Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

When we moved to rural Maine, we knew all about PO Boxes and the problems with delivery from certain carriers. So instead of renting a PO Box, we went ahead and got a box at a UPS store. Now, no more worries about which carriers somebody will use. The UPS store accepts from everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Nope. Full post office only. No business, and yes they forwarded mail.

One was in CA (they didn't charge for the box because they had no home delivery). The other in WY, same situation.

We have also never used a UPS store for mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The "P" in PMB stands for Private Mail Box it is one to distinguish it from a USPS Post Office Box and it designates that address as a business, most are used for UPS stores and their competitors that give you a street address, but is actually a mail receiving location. since it is designated as a business should you move the postal service will not forward mail for an individual PMB renter/owner. It is all as in the entire UPS store gets forwarded or nothing.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I could not live without my Amazon Prime membership.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
It sounds like there is always going to be more delivery issues the further out you get from a city. The costs per delivery go way up when there are miles, not blocks between each stop. Much like cell phone coverage, there are going to be areas where there is no service. Being out in the sticks has great advantages, but delivery of anything like furniture is more expensive. and will take longer.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Nope. Full post office only. No business, and yes they forwarded mail.

One was in CA (they didn't charge for the box because they had no home delivery). The other in WY, same situation.

We have also never used a UPS store for mail.
That is PO Box not a PMB, unless the local postmaster overrode the rules and entered false data into the address management system. Being rural without the many layers of management trying to save on seconds per route the falsified data option is the most obvious route

Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am, or I should say - was a frequent Amazon buyer. Although I didn't like the shipping charges of many items, I did like the assurance that I was ordering through a secure company. Now, I will have to go back to ordering from any Tom, Dick, or Harry website and take the chance that something could go wrong and I will have to burn and replace a credit card.

My problem? Shipping via what carrier? I do not have a mailbox at my curb so the Postal Service will not deliver anything there (I do this because I can be away from the house for months at a time and this means that my mailbox will overflow and telegraph to thieves that I am not home). I have a PO box that I use to send all my mail too.

The benefits of this setup - aside from not giving thieves notice are:
  • Unlike my neighbors, I do not have to buy a mailbox post every 6 months to a year because some truck knocked it over.
  • I get almost no junk mail.
  • For some reason, this seems to keep jury duty notices away. Not sure why, the DMV has my PO Box address.

The down side - this is where Amazon comes in - is that I have to manage my special deliveries carefully.

Fed-Ex, UPS and other commercial delivery services will not deliver to my PO box, and as I said, the USPS will not deliver to my home, so I need to know how something is going to be shipped to me so I can select the right address.

When ordering from Amazon, I used to be able - when finalizing the order - to see how the package is to be shipped while viewing the shipping charges, recently (within the last month) Amazon seems to have changed their page and though they still list the shipping cost vs. days to delivery, it no longer says who the shipping company is. This is the reason my last three deliveries have gone astray.

Also in the past, Amazon used to say that you can contact the seller to redirect a package after it is ordered. For the last three packages, when I tried to contact them (minutes after the order was placed), I got emails back stating that the package had "already been shipped" and therefore they cannot make a change.

I have tried contacting the company before the order was placed, but then they say, "we cannot make any changes until after the order is placed (they have no account to place a note against in their software when no order has been generated yet).

Phone number? I've been able to find the seller's number, but for the last three orders NOBODY answers the phone. It just rings, and rings, and rings.

I was able to navigate the horrendous "help" menu Amazon uses to attempt to PREVENT you from contacting them to ask a question they have not already decided they will answer. (If their help menu does not provide an answer the only thing you can do is leave feedback that the question was not answered and they will "make a note of it.")

Every once in a while you can get lucky and one of the menu choices will lead to a "call me" page where you can get someone from Amazon to call you. But like most phone drones these days, they have no authority to actually get anything done. They will listen, but I don't think any of them will ever escalate a customer concern to management... They just shine you on, then move on to the next call. For my last lost package, the phone drone told me she would put a note on my order so that when my undeliverable package is bounced back to the shipper, they will note that the delivery is to be redirected to my PO box. I just got notice yesterday that my lost package is being re-shipped - right back to my home address where they couldn't deliver to last week.

