Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
?? how does having YOUR phone number help them find who your last stylist was? t.
There is a high turnover of stylists in salons anyway. The phone number is likely used for marketing purposes, the information sold to other businesses. I wish I'd never given them my phone number years ago when I did. But, as I said, I cut my hair at home now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Default Those membership discount cards.

Don't use them. They track you with them.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
?? how does having YOUR phone number help them find who your last stylist was? Sounds like something they should just ask you directly
I think the idea is that they create a record for you based on your phone number. Your name (so they can then greet you by name), details about how they cut your hair, maybe the color number/brand of the last hair coloring product used. But many people get their hair cut differently all the time - a bit shorter in the summer maybe. And there again, different stylists have different interpretations of how much an "inch" is.

I agree - it's a marketing tool. Nothing more. I've quit going to those places. I used to tell them very coldly "it's unlisted" when asked for my phone number. Now I usually go to a place where they only ask for my first name. The stylists don't speak English well at all, so each hair cut is a communication challenge. I often look like I've had an encounter with a lawn mower when I leave! But the hair cuts are cheap and they grow out. Plus I am never pestered for my personal information!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
As some have stated, just say "no".

However, my experience at Sears was that I had a very long wait because the only guy in lawn department who could ring up the sale of my push mower was the same guy who was trying to enter the entire " life history" of the customer ahead of me.

Hey SEARS...........Don't have your cashier/salesman being the one to enter a customers life time data/history when other customers want to buy something and get the heck out of there !

Old 03-13-2017, 01:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I also refuse to give them my real name. I am getting my hair cut, not entering into a personal relationship with these people. I go through the alphabet with them, giving them a different name every time I go there
What do you think is going to happen if your hair stylist knows your real name?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Sure it does. I have a blank card, and a couple of cards with John Doe, no addresses, etc. Plus I do pay cash. Most clerks will scan the store card at the register for you anyway. I have often been asked to "share" mine with the person in front of me as well.
Sure you can do this if you are particularly diligent about always paying cash - including at the gas pump if your rewards card includes discount on your gas purchase. All it takes is one swipe though to link all the accounts. Most people aren't as diligent as they think they are.

The fact remains it is all a choice -

Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I think the idea is that they create a record for you based on your phone number. Your name (so they can then greet you by name), details about how they cut your hair, maybe the color number/brand of the last hair coloring product used.
Yes, a phone number is more unique then someone's name. Some names, they might have 10+ people with that name, so then they'll have to ask for a phone number or address to figure out which "Ashley Jones" you are. Instead of asking a bunch of questions, its easiest to just go with information that will bring up just one person.

Yes, people change phone numbers. But its unlikely that the person who prrviously had your number has their hair cut at the same place. And if they do? Then its a rare occasion that a number brings up two people instead of the multiples that almost every name would.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, a phone number is more unique then someone's name. Some names, they might have 10+ people with that name, so then they'll have to ask for a phone number or address to figure out which "Ashley Jones" you are. Instead of asking a bunch of questions, its easiest to just go with information that will bring up just one person.

Yes, people change phone numbers. But its unlikely that the person who prrviously had your number has their hair cut at the same place. And if they do? Then its a rare occasion that a number brings up two people instead of the multiples that almost every name would.
But there again, why do they care about which "Ashley Jones" you are? Unless it's for marketing purposes. They are cutting your hair, not performing a medical procedure!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What do you think is going to happen if your hair stylist knows your real name?
Probably not a whole lot will happen. But why do they need to know? I am getting my hair cut. Not having a mammogram!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Man, this is everywhere! I thought the U.S. was the worst, but here in So. America, we have to show a stupid "loyalty card" (I loathe that term!!) at the supermarket, cash or not.

Then, at another supermarket in a bigger city, we had to show our national ID card (like a drivers license) for a CASH purchase! The cashier entered all kinds of info into her computer from our card...sheesh! For some wine and snacks. Tracking the gringos or what??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products