Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
........ but I'm curious, what would you do and what has been your experience when companies do things like this?
YEARS ago, I bought a case (1000-1250 rounds) of ammo at a gun show. As I was moving through the show, continuing my shopping, I looked at my receipts to see how much I had already spent and found that they had only charged me half for the case.

I went back, pointed out the error, and paid the correct amount.

A, B, C.

A: I am an honest person, I will point out the mistakes even if they are in my favor.

B: By doing that correction, I established a good relationship with the company. They taught me about which countries not to buy ammo from and gave me breaks for many years (until the father owner died).

C: If I cheat the merchants I buy from and they go out of business, then where does that leave me for the supplies that I need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Wait, are you expecting us to believe that you didn't know the price when you brought it to the register?

But, no, I wouldn't pay it, and am surprised they'd ask. What store is it?

If it were me, I'd ask them to lay it all out in writing and send it to me, and that I would check with the attorney general's office to see if they have a leg to stand on.
Agree. Get it in writing. Check with an attorney if you know one who knows what they're doing, or with the county prosecutor.

And if I saw a fan on the shelf for 400 bucks I'd keep going.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So OP, just for the sake of argument, let's say you have a garage sale and you sell your neighbor a knock off of an expensive designer item you own, only to find out after that you actually sold the designer item itself, for a fraction of it's worth. Do you chalk it up to innocent mistake and eat the (very large) loss, or do you go to the neighbor, explain the mistake and offer to swap with her the item you both thought she was paying for? If she refuses do you hold a grudge?

Ultimately in this scenario it's a transaction. The buyer isn't responsible in educating the seller as to the value of a item they are selling. You demanded x price and the buyer met it or negotiated a price both parties agreed upon. Money and item exchanged hands. It's done. I would tell you to go pound sand.

First if all before selling anything you as a seller should educate yourself as to the value of the item you're selling. With the tools today available to anyone there is absolutely no excuse.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:50 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
And the 'sellers' are people, they make mistakes. An unmarked item sitting on the shelf may have been mistaken for a very similar item or the cashier may have typed in the item bar code incorrectly and not realized that the xyz fan showing on the receipt was not the abc fan that was actually in the cart. If you have the ability to be that familiar with the thousands of products sitting in any one store, more power to you. If you have never made a mistake while doing your job, well that's amazing and good for you. However I am merely pointing out that it was a mistake on the part of the employees, no one had any intention of doing anything dishonest or accusing the OP of trying to pull a fast one. But now that she has been made aware of the mistake what should she do?
She could go tell them to pound sound, of course she will lose her membership as a result, is it worth it to her?
Should the response to the mistake be different because it's a business, would you tell a friend or family member to pound sound if they incurred a loss due to making a mistake? Would you eat a big loss without complaint if you made the mistake? Would the response be different if the error was ten dollars instead of three hundred? Does your sense of what is right and wrong change because of who you are dealing with or because of the amount of money involved?

Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Wait a minute the OP did nothing wrong. The cashier and supervisor both had every chance to get it straight OR remove the item from sale until it could be straightened out. OP ignore them and if they try to charge your credit card fight it.
And don't forget the third person at the door....who Costco flat out states is there to make sure things aren't stolen or priced incorrectly.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
You could tell the person to whom you gifted the fan that it has been "recalled". That way, you don't have to 'lie' as, technically, it HAS been recalled! Then go to another store and buy one you can afford and maybe it won't be so embarrassing??
I like this idea. It could work.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So OP, just for the sake of argument, let's say you have a garage sale and you sell your neighbor a knock off of an expensive designer item you own, only to find out after that you actually sold the designer item itself, for a fraction of it's worth. Do you chalk it up to innocent mistake and eat the (very large) loss, or do you go to the neighbor, explain the mistake and offer to swap with her the item you both thought she was paying for? If she refuses do you hold a grudge?
Assuming my neighbor is a stranger, then I chalk it up to a mistake that I made and learn that I need to be more careful next time. I'd probably be upset with myself and upset about the money, but in the end, I know it was still my mistake and I won't ask for it back. It's also why I am having a super hard time asking for the fan back. That's just not who I am.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
And don't forget the third person at the door....who Costco flat out states is there to make sure things aren't stolen or priced incorrectly.
The person at the door counts the items in your cart to make sure the count matches what is on the receipt - nothing more. They do not have every price in the store in their heads.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The person at the door counts the items in your cart to make sure the count matches what is on the receipt - nothing more. They do not have every price in the store in their heads.
Sorry, but you're wrong. This is straight from their website's FAQ.

https://customerservice.costco.com/a...714/kw/receipt

Quote:
Why do I have to show my receipt at the door?
It is standard practice at all of our warehouse locations to verify purchase receipts when customers exit our buildings.

This practice is a double check to ensure the items purchased have been correctly processed by our cashiers. This is our most effective method of maintaining accuracy in inventory control. It is also a good way to see that our members have been charged properly for their purchases.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:41 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you're wrong. This is straight from their website's FAQ.

https://customerservice.costco.com/a...714/kw/receipt
That does not mean they are checking prices, it simply means they are checking to see that you were charged for the number of items in your basket. Were you charged twice for an item, or more importantly (for them) did you get charged for everything in your cart or did that big bag of dog food underneath, or the huge plasma TV in your arms somehow not get rung up? It's about inventory control, not pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products