Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Possibly. They sure can be part of solving crimes and/or making neighbors aware and alert of incidents that are, or have been, happening in their neighborhood. They can ask neighbors if they have seen or heard anything to be possible witnesses or to provide information on crimes that have happened.
So, again, when someone 'reports' that two young black men in hoodies were hanging out by someone's car, or running down the street, how does that help anyone else? As I asked before, is everyone supposed to be on the lookout for two young black men in hoodies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
So, again, when someone 'reports' that two young black men in hoodies were hanging out by someone's car, or running down the street, how does that help anyone else? As I asked before, is everyone supposed to be on the lookout for two young black men in hoodies?
I was only answering the general question you asked. I was not referring to any specific case(s).

Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
It is a problem of the PC effect of the 2000+ years.

It only makes sense that if a crime is observed and the criminals leave in a truck not a car you would publicize that fact. The same crime, if the criminal was white or black, publicizing that fact eliminates the other race completely from being suspect.

The problem is the PC effect which makes it popular to call anyone pointing out an offense by a black as being a racist instead of a witness.

Think about it. Would it be easier to catch the crook if you were told a male in a vehicle heading down Main St. or a white guy in a truck heading down Main St?

Last edited by the searchers; 12-27-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 02:22 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
jencam--

Quote:

You asked essentially the same thing earlier:

Quote:
That is a weird reason for banning, but honestly I do not like the race being mentioned if one isn't making a police report, why is it needed? Is everyone supposed to be on the lookout for say, the two black men you saw doing whatever?

And I answered your question at the top of page 4, sayng:

Quote:
Sometimes a person's ethnicity is a critical aide in identifying that person. It doesn't make anybody necessarily "racist".

Suppose you were a 5-foot tall white guy wearing a green hoody, gray jeans and brown boots, minding your business, and you happened to be (wrong place, wrong time) somewhere that a crime is being committed by a 5-foot tall Mexican guy also wearing a green hoody, gray jeans and brown boots. Would you like to be the one getting hauled off (mistaken identity) just because you both have the same height and outfit, yet charged regardless because one important piece of visually identifying information was omitted because of political correctness?

People are so thin-skinned and throw the R-word around so much these days, as an appeal to emotion, that it's effectively meaningless.

But I guess you must not have seen it earlier.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:33 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Try not to project irrelevantly just to make a point. Hanging out by a car or running down the street are not crimes. We are talking about furnishing accurate descriptions of suspects who have actually committed crimes.
You are obviously attempting to inject racial issues into the discussion- introducing an imagimary scenario where people would be concerned about individuals due solely to the color of their skin and not their criminal actions.
Who are you trying to help with this race baiting?
Nobody proposed or condoned the scenario you describe and its just dumb anyway. What is going to happen, police will come out and arrest and convict them.... just for being black? Show us the penal code for that one.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:22 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Try not to project irrelevantly just to make a point. Hanging out by a car or running down the street are not crimes. We are talking about furnishing accurate descriptions of suspects who have actually committed crimes.
You are obviously attempting to inject racial issues into the discussion- introducing an imagimary scenario where people would be concerned about individuals due solely to the color of their skin and not their criminal actions.
Nobody proposed or condoned the scenario you describe and its just dumb anyway. What is going to happen, police will come out and arrest and convict them.... just for being black? Show us the penal code for that one.
Not sure she is race baiting. She may just be a social warrior who likes to make a splash.

In any event your approach shows her a more practical application.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
jencam--

You asked essentially the same thing earlier:

And I answered your question at the top of page 4, sayng:

But I guess you must not have seen it earlier.
You're comparing committing a crime to my example. I'm talking about the type of comments I see on Nextdoor that bother me and I see no value in. There is no point in me being on the look out for black youths in hoodies. I'm going to find a lot in this cold weather.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Nextdoor is not the same as making a police report. And you can see my other post.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Nextdoor is not the same as making a police report. And you can see my other post.
"Police report" is a distinction that you are adding.
People on nextdoor or any other forum can REPORT ACTUAL CRIMES to neighbors. Not everyone gets the police involved when minor crimes happen.
You seem utterly obsessed with this "be on the lookout for people who are black" imagined scenario. Can you please copy and paste such posts from your neighborhoods nextdoor forum and this can be addressed on a case by case basis.
Otherwise give the bogeymen in your head a rest.
Incidentally you might want to give this a read:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race..._United_States
The violent crime otfense rate for blacks is far greater than whites, for example blacks are commiting homicides at 8x the rate of whites.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I joined it....

Likes: Notices of free/cheap stuff my neighbors want to get rid of that I could use. Get a line on local businesses/handymen. Heads up on local government stuff, any issues in the area. Lost/Found is useful.

Dislikes: Wow, are some of my neighbors drama queens.....one gal reported myself and another woman when we challenged her for calling our neighborhood a 'ghetto'. She also tried to tell the admin that we obviously didn't live in the neighborhood....the other woman she reported is on our HOA board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products