Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was just an observation, but I bet there aren't nearly as many Amazon employees on food stamps as there are Walmart employees, and I can almost guarantee you that there are very few Costco employees on food stamps because they actually pay a living wage (and make a profit while doing so)
I love how Costco pays good wages voluntarily without the government intervening. More companies should voluntarily choose to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
point taken about music/video not being "free"

But you missed the reasons I decided to quit using Amazon
What was that reason? It seemed to be because Amazon is giving some people a discount of $2 a month even though others have been getting a 50% off discount for years.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I decided to quit using Amazon and shop online with Walmart. I use store pick up and pay no shipping fee. You can also return things at your local store.

I am saving money. Its awfully easy for me to think of something I "need" and start shopping on Amazon. For me, Walmart does not have the same siren call. And no minimum purchase to get free shipping.

there you go. "I'm saving money"

Last edited by newcomputer; 06-22-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I doubt that Amazon would become the exclusive SNAP vendor, but having watched people trying buy stuff via SNAP at Walmart, it would be a whole lot easier to order online and let someone else worry about picking out the exact right thing. I saw someone trying to buy baby food and they had the right brand but only certain flavors were included. Or a gallon of milk where you couldn't distinguish one carton from another but apparently one was right and one was wrong. With all that hassle, let someone else worry about picking out the "right" milk for you!
You're think of WIC, which is different and does have a lot of restrictions on what foods qualify. SNAP doesn't care what brand of milk you buy or whether its skim milk, whole milk, or half and half.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Ha!
And now I found one of my exact items on chewy.com - $4 cheaper then Amazon had it. Add some cat food to my order & I'll get free ship too. And way faster then Amazon - even with Prime - and their fake 2-3 day ship (that's 2 or 3 days after a 5 day wait for them to actually find the product to put in the 2-3 day mail - LOL)
Take that Amazon.

https://www.chewy.com/smartcat-ultim...-post/dp/49134
Yeah, Chewy's is better for pet stuff.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:30 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Ha!
And now I found one of my exact items on chewy.com - $4 cheaper then Amazon had it. Add some cat food to my order & I'll get free ship too. And way faster then Amazon - even with Prime - and their fake 2-3 day ship (that's 2 or 3 days after a 5 day wait for them to actually find the product to put in the 2-3 day mail - LOL)
Take that Amazon.

https://www.chewy.com/smartcat-ultim...-post/dp/49134
I've had a Prime membership for years, and the shipping is damn near always 2 days. I've actually had it get there the NEXT day. Not sure why you seem to have such a problem.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 AM

50,778 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
That's not Walmart's fault. That's the fault of an economy that has bled so many middle class jobs out to other countries that people are having to rely on Walmart jobs as a primary source of income. Those jobs were only ever meant to be secondary sources of income, and in that capacity they are more than adequate.
Of which Walmart accelerated that tremendously. They forced Rubbermaid to close their Mass.factory and move it to China in order to keep their products cheap enough for Walmart to carry them. Who caused small businesses to go under because they couldn't compete with Walmart's cheap Chinese goods, then hired those business owners at min wage for part-time hours without benefits.

Why do people think there's no consequences for cheap Chinese goods? You can't have a TV for $75 AND good wages for building a TV at the same time, we CHOSE cheap Chinese goods over good jobs for our citizens.

If a TV factory opened up in Michigan tomorrow, with all American workers, the TVs would cost 5 times more EVEN if you paid the workers minimum wage. Do you honestly believe people in Tennessee would pay more for a TV so someone in Michigan could have a decent job? We HAD that choice, and chose the cheap TV.

I'm not immune, I like cheap goods, too, but I'm not hypocritical enough to blame the government for my own choices.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Amazon has outrageous prices on many things. I refuse to pay through the nose every year just to become a "Prime Member". They changed their shipping methods a few years ago too. I usually read the reviews on Amazon, and then I go shop somewhere else for the product. Even those reviews can't be trusted.

Amazon may be growing, but not in the morality department.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
I love how Costco pays good wages voluntarily without the government intervening. More companies should voluntarily choose to do so.
I agree, just like Winco contributes 20% of every employees salary into a 401k, allowing grocery clerks to retire with a million dollars. https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryjos.../#3f3ef6b75700

Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Then you should also like Amazon, a private company, voluntarily choosing to give certain discounts to various groups of people - that includes students and at one point new mothers although I'm not sure that program is still in place as well as those who qualify for SNAP benefits, because they think that they will generate enough additional sales to offset the cost of the discount. No government intervention involved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products