Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If the $16 wasn't worth the paper work, then I doubt a $2 a month savings would be either.
True!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Taxes are not a recent thing. Considering "taxation without representation" was one of the slogans of the Revolutionary War, taxes have been a part of our country from the very beginning.

Don't be surprised if the IRS comes knocking at your door one day soon if you think taxes are a very recent thing.
LOL! I'm talking about through Amazon. Until rater recently we didn't owe taxes on orders through them depending on what state we are in and I think what state the items came from.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL! I'm talking about through Amazon. Until rater recently we didn't owe taxes on orders through them depending on what state we are in and I think what state the items came from.
No, you still owed taxes from items bought on Amazon, even if they didn't charge tax.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Amazon collecting the tax and remitting to the state may be new but you owing the tax is not. States that charge sales tax for in-state transactions also charge use tax for out-of-state transactions that are delivered within the state. You are supposed to report it on your tax return and pay the use tax. That most people do not report it and that states have generally not found it practical to pursue individuals doesn't change the fact that you owe it.

Here's an example of California law, which is typical of other states.

You may owe use tax on purchases you made from out-of-state or Internet sellers. Use tax is similar to the sales tax paid on purchases you make in California. You may report use tax on your income tax return instead of filing a use tax return with the State Board of Equalization. To report use tax on your income tax return, you may use either the Use Tax Worksheet or the Use Tax Lookup Table. Both are included in the tax booklet instructions.
You must pay California use tax when you purchase out-of-state items by telephone, Internet, mail, or in person and both of the following apply:
  • The seller does not collect California sales or use tax.
  • You use, give away, store, or consume the item in this state.
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml

Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Actually that is WIC which is very strict on what you can buy. EBT is simple. Taxable = no can do. Non-taxable = you can buy.
That must vary by state, all food is taxable here and in a lot of other states
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, someone mentioned that upthread. Whatever it was, it was absolutely crazy. I am a well educated, intelligent person and I could not see any difference between the two milk containers but the register scanner could, so one was obviously right and one was wrong. But to think that average consumers could routinely distinguish these things is kind of nuts.
Once upon a time stores had to identify which products qualified for the snap program, I think they still do. Little labels next to the UPC codes on the shelves. WIC particapnts used to be given a list they could take shopping too, so it takes a little bit effort to get the right item brands and sizes, but not too bad if you take the time time to read and compare to the list.

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Everyone knows Prime adds money to the cost to cover shipping
LOL. Everyone who has been ripped off and learned the hard way.

Again, the issue is transparency. Amazon is for idiots now.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That must vary by state, all food is taxable here and in a lot of other states
Once upon a time stores had to identify which products qualified for the snap program, I think they still do. Little labels next to the UPC codes on the shelves. WIC particapnts used to be given a list they could take shopping too, so it takes a little bit effort to get the right item brands and sizes, but not too bad if you take the time time to read and compare to the list.
Hm. OK, yes Texas does not tax food. SNAP recipients may buy anything non-taxable because it's all 'food'. I put that in quotes because soda and candy is not really 'food' but it is for tax purposes and therefore can be had for SNAP.

In states where food is taxed, I think it somehow = the same as in all food products even soda and candy can be bought. Only Wic has that 'only this milk, and only those types of potatoes' thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Of course Amazon factors in the cost of shipping in their pricing, how could they stay in business if they didn't? When you go to the store and buy a pound of Wisconsin cheese the cost of transporting that cheese from Wisconsin to California is added to the price, didn't you know that?

Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow. That's harsh. And Amazon is shooting itself in the foot by not valuing regular customers. Money is money. Shoving Prime down our throats isn't going to make uninterested customers buy it. It will make them shop elsewhere. And Amazon is finally realizing this, because they have lowered the minimum purchase requirement for non Prime members to get the free shipping twice in the few months, from $49 to $35, then to $25.

Might as well call Costco, Sams Club and BJs and tell them they should stop charging membership fees and just open their doors to the general public. One pays for perks. Perks are not free.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:55 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

It is very transparent. You look up your product, you see it costs $15.95 Prime, but if you buy it from another seller it's $12.00 plus shipping. It couldn't be more transparent. Most of us are able to decide if it's worth it to have the 2-day shipping. What is it exactly you think is hidden from us?

There is no need to insult people. If you don't like it don't use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products