Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times

Advertisements

No. No. No.

Some corp yup head dreamed this crap up.

Want something for free? Go do it in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where the heck are you shopping? I won't even give out my zip code because it can be linked to my credit card. Numerous stores have had a credit card breach and their database of customer info was put together with the credit card data which lead to a disaster for many of us.

When asked for my zip code, I always say no. Just no. If they say they have to have it, I say no you don't. If you truly require it, then I'll make my purchase elsewhere.....magically they don't need it.
I will give either 99762 (Nome, Alaska) or 00901 (San Juan, Puerto Rico) as my zip code. If enough people did stuff like this it would screw up their demographic analysis of where their customers are coming from.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 AM

45 posts, read 57,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I wouldn't take this personally if customers won't give out their personal information. It is nothing against you. They should not have to do this. It's not "attitude". It's having a backbone. I'm sure it's quite disturbing when people say no.
I could care less if they supply the information or not, however, it is always nicer when the response is a polite no, and not a profanity laden speech,.. which is definitely an attitude.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
They used to ask me my zip code and I would say no thank you, you don't need that or not even answer depending on mood. I just have to remember it is not the clerks fault and be polite to them.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I will give either 99762 (Nome, Alaska) or 00901 (San Juan, Puerto Rico) as my zip code. If enough people did stuff like this it would screw up their demographic analysis of where their customers are coming from.
I've said 90210 before.....as in Beverly Hills, 90210 the tv show. Now I just say no.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What stores are demanding your personal information and then refusing to do business with you if you don't give it to them?
I wonder this as well. I've been asked for zip codes and for email only. Never anything else. The cashier has never argued when I've politely declined to provide, and Ive certainly never had the transaction stopped because I didn't provide personal information.

Where are you shopping?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I've never been asked for anything other than an email address, so they can spam me with advertisements and coupons. The checkout process in some stores has become just as annoying as being followed around and asked if I need help every 2 minutes.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Sounds like you are describing Sears !

A couple years back I went in to buy a push mulching mower.
I waited and waited because the guy ahead of me was buying a rider and they wanted ALL information imaginable.

Finally, when it came my turn, the young man started in on me.
I stated I have my check book with, want to write a check, and be gone.

He stated he would get in trouble if he doesn't register my email and enter me into their data base.
I refused and was ready to leave before he relented.

Last year I stopped in to buy a blade for my push mower.
The same guy came with 3 pages of papers he wanted me to fill out before he rang up the sale.

Knock it off Sears !
Do they think the push mulching mower can be used as some sort of lethal weapon or something? That is bizarre. And how much do those cost? If I were a salesperson, especially if working on any kind of commission structure, I would not want to risk a customer getting upset. I'd just sell it to them.

But thanks for posting this, since some posters here claim these kinds of things don't go on in stores.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I wonder this as well. I've been asked for zip codes and for email only. Never anything else. The cashier has never argued when I've politely declined to provide, and Ive certainly never had the transaction stopped because I didn't provide personal information.

Where are you shopping?

My experience was at Sears!

I don't know where the OP's was, but he described the Sears by me perfectly!

Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Where are you shopping?
Your zip code actually is personal information. When you pay with a credit card, they can link the zip code to your name and then you will get all kinds of junk mail and possibly phone calls as well.

Although it may sound harmless for someone to ask for a zip code, it's not.

Here’s Why You Might Want to Stop Giving Out Your ZIP Code to Stores – TheBlaze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products