Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

I truly think there ought to be anti-trust penalties and fines against both ebay and amazon. Both are too powerful and disruptive to the free markets. You can't have an open online market anymore when online buyers flock to Amazon since they can negotiate the best price against any supplier and they have too much tax advantage and ecommerce against any company out there even more powerful than Apple and Google combined. You can't sell your own goods because ebay technically still owns paypal and make online payment easier while banks requires so much hassle just to send somebody money. Because banks protect both seller + buyer. Paypal only protects itself.

Amazon/Ebay also controls most searches on line, if you search something all the links shows up for Amazon and ebay. Sure it's all free market but it's not free when big money makes it almost impossible for any retailer to compete without selling directly on their platforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:04 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
As far as I'm concerned eBay starting dying when Meg Whitman took over.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Lately, I have noticed that a lot of eBay's "Buy it Now" prices were comparable to or even higher than Amazon for the same item. In the past there used to be significant savings with buying on eBay, but now that gap seems to be closing. There also seems to be much fewer auction items on eBay than there were in the past, which is where eBay's real savings were from.

I don't shop on eBay as much as I have in the past since I am an Amazon Prime member, however, does anyone think eBay is dying? I am thinking of selling a refurbished MSI motherboard on eBay after no luck on trying to sell it on Craigslist; hopefully I get lucky this time.
Do you sort the results by "price + shipping lowest first"? Because if you keep it set to "best match" it's not necessarily the lowest price. Often they hide the lowest price sellers, so you have to keep searching for them. Don't just take the first price you see.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
I got tired of the auctions. Bidding and watching and waiting, getting outbid and bidding again and again, just to be outbid at the last minute.

About 3 years ago, I began looking for 'Buy It Now' only. Auctions were lots of fun for a few years, but now I just want what I want.
Snipe bidding, either manually or with software can be a good solution for winning auctions. I find that I can usually get stuff that way for less than the "Buy It Now" price.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Do you sort the results by "price + shipping lowest first"? Because if you keep it set to "best match" it's not necessarily the lowest price. Often they hide the lowest price sellers, so you have to keep searching for them. Don't just take the first price you see.
I do that quite often, but when I do, the items will often ship from China and take forever to arrive. Items that ship from the United States will often be the same price or higher than Amazon.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
I've lost appeal in that website.

Two points of contention:
The sellers are getting hit with higher costs to post items, and they in turn over inflate shipping and this mysterious "handling" charge fee on to the bidder. I recently inquired with a seller before bidding why my 2$ item (which I could buy at a walgreens really) was being sacked with this Handling fee? Of (4$). The response was, well I have to pay for packing material and then drive to the post office...I said, sorry doll face, that item can be sent via UPS for 1.10$ (bubble wrap envelope included)and they even pick up- at your home.!

then there is the second fact: Try fighting a charge back when the seller vanishes and PayPal refuses to resolve. If they can't find the seller then its my fault??

There are a minimally few Honest sellers at ebay and I have often been impressed with how they handle some frustrated incidences...Most have been professional in response and rarely get upended. They have a healthy pride in their transactions and products.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I do that quite often, but when I do, the items will often ship from China and take forever to arrive. Items that ship from the United States will often be the same price or higher than Amazon.
Then in addition to choosing Price + Shipping Lowest First, you should also choose 'US Only' or "North America Only'. With millions of sellers, you have to sort through them to find the cheapest.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I've lost appeal in that website.

Two points of contention:
The sellers are getting hit with higher costs to post items, and they in turn over inflate shipping and this mysterious "handling" charge fee on to the bidder. I recently inquired with a seller before bidding why my 2$ item (which I could buy at a walgreens really) was being sacked with this Handling fee? Of (4$). The response was, well I have to pay for packing material and then drive to the post office...I said, sorry doll face, that item can be sent via UPS for 1.10$ (bubble wrap envelope included)and they even pick up- at your home.!
The best solution to that problem, check the box for 'Free shipping'. That eliminates all the scammers charging $10 or $20 shipping on a $2 item. Sellers who offer free shipping seem to be much more honest.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Lytiks View Post
Personally, I still prefer eBay over Amazon and I don't think it will go away anytime. They can perfectly coexist as they are different in nature. I like the "bazaar" type eBay is, generally speaking you can find better deals. It also easier and cheaper for sellers. The only down side with eBay are some of the Chinese sellers who are not always reliable in terms of shipping time, product quality, customer service and overall "honesty". The multiple bad experiences I've had made me stay away from buying in Asia.
I buy from both US and Chinese sellers. I don't find the Chinese sellers to be any less reliable. Of course shipping from China takes a lot longer. But reliability is about the same. I have a few problems with products not getting shipped on time, but it always gets resolved eventually.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
eBay is a viable alternative now that Amazon charges taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products