winter here), than of course lugging the same bags into the house.

Now for many of those special runs to the store, I find myself clicking a few times on the amazon site, and two days later there is a box on my porch. All for basically the same price, sometimes a few bucks more, more frequently a few bucks less....usually with car parts a LOT less.

You have no idea how nice it is to have 40 pound boxes of cat litter delivered right to your porch for virtually the same price as I used to pay in the store. I used to hate buying those heavy things in the store, getting them into the cart, out of the cart, into the trunk, out of the trunk and lugged into the house. Sure, I feel sorry for the UPS/USPS/FedEx carrier....but hey, that is their job, they get paid good money to carry such things to my door. I don't recall anyone every paying me to lug my cat litter from the store to my home....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,451,535 times
I didn't think it could be worth it. Now I'm ordering things left and right. Hard to find, or just easier to order than to put on list and go to the store.

If it's the same or lower price it saves so much time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My cousin laughed at me when he installed a door but forgot a doorknob. I was like np is this the right one? He says yes, you are hilarious that is the exact right one below what you should pay.

IDK why that is hilarious. Why drive all the way to home depot and they may not even have what I want?

Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Yes on the heavy things too. Although I prefer Chewey for pet products usually. It's too easy with pets to meet the $49 amount required for free shipping. They always get new toys when I am a couple dollars shy of the $49.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I've been an amazon customer for 6 or 7 years now. I wasn't a Prime member for the first 2 or 3 years, but then joined and have found myself buying more from amazon every year since I joined.

The years before I became a Prime member, you just had to spend, I believe it was $35.00 to gain free standard shipping. Typically that took 5-7 days to arrive.

I found myself padding my orders at times to get to the $35.00. It would be stuff I'd use of course, but I was still spending money upfront on things that I may not need for some time. I eventually tired of that "model" and just joined Prime.

Now I purchase exactly what I want, in the quantity I need, and it arrives at my door. Once you join Prime, you'll find yourself questioning all the extra hassle of driving to a store, potentially fighting traffic, standing in check out lines, lugging bags to your car in the freezing cold (I live in Minnesota and it's Winter here), than of course lugging the same bags into the house.

Now for many of those special runs to the store, I find myself clicking a few times on the amazon site, and two days later there is a box on my porch. All for basically the same price, sometimes a few bucks more, more frequently a few bucks less....usually with car parts a LOT less.

You have no idea how nice it is to have 40 pound boxes of cat litter delivered right to your porch for virtually the same price as I used to pay in the store. I used to hate buying those heavy things in the store, getting them into the cart, out of the cart, into the trunk, out of the trunk and lugged into the house. Sure, I feel sorry for the UPS/USPS/FedEx carrier....but hey, that is their job, they get paid good money to carry such things to my door. I don't recall anyone every paying me to lug my cat litter from the store to my home....lol.
I could have saved my post. all of the above! I love the knock knock it's Amazon! Yay!

I get a second set of tongs for non-stick pans tomorrow. That is a very unexciting purchase, but it's like a present anything I get from them

I could never have ordered those with the threshold for free shipping. Or pay shipping just for a $5 item.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,223,133 times
i hate that amazon almost tricks you into the prime membership trial. I keep clicking the button and automatically get the trial and then I have to get someone to cancel it for me.

I can usually get free shipping by using the slow shipping but lately, I've been using Walmart.com (mostly cheaper) to get the free shipping to the store and using their pickup service which is not available nationwide. (they also announced free shipping without a membership fee)

Amazon wins on tax and often has stuff I can't find at walmart.com

I hate it when you buy a few items from Amazon and 1 thing is an addon item or they try to charge you crazy shipping for each item since they are coming from different sellers. I always feel like it's Amazon's way to convincing you to become a prime member.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,529,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yes, you can get the free shipping option, which is usually two days, sometimes it takes a bit longer. We have Amazon Prime and I save a ton of money not paying for shipping, but we also use Amazon to stream TV shows and movies, so at about the same price per month as Netflix, with free shipping makes it a good deal.
Most items on Amazon can shipped free even without Prime. I might spend $5 or $10 a year on shipping. Hardly worth it to have Prime. It might take a few extra days, but that's no big deal to me.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,941,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, if in a hurry for an item, it might make sense unless they fail to provide the 2 day service which leaves one waiting. And, if you communicate a problem to them, get ready for "Amazon India" and they don't seem to understand delivery options in our country.
I've never had a problem with Amazon's customer service. Of course they understand the delivery options in our country, its part of their job.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,265,497 times
I have been a Prime member for years. Love it. Not only do I get free shipping, but my husband is listed on my account as a family member and ALSO gets free shipping. So between the two of us, we save a lot on shipping costs year to year. We don't use Amazon TV streaming very much since a lot of what they offer for free is already available on Netflix.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,814,839 times
My brother also asks me to order stuff for him sometimes. I keep his credit card info on file and it also ships directly to his house. No skin off my back and we could split the cost but he doesn't order that often. Nice they allow us to ship to another address and use a cc not under my name even though they took away the account sharing some time back.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,884,079 times
$99 isn't free. So Amazon Prime never offers free shipping, no matter how hard they try to hawk their "free" shipping program. And they exclude many items from the "free" shipping, their things are often more expensive that other items in which you pay separate shipping costs, and most states have tax added on Fulfilled by Amazon items. I am not trying to bash Amazon. They are a great online shopping source. I'm just appalled how many people truly believe they are getting free shipping when they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products