Am I the only one who is lately having trouble getting Amazon to deliver correctly?
I have the same issue. I live on a second floor, and USPS employees are not allowed to carry packages up stairs. I used to get a LOT of things by subscribe and save, and would get a big, heavy box. UPS carries it up, USPS leaves it downstairs in a parking lot, where it can be stolen or sitting out in pouring rain if I'm at work.

I called them about it, and the gist of the conversation was that humans are no longer in charge at Amazon. A computer decides how your items are being shipped, no one there knows what it bases on and all said they have no way to intervene in the computer's decision. Welcome to the future.

In the end, I got rid of all the heavy things from my S&S, and am getting more things shipped to my bf's house. I have thought of not using it and do get some things now from Target (free shipping all the time on any purchase and 5% off if you use a Target credit card) and Jet, but they don't have all those weird, hard to find things Amazon does.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:55 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
See if there is an Amazon locker near you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201117850

Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
See if there is an Amazon locker near you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201117850
That's what I was going to suggest too.

The nearest one to my house is about 15 miles away, but I still use it sometimes if I'm ordering something expensive and there's a chance I won't be home when it's delivered. It's not far from my husband's job and he really enjoys picking up from the locker.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 PM

65 posts, read 79,337 times
I work at amazon(well our company does)and I can answer all questions

Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am, or I should say - was a frequent Amazon buyer. Although I didn't like the shipping charges of many items, I did like the assurance that I was ordering through a secure company. Now, I will have to go back to ordering from any Tom, Dick, or Harry website and take the chance that something could go wrong and I will have to burn and replace a credit card.

My problem? Shipping via what carrier? I do not have a mailbox at my curb so the Postal Service will not deliver anything there (I do this because I can be away from the house for months at a time and this means that my mailbox will overflow and telegraph to thieves that I am not home). I have a PO box that I use to send all my mail too.

The benefits of this setup - aside from not giving thieves notice are:
  • Unlike my neighbors, I do not have to buy a mailbox post every 6 months to a year because some truck knocked it over.
  • I get almost no junk mail.
  • For some reason, this seems to keep jury duty notices away. Not sure why, the DMV has my PO Box address.

The down side - this is where Amazon comes in - is that I have to manage my special deliveries carefully.

Fed-Ex, UPS and other commercial delivery services will not deliver to my PO box, and as I said, the USPS will not deliver to my home, so I need to know how something is going to be shipped to me so I can select the right address.

When ordering from Amazon, I used to be able - when finalizing the order - to see how the package is to be shipped while viewing the shipping charges, recently (within the last month) Amazon seems to have changed their page and though they still list the shipping cost vs. days to delivery, it no longer says who the shipping company is. This is the reason my last three deliveries have gone astray.

Also in the past, Amazon used to say that you can contact the seller to redirect a package after it is ordered. For the last three packages, when I tried to contact them (minutes after the order was placed), I got emails back stating that the package had "already been shipped" and therefore they cannot make a change.

I have tried contacting the company before the order was placed, but then they say, "we cannot make any changes until after the order is placed (they have no account to place a note against in their software when no order has been generated yet).

Phone number? I've been able to find the seller's number, but for the last three orders NOBODY answers the phone. It just rings, and rings, and rings.

I was able to navigate the horrendous "help" menu Amazon uses to attempt to PREVENT you from contacting them to ask a question they have not already decided they will answer. (If their help menu does not provide an answer the only thing you can do is leave feedback that the question was not answered and they will "make a note of it.")

Every once in a while you can get lucky and one of the menu choices will lead to a "call me" page where you can get someone from Amazon to call you. But like most phone drones these days, they have no authority to actually get anything done. They will listen, but I don't think any of them will ever escalate a customer concern to management... They just shine you on, then move on to the next call. For my last lost package, the phone drone told me she would put a note on my order so that when my undeliverable package is bounced back to the shipper, they will note that the delivery is to be redirected to my PO box. I just got notice yesterday that my lost package is being re-shipped - right back to my home address where they couldn't deliver to last week.

Am I the only one who is lately having trouble getting Amazon to deliver correctly?
Seems Jeff Bezos and the powers that be at Amazon have a very static preset of what your life should look like vis a vis your address. Interestingly, Amazon is worldwide so I wonder how they effectuate those deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products