Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times

Advertisements

It is very simple math. Plus at most stores I've shopped at they have how much things cost an ounce in the fine print or how much an item cost's per item you get in 2 for 4 type situations. To figure out how much things cost per ounce just divide the number of ounces by the price. Bam you will find the cheapest price this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
To really save money, only buy what you will use and what you need now. I will check out BOGO free or 1/2 off, but if I won't use it in a reasonable amount of time, if it will go bad before I use it, if I don't have room to store it,or I just don't need it even though it is "on sale", I don't buy it.

I hate games and I usually don't play them. Must have a store card to get the lower price (Walgreen's) , nope, I don't shop there.

As far as voting with my wallet, the corporations don't feel the result of me, just one person, not shopping at their stores. It would take far more people to quit shopping at their stores for them to feel the results of a lower profit margin. Not gonna happen.

Also, if the larger item is less expensive but I will waste the unused portion (I live alone and don't really like to reheat food, when I have a craving I fill it then, and don't want leftovers later) I spend the money and buy the size I will use without wasting or having to refrigerate before tossing because it went bad.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
To really save money, only buy what you will use and what you need now. I will check out BOGO free or 1/2 off, but if I won't use it in a reasonable amount of time, if it will go bad before I use it, if I don't have room to store it,or I just don't need it even though it is "on sale", I don't buy it.

I hate games and I usually don't play them. Must have a store card to get the lower price (Walgreen's) , nope, I don't shop there.

As far as voting with my wallet, the corporations don't feel the result of me, just one person, not shopping at their stores. It would take far more people to quit shopping at their stores for them to feel the results of a lower profit margin. Not gonna happen.

Also, if the larger item is less expensive but I will waste the unused portion (I live alone and don't really like to reheat food, when I have a craving I fill it then, and don't want leftovers later) I spend the money and buy the size I will use without wasting or having to refrigerate before tossing because it went bad.
Exactly. Kroger is bad about this. Not only do they make you use a store card to get a good deal, they have that ridiculous system where you have to buy 10 mix and match items to get the special. We have a household of 2 people. I am not going to buy 10 things to get a good price. At HEB, you get a good price (or sometimes you don't) but there are no games.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Albertsons is the worst I've seen.

Sale price, 2 for, 4 for, 10 for, oh but you need 3 other qualifying items for the 4 for pricing and blah blah blah.

Just tell me how much it costs!!!!

It's not s game show I don't want to be surprised when I get to the checkout. I would buy more but it's so aggravating to find out you're not saving $10 or $15 when you checkout I just leave all the crap on the shelves and buy a bare minimum.

Am I the only one who hates this?
Just buy what you need.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
It is very simple math. Plus at most stores I've shopped at they have how much things cost an ounce in the fine print or how much an item cost's per item you get in 2 for 4 type situations. To figure out how much things cost per ounce just divide the number of ounces by the price. Bam you will find the cheapest price this way.
Ok. I was at Walmart trying to get the best deal on paper plates. Their individual pricing calculation was WRONG!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 AM

190 posts, read 247,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
If you started grocery shopping on a budget prior to the IPhone era you have not problem with those adds.
I agree. I was born before iphones and hence did some basic shopping before these things were around. So I am not confused when they say 4 or $10, 3 or $2, etc. I also seen "buy three and get product for $1.60 each," and if you got 1 or 2 then it was regular price or slight sale. Something along those lines.

Its really not that hard, but to know if you got a good deal for a 3 for $5, 2 for $3, etc then you need to know throughout the year what sale prices are, if any. If its not on sale than of course its better than nothing. If it rarely is, whats the price? Maybe you can wait.

The only part that is good about carrying smartphone is calculator to calculate the 3 for $5, 2 for $3, etc so you know how much you paying per item as compared to regular price.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:07 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Albertsons is the worst I've seen.

Sale price, 2 for, 4 for, 10 for, oh but you need 3 other qualifying items for the 4 for pricing and blah blah blah.

Just tell me how much it costs!!!!

It's not s game show I don't want to be surprised when I get to the checkout. I would buy more but it's so aggravating to find out you're not saving $10 or $15 when you checkout I just leave all the crap on the shelves and buy a bare minimum.

Am I the only one who hates this?
Maybe the rules are different in different states, but they make it pretty clear here. For instance if Pepsi 12-packs say "4 for $12.00". it will say right on the tag "Must Buy 4" if you really have to buy 4. We don't have Albertson's, but we have Acme, which I believe is the same parent company. But again, maybe NJ requires the rules be clearer, I don't know.

Sometimes they have promotions when I buy things online for delivery or pick-up (our ShopRite has a service where they will pack it all up and you just come pick it up) that are confusing...for instance it will say "Save $15.00 off your Shop at Home order when you buy 8 Proctor and Gamble products" or whatever, and those I don't even bother with, but I don't see that type of promo in the store itself.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:55 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I take my grocery list with me to the store, I buy what's on the list, take any coupons with me, if it's on sale it's a bonus, if not I still got what I came for.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post

Please see Jowel's comment. They don't use the same units to make it harder for you to compare prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
I agree. I was born before iphones and hence did some basic shopping before these things were around. So I am not confused when they say 4 or $10, 3 or $2, etc. I also seen "buy three and get product for $1.60 each," and if you got 1 or 2 then it was regular price or slight sale. Something along those lines.

Its really not that hard, but to know if you got a good deal for a 3 for $5, 2 for $3, etc then you need to know throughout the year what sale prices are, if any. If its not on sale than of course its better than nothing. If it rarely is, whats the price? Maybe you can wait.

The only part that is good about carrying smartphone is calculator to calculate the 3 for $5, 2 for $3, etc so you know how much you paying per item as compared to regular price.
The problem isn't doing the math, the problem is I'm in a time crunch and don't have the time to do this for every item on the list.

Unfortunately there is little competition in our area, so the choice is pretty much take it or leave it. That's the true problem with the mega giant stores. While there may be competition nationally, in many smaller towns there isn't.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 PM

178 posts, read 173,769 times
Im in my mid 70's and have a sort of fixed diet for my health. I buy almost the same foods every week and try my best for getting a good value using coupons and such.
Over the past 3 years my cost has more than doubled. Almost tripled. Ive noticed they try all sorts of tricks like shrinking the weights of the goods or adding water instead of the tuna in the can. The item seems to cost only a little more but the amount that you actually receive is much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products