Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times

Advertisements

Albertson's has always been 'different' in their practices. Is it a good practice to be outside the norm? For some yes, for your regular grocer, not so much.

Is it wrong, not really, it's a choice. You have one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Our store does a math trick. Follow along,
Item is 50 % off, and today only we will give you an additional 10%. Common math would say hey that is 60% off then. But oh contrere'! It's not
So if you went to a store that said you would get an additional 50% off something that was already marked down 50%, you would think it was free? Common math would say you don't just add up the percentages like that.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
What puzzles me the most is why the corporate-office folks who design these sales for the chain have to make them so difficult to understand and implement. Do they earn points with their bosses for turning a simple promo into such a production?

It's a PITA for the store employees (having to explain the 'rules' of the sale repeatedly), and the scanning department has to do all sorts of tricks with the register's software to calculate things like "the cookies ring up free if they buy three of these and two of that"-type promotions. I'm sure we've all been stuck in that special version of Hell where a customer is having a meltdown at the cash register and holding up the line over 15 cents that was supposed to be knocked off that can of beans because 'the sign didn't say I had to buy three' or some such. They likely get a number of complaints sent to corporate about such intricate sale strategies (from people who might feel they were 'cheated' somehow, or whatever), documenting how the customers hate jumping through all the hoops. It's also maddening when a store has the nerve to expect us to jump through those hoops in the hopes of saving a few pennies, like offering treats to dogs who will do tricks.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
What puzzles me the most is why the corporate-office folks who design these sales for the chain have to make them so difficult to understand and implement. Do they earn points with their bosses for turning a simple promo into such a production?

It's a PITA for the store employees (having to explain the 'rules' of the sale repeatedly), and the scanning department has to do all sorts of tricks with the register's software to calculate things like "the cookies ring up free if they buy three of these and two of that"-type promotions. I'm sure we've all been stuck in that special version of Hell where a customer is having a meltdown at the cash register and holding up the line over 15 cents that was supposed to be knocked off that can of beans because 'the sign didn't say I had to buy three' or some such. They likely get a number of complaints sent to corporate about such intricate sale strategies (from people who might feel they were 'cheated' somehow, or whatever), documenting how the customers hate jumping through all the hoops. It's also maddening when a store has the nerve to expect us to jump through those hoops in the hopes of saving a few pennies, like offering treats to dogs who will do tricks.
Amen...

You can just see the meeting where someone suggests the latest (semi-complex) scheme to incent the poor shopper to buy 2 more $2.00 items to save $3.00 on the batch...by combining these items with 2 other totally unrelated things (you passed 10 minutes ago) at the other end of the store (do they even think of this?). Then the "boss" says great idea Buddy! ...make it happen

Stores I shop now. hang more of...and more complex...little signs that (in small print that few past 50 can read, let alone comprehend) try to explain "simply" the arcane rules of the "buy 10 of these (dozen different items) and save $2.00 special" or whatever. Of course, these signs are different than the other little "buy 6 of these and save $.50 per item off the already on sale price if you have our card. Them there are the signs that they want you to SCAN with their nifty new app at the item to get the discount when you check out...

BTW, doesn't EVERYONE have ALL the stupid store shopper cards yet???? When will someone consolidate them into one "super shopper card" tracking every purchase you ever made anywhere... instantly and print out coupons based on that?....some day ...maybe. Oh...heck they are already on that path by adding yet another set of new "apps" to your "smart" phone (smart phone, dumb users?) soon to be replaced by a little RFID/scanable implant in your hand, ear, nose, or tooth...thus eliminating the smart phone?

...maybe about 10 years... unless this phase is skipped entirely by shopping (it won't be called shopping by then...just resupply) where Amazon (and Jet...) robot/drone deliver food n stuff based on your pantry contents or dinner plans (think Blue Apron, Dominos, etc)

Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
BTW, doesn't EVERYONE have ALL the stupid store shopper cards yet???? When will someone consolidate them into one "super shopper card" tracking every purchase you ever made anywhere... instantly and print out coupons based on that?....some day ...maybe.
None of the grocery stores around here have shopper cards. In glad I don't have to rember to scan something every time I go shopping just to get the sale price.

I also haven't noticed any of the weird sales that others have mentioned. The closest I can think of is save a $1 when you buy 4 General Mills brand cereal or buy 10 Red Gold branded tomatoes products get the 11th free. They're always sales that are based on the same brand, not random items throughout the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products