Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I used to order some specialty seed for my fields from a big seed company 180 miles away.
About 6 ... 50 lb.... bags of a certain kind of seed.

It got delivered to my farm by whatever carrier was the cheapest.
A few years back the seed company said they would be sending my order via a freight company and it would be on a pallet in their warehouse 35 miles away ready for me to pick up.

He stated the reason the other carriers would not accept 50 lb sacks anymore is drivers were reporting injured backs ( especially from women who were hired) and thus 30 lbs would be the limit.

When a company (UPS, USPC, FED EX. SPEEDY ) has to deal with Workman Comp claims, they find a solution to lower the frequency of those claims.

I don't blame them at all !
I do blame them, the postal service in this thread if they are promising door to door deliver however. The postal service should never accept anything that the company recommends a team to lift. Its carriers are always alone and face the same hazards as that company's warehouse workers and they are not equipped with mechanical aids to help in that effort. There are other services for those heavy items since a union shop can not enforce a continued testing and assessment of its workforce to prove that they are still physically capable to do more that the shipper recommends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
The point which I was so obviously trying to make is that if you pay for a service that is what you should get.

I never said it was a woman but while we are on that subject, when my mail carrier was a guy I didn't have the problem.

"Equal work for equal pay" remember that? Well, if a woman cannot lift the packages she is paid to deliver how is that equal work for equal pay? Isn't that really equal pay for less work?

Anyway not my issue, I don't mean to be cold hearted but this is business. If I pay a company to do a job and the employee of that company cannot handle it, find someone who can, don't take the job or refund my money. If the postal service cannot ship packages over a certain weight then don't accept the package. Make sense?

Yes, they filed a false report saying they tried to deliver but could not. But I was home and they filed the report before they even delivered our regular mail so it was too obvious.

Too many people out of work, so lets stop this pandering to those who cannot do the job and get someone who can. The postage rates keep rising so there seems to be no problem with taking my money, only getting what I paid for.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All that because you don'[t like the USPS?

Plus, we just had a thread about what should be done about the USPS.

The consensus seemed to be that while it's not perfect (nor are any privately owned companies), the USPS fulfills a service that most Americans appreciate. Americans Rate Postal Service Highest of 13 Major Agencies | Gallup OR U.S. Postal Service: Americans Say Post Office Doing Good Job | Time.com
That was several years ago, I had no issue with them in 2014

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
The postage rates keep rising so there seems to be no problem with taking my money, only getting what I paid for.
But you paid someone else to set up the shipping right? So you really have no idea just what sort of arrangements they made? I think you need to complain to the seller and let them know you aren't satisfied with their shipping method, and suggest they use a different carrier.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But you paid someone else to set up the shipping right? So you really have no idea just what sort of arrangements they made? I think you need to complain to the seller and let them know you aren't satisfied with their shipping method, and suggest they use a different carrier.

I tried that with Amazon. I complained because my postal carrier frequently delivers my packages to the wrong address and tried to get out of delivering 20 pound bags of dog food (he scans them as "business closed" when I live in a single-family-home in a subdivisdion). Amazon said they cant use FedEx or UPS because USPS is cheaper. And, of course the post office doesnt care.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I order online all the time, especially my cat food, and I've never had a problem because everything comes either by UPS or FedEx. I order my cat food from www.chewy.com, and FedEx delivers the heavy (30lb-50lb) boxes right to my door within two days.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Yes, I've stopped ordering all pet food from Amazon and started ordering it from chewy.com. I love that chewy.com uses FedEx.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I tried that with Amazon. I complained because my postal carrier frequently delivers my packages to the wrong address and tried to get out of delivering 20 pound bags of dog food (he scans them as "business closed" when I live in a single-family-home in a subdivisdion). Amazon said they cant use FedEx or UPS because USPS is cheaper. And, of course the post office doesn't care.
I get the "business closed" message usually from Fedex when the driver is running late thus he still has packages on his truck at 6pm and I'm in a private residence also. My USPS delivers Amazon packages 7 days a week and I'm in the far out rural part of the county. I have no problem with USPS delivering my 30lb bags of dog food (even with those small jeep-like trucks they use).

Amazon itself doesn't make the decision of how it ships. That is the choice of the shipping warehouse. Personally I think the decision is left up to some kid throwing darts at the wall as I'll have the dog food arrive via USPS and a DVD arrive via UPS.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yes, I've stopped ordering all pet food from Amazon and started ordering it from chewy.com. I love that chewy.com uses FedEx.
Try Jet.com. They use also use Fedex and for some reason their packages arrive the next business day.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
...Amazon itself doesn't make the decision of how it ships. That is the choice of the shipping warehouse. Personally I think the decision is left up to some kid throwing darts at the wall as I'll have the dog food arrive via USPS and a DVD arrive via UPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Try Jet.com. They use also use Fedex and for some reason their packages arrive the next business day.

Yes, Amazon's cusftomer service dept said the same thing about how the shipping warehouse determines the shipping method. And thanks for the info about jet.com. I'll try them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products