Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
If you use Amazon, I've found that the several mall GC's I've ever had work there. You can buy an Amazon gift code for the exact amount left, right down to the penny. Then input the gift code into your account and it stays there as a credit. Never expires, no limitations on how it is spent. And not nearly as embarrassing as going back to the mall and having it not work again.
Really, thanks for the info. I'd never know to even check. How did you find out about this?

I'm trying to buy an Amazon gift card (hope that's the same as gift code). But at the point when I pay, there's only choices for credit card OR an Amazon.com card. Plus, what would I put for expiration date? I'm fiddling around trying to see if anything works. How do I pay w/ a mall GC?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-10-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Really, thanks for the info. I'd never know to even check. How did you find out about this?
I don't remember exactly, but the person explaining it to me said the GCs are Visa or Mastercard or Amex branded and the retailer/mall has their name put their name on the card hoping that the recipients will be reminded to use the card at their mall. But the card is actually good wherever Visa/MC/Amex is accepted.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Put the GC in your cart. Then when you go to the pay page where it asks you to choose a payment method it gives you an option to add a credit/debit card. Just put in the card number there.

Darn, I can't remember what to put in the exp date if there is none on the card. Try leaving it blank? Shoot wish I could remember the details.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Now I didn't have to go this far, but another person I told this to even said to inform them that if this situation's not rectified, to tell them that the media/newspapers will be told. Yeah, that will give them a good scare into fixing things!
You must have been having a bad day otherwise, because I truly see no reason to be so up in arms about this.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Regarding the mall GC I suspect you were told correctly and the employee was simply not trained. Unlike the store GCs, the "generic" Visa, mall, etc. GCs are rather inconvenient since you do need to know the exact amount and the cashier needs to put that exact amount as payment. Because it's not a store GC, the store can't know the balance and they also can't request full payment if balance does not cover it - the whole thing will be just returned.

We sometimes get rebates as such cards and then I usually go to Target and ask them to put N $ on that card and the rest on my CC. (I try to spend the whole amount in full at once.) I've done it many times, however, last time, just like in your case, the cashier claimed they can't do that. But I insisted it was possible, so another person stepped in and it indeed went through.

It totally sucks when this happens but hardly worth it alerting the media. Going forward, I'd ask for a manager at the store when there is a GC problem and just stay away from "generic" GC in future. You might want to call the store that did not accept mall GC and politely raise a concern. Maybe you'll get a discount or at least an apology.

Also for such complaints the state attorney general's consumer protection division is a better channel than media. But I do agree with others that this particular case is just not worth it. There was no intention to defraud you, I believe, it's just an unfortunate incident.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2017, 06:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Gift cards are scams. The stores get easy profit when card holders never get around to or are blocked from spending the balance. Then they get more profit as the balances are automatically reduced, which you may eventually find in the fine print. Sometimes a chain will continue selling cards as they close stores and leave customers holding empty plastic.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Yeah well, this time, I didn't have that much less on it, so I wasn't out too much money, but still out of something. I still haven't had a chance to go back to the mall & see if it works at another store yet.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
A cashier got caught and fired for scamming gift card holders.

If they used a gift card where she had to enter the amount still available after a purchase, she credited the cardholder with half the actual amount and added the other half onto a gift card she had for herself.

Right after Christmas many gift cards came thru her check out line.

She ripped off many people before being caught and fired.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:39 PM

^ Terrible, but not surprised. People out there do all kinds of underhanded things.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 447 times
Thank God! I never had that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products