Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I always get my stuff in 2 days, too. If it's not in stock or it's not ready for shipping, the item will say under it "Usually ships in 3-4 days" so you know not to get that if you need it in 2 days. Everyone knows Prime adds money to the cost to cover shipping, we choose the 2-day shipping anyway. Even with it added it, most of the things I buy are still cheaper than stores (especially my Subscribe and Save items).

When Walmart experimented with their 2-day shipping pass thing, I tried it. I didn't get one single thing in less than a week, that is not how it is with Prime.
This is why Walmart bought Jet.com and charges no membership fee. But Walmart is slowly turning Jet into Walmart where they raise the price to some ridiculous number and then do a roll back. Jet was worth it for a few months, but now that they've shown their true colors, back to using my Prime for all purchases again. The membership fee is well worth for the ~80lbs of shipments I get every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Obviously Amazon doesnt value its non-Prime members enough to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why should they..they don't have to. Do you think Walmart values you?
Wow. That's harsh. And Amazon is shooting itself in the foot by not valuing regular customers. Money is money. Shoving Prime down our throats isn't going to make uninterested customers buy it. It will make them shop elsewhere. And Amazon is finally realizing this, because they have lowered the minimum purchase requirement for non Prime members to get the free shipping twice in the few months, from $49 to $35, then to $25.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow. That's harsh. And Amazon is shooting itself in the foot by not valuing regular customers. Money is money. Shoving Prime down our throats isn't going to make uninterested customers buy it. It will make them shop elsewhere. And Amazon is finally realizing this, because they have lowered the minimum purchase requirement for non Prime members to get the free shipping twice in the few months, from $49 to $35, then to $25.
You mean they lowered it back.
Was $25 for a loooooong time.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I just want to say - a bunch of bad words right now - targeted toward Amazon and its stupid prime member only exclusive products.
My shopping cart is full of things I can't buy because I'm not prime.

Virtual shopping taking to an extreme I guess. Forced savings. Thanks Amazon - for not letting me spend my hard earned money on your website.

You could, of course, do the 30 day free trial of Prime and cancel at the end of it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Default Ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You are seriously deluded if you think Amazon values its Prime members enough to care about them either. Their service has gone to hell for everyone. I live in the boondocks, and I've made hundreds of purchases from them because it's a lot easier than driving >150 miles to buy a shower curtain or vacuum cleaner bags. There's been a noticeable decline in both their service and merchandise in the past two years or so. Their shipping times now are rarely 2 days as stated, and when I pay extra for 1-day shipping, I rarely receive the item in less than 3 business days. The overall quality of products has plummeted since they started including all the cheap made-in-China garbage from marketplace vendors. The chance of them publishing a poor review has also plummeted, and it's zero when the review mentions their own lousy service. I've gone back to buying from a variety of online merchants even if it's less convenient than Amazon's one-stop shopping. I hope Mr. Bezos is reading some of this.
Not true, not for everyone. The reason you are not receiving the same service as folks closer to the distribution points is because you are in the sticks. Statistically, you are more likely to be on the late side.

Luckily, they will usually refund you the extra delivery charges you incur as a Prime member. Call them.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the issue is transparency. You pay a membership fee at Costco, and then you shop there. No tricks as far as the prices once you are inside. Great return policy.

With Amazon, the promise is cheap prices and 2 day delivery - if you are a member. But, that's not what you get.

And you'll see the icon that says something is "Prime," so you assume you'll get 2 day delivery. You get busy, you wait and realize it's been awhile - only to go back and read the fine print that said it wouldn't arrive for a month. Hmmm, you wonder why? Turns out, it's actually being sold by a seller in China, and Amazon gave you absolutely no information that this was the case.

Amazon is smoke and mirrors. It got so bad, because you got tricked into paying for a full year to get to be a Prime member, that they decided they'd offer a monthly fee instead. to get people to give them another chance - which actually costs more than the original Prime membership offer was. So, even in "amending" what irritated people - they profited. Which does not fool most people.

Amazon is no longer transparent or the best deal in town.

That's the difference between Amazon and Costco, anyway. Costco's offer is transparent. Amazon is smoke and mirrors.
When I order, I have a delivery date listed before I complete my order. There are times when even something labeled as Prime will be listed as arriving later than I expect. Sometimes, I can go back to the item and order via a different seller - even if they are both fulfilled via Amazon, depending on where the actual item is warehoused, that affects the delivery time.

But if it's going to take a month or two, that information is always available before I place the order.

And yes, they charge more to pay for Prime monthly vs. paying for a year up front. That's an extremely common subscription pricing model, not trickery.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is why Walmart bought Jet.com and charges no membership fee. But Walmart is slowly turning Jet into Walmart where they raise the price to some ridiculous number and then do a roll back. Jet was worth it for a few months, but now that they've shown their true colors, back to using my Prime for all purchases again. The membership fee is well worth for the ~80lbs of shipments I get every week.
My son bought a car stereo from Jet and the return policy was 30 days. It quit working after 3 or 4 months and when he tried get it repaired under warranty from Pioneer he was turned down, the Jet seller was not an authorized Pioneer dealer.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I think the issue is transparency. You pay a membership fee at Costco, and then you shop there. No tricks as far as the prices once you are inside. Great return policy.

With Amazon, the promise is cheap prices and 2 day delivery - if you are a member. But, that's not what you get.

That's the difference between Amazon and Costco, anyway. Costco's offer is transparent. Amazon is smoke and mirrors.
They really aren't that different. Go to the Costco website and you can buy some items without a membership, but others you can't buy at all, or they are less expensive with a membership. I have never felt tricked by Amazon, I'm not sure where all this angst is coming from. I get 2 day delivery every time I order from Costco and if I don't I call them and either get $5 or an extra month on prime.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
If you shop online with Amazon often, Prime can be a good deal. If your shopping cart is full of stuff that is Prime exclusive maybe you ought to look in to signing up.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

And you'll see the icon that says something is "Prime," so you assume you'll get 2 day delivery. You get busy, you wait and realize it's been awhile - only to go back and read the fine print that said it wouldn't arrive for a month. Hmmm, you wonder why? Turns out, it's actually being sold by a seller in China, and Amazon gave you absolutely no information that this was the case.
I average 5 orders a month. I've never placed an order that the checkout page didn't give me an estimated arrival date. Sometimes an item is not in stock. They can't ship what they don't have. And I can't recall ever seeing Prime 2-day offered on an item not sold or fulfilled by Amazon.

Please provide me an example of an item sold and shipped by a third party seller that offers Prime shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products