Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

I ended up buying a style called American Craft from 1888 Mills at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are 100% cotton and made in the USA.

It took forever for whatever sizing they used on the yarn to wash out. They are adequate, but still not as soft as towels I have bought in the past.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I still want to get more towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
We just bought towels from Brook Linen.
They are heavyweight and 100% Turkish cotton.
The first set was defective with many missing loops. It went back.
The second set is good, but not very absorbent yet. I think it will take at least 10 washings for them to equal our 15-year-old Restoration Hardware towels.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I originally joined CD because I couldn't find decent towels. I still can't find decent towels.

But someone did explain to me that the American cotton producers went out of business. American cotton was the best. Cannon towels were good and Martex were better, I think. There were a few other really good brands. They used Egyptian pima cotton grown here.

Now the towels are made in other countries and I've heard that even if it's Egyptian cotton, it probably isn't as good as American grown Egyptian cotton. (It gets complicated.)

Another thing I couldn't/can't find are regular sized bath towels; they are all huge bath sheets.

Anyway, I have never found towels that compare to my old Martex pima cotton towels bought twenty years ago. The ones from the guest bathroom are still going strong after all these years!

If I had to buy towels today I would probably go with Ralph Lauren to get decent quality. Another brand I investigated was The Company Store--they seemed good too.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
This what I got. The cotton is grown in the US and the towels are made in the US. Standard bath towels are available.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...lection/235858

Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This what I got. The cotton is grown in the US and the towels are made in the US. Standard bath towels are available.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...lection/235858
These are the ones that aren't very good? Maybe because they're not pima cotton or the loops aren't long enough or packed densely enough. The loops need to be long to be absorbent and loosely twisted instead of tightly twisted to be softer. Pima cotton has extra long fibers that can be woven into longer and softer textiles.

When I bought those good towels twenty eight (OMG, I thought it was "only" twenty) years ago, I had to spend a lot more money than I wanted to. Even back then a decent bath towel was really expensive. I went to a good department store and bought the second highest tier of towels they had. It was a case of you got what you paid for. I couldn't justify paying for their very top level though.

When I went to replace a few towels in about 2007, there was nothing available that even compared.

Martex, Stevens, those were the better brands. Cannon was lower but still good. Maybe if some American companies start taking pride in their cotton products again, we'll be able to find decent towels. I've looked but have given up. Good to know that at least you can get the standard size bath towels now--not all bath sheets.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Target has really nice, 100% cotton bath towels for $2.99 each. And they are big and soft.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:41 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...someone did explain to me that the American cotton producers went out of business. American cotton was the best. Cannon towels were good and Martex were better, I think. There were a few other really good brands.

I have never found towels that compare to my old Martex pima cotton towels bought twenty years ago. The ones from the guest bathroom are still going strong after all these years!
Yes. And Fieldcrest Royal Velvet, 100% combed cotton. I wonder if they even make these anymore. We still have a few hand towels that aren't used often, and the quality is so much better than half of what you find today.

Quote:
Another thing I couldn't/can't find are regular sized bath towels; they are all huge bath sheets.
I looked at the catalog for Lands End towels--what I usually buy--and they're all those huge bath sheets. They don't even fit on a regular sized towel rack to dry after a shower. Why do people like these? They're as big as beach towels.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
We had a pretty extensive conversation about towels here. Lots of info and recommendations:
//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...expensive.html

Old 05-26-2018, 11:42 AM

The Target towels are regular sized bath towels, not huge - and they are on the thinner side, which I like. And they are super affordable.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:32 PM

And absorbent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products