Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Huh? That's too big of a coincidence. The receipt they find in the parking lot, on the ground, would have to have the same item on it, as what they stole.

Sorry, but this is extremely unlikely to happen.

I'm going to assume you were joking about this?

I assumed they were pros, collected receipts, and then stole the corresponding item for cash return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Huh? That's too big of a coincidence. The receipt they find in the parking lot, on the ground, would have to have the same item on it, as what they stole.

Sorry, but this is extremely unlikely to happen.

I'm going to assume you were joking about this?

It's no joke. It happens every single day. Ask someone that works in Loss Prevention at any major retailer. Once the theif has the receipt they walk into the store, pick the item up off of the shelf and then take it to customer service for a refund.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Just make up a name and other information if you "have" to give information and you don't want to.
If you give them made up information, then you are making it easy for them to continue asking for information that is none of their business!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Yeah, the grocery stores that use "loyalty" cards are very clever, like Kroger. They have 2 sets of prices on most things: one higher price (without the card) and one lower price (with the card). Basically they are forcing shoppers to use their card or pay more. Total ripoff! When you get a card, it's mailed to your home address, so they have your information. I hate all the "tracking" that's going on, just by walking into a store and making a small cash purchase, or by manipulating prices to force people to use grocery loyalty cards or pay more. I rarely shop at Kroger, but now and then I do go because it's close to where I live, unfortunately.

I will say one thing that's good about tracking: Because you sign up for a membership at Costco, they obviously have all your info, but of course it is a choice to get a membership or not. They are excellent at returns, so I don't have any issues with that. However, I did get an email a few months ago about a recall issued on some Kirkland vitamins I had purchased. Since I don't regularly check the FDA site for recalls, it was good that they notified me so I could return the vitamins to the store for a refund. But again, people choose to use Costco and hand over their information. That's very different from a store asking for it just to make a cash purchase, such as DSW and others.

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/d...m#Link_to_Food
Totally agree! They make you look at the different prices and feel awful that you are paying the higher price when all their members are paying the lower price. Sometimes you just feel forced to sign up, especially if it is a really good rewards program, otherwise, I won't, even if the clerks get really aggressive about joining and that happens sometimes but all I say is give me a brochure and I will think about it. We can't even do the simplest things these days without being tracked and I am sure they have little profiles of each of us and the products we use. I'm not a smoker but I am thinking that they track smokers, too and how many packs a day they smoke - that kind of information would be scary if a medical insurer got a hold of it. I sometimes think about the olden days and how much simpler it was then without the technology we have now.

At Costco you do make a decision to hand over your information, but you do it knowingly, same with car purchases and the only good thing is just like you said, in case of recalls, you will get notified, I also don't follow the FDA stuff, who does?

I know it is not the clerk's fault that they ask these questions because they are probably directed to, but the way they ask, too is a problem, like we owe it to tell them, even if we are paying in cash. If I am paying in cash, just give me my change and I'm out of there.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
They find the receipt and walk into the store, pick the exact same item up off the shelf and take it to customer service to get a cash refund for the item they have a receipt for. They can even say the item still has the tags and is in pristine condition.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,549 times
It happened again today at a clothing store. They didn't have my size & were gonna order it & send it to me. Fine. She wanted my email, I said no. Got the spiel abt sending me a receipt. That's ok, print me one now. But...but...you won't have a tracking number. I don't care, I don't need to track it. But what if you want to check on it. I'm confident you'll send it to me & I know where to find you if I don't receive it in a reasonable time. She relented, but printed me the webpage with the tracking number LOL. I've lived most of my life without tracking numbers, I truly don't care, but she really couldn't believe I could comfortably live my life, without having the tracking number

Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
I was in Tesco in Glasgow last week buying food etc... one of the items was Ecover toilet cleaner..... so at the checkout the girl asked for my postcode which I foolishly gave her, why the hell do they need it..... so I came home and put the food away then came on to look at emails. and on one it was an ad for Ecover , something I hadnt bought for a few years.. so was their something on my receipt and my post code that gave this info or was it coincidence.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,823 times
Open an email address for just dumping this kind of use. You dont have to check it either.
Mae

Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was in Tesco in Glasgow last week buying food etc... one of the items was Ecover toilet cleaner..... so at the checkout the girl asked for my postcode which I foolishly gave her, why the hell do they need it..... so I came home and put the food away then came on to look at emails. and on one it was an ad for Ecover , something I hadnt bought for a few years.. so was their something on my receipt and my post code that gave this info or was it coincidence.
It's really not a big deal. You may now clean your toilet.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM

296 posts, read 232,392 times
If they just ask for your zip code, they're just trying to figure out where their customers are coming from and how far they travel. They may be considering opening new stores.

But any more than that? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products