Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

I buy almost everything online but one thing I can't stand is online grocery shopping. I don't always get what I need and it's difficult to come up with the week's dinner menu shopping online.

I also prefer seeing what I want and going to the markets to sample flavors and brands before I buy.

So all this talk about Amazon killing grocery store is complete baloney. I love going to ethnic based super markets to sample and discover new flavors and items.

For produce such as veggies, fruits, even cheeses you want to go and pick out the variety you want.

For fish I don't want the biggest, I want a certain size or portion. For shrimp I sometimes want it with head sometimes without.

As for veggies, I often need to see the ripe level of certain veggies.

For meats, you can't really order the perfect cuts I rather go and pick my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Who said anything about Amazon killing grocery shopping? Who is holding a gun to your head, making you shop online?

Much clarification needed.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Have you tried Amazon Fresh?

Old 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Aldi's expansion is going to give Amazon/Whole Foods and all of the other grocers a run for their money.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said anything about Amazon killing grocery shopping? Who is holding a gun to your head, making you shop online?

Much clarification needed.
Apparently Wall street thinks Amazon will kill grocery stores if it could kill malls and retail stores, they believe Amazon will make grocery shopping as easy as going online.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:20 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I prefer to buy fresh stuff myself - produce, meat cuts, bread, etc. Only I KNOW exactly what I want and how it should look like...
I want my produce from Farmers Market and bread from a real bakery. I want to select the meat by the cut thickness, the fat amount, the size - or better, get it done by a butcher. Bulk and dry goods could be ordered online.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Apparently Wall street thinks Amazon will kill grocery stores if it could kill malls and retail stores, they believe Amazon will make grocery shopping as easy as going online.
Wall Street doesn't know everything. I agree with you; a lot of people like the social aspects of going to the store, and also the sensate aspects of viewing the produce, handling/evaluating the produce, perhaps even cherry-picking items of produce, smelling the produce.

Amazon can't kill all retail, either. People need to try on clothes, and see themselves in the mirror in the clothes, in order to buy. Otherwise, they end up spending too much time fussing with returns, and re-ordering. Besides, enough stores have online ordering, that people who like the convenience of that can order directly from the dept. stores online.

Independent bookstores are alive and well, as well. The only ones dying out are the chain bookstores. The locally-owned ones are going strong. Amazon can't offer author readings and the social aspects of the neighborhood bookstore.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:04 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wall Street doesn't know everything. I agree with you; a lot of people like the social aspects of going to the store, and also the sensate aspects of viewing the produce, handling/evaluating the produce, perhaps even cherry-picking items of produce, smelling the produce.

Amazon can't kill all retail, either. People need to try on clothes, and see themselves in the mirror in the clothes, in order to buy. Otherwise, they end up spending too much time fussing with returns, and re-ordering. Besides, enough stores have online ordering, that people who like the convenience of that can order directly from the dept. stores online.

Independent bookstores are alive and well, as well. The only ones dying out are the chain bookstores. The locally-owned ones are going strong. Amazon can't offer author readings and the social aspects of the neighborhood bookstore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/b...l-fashion.html

Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I prefer to buy fresh stuff myself - produce, meat cuts, bread, etc. Only I KNOW exactly what I want and how it should look like...
I want my produce from Farmers Market and bread from a real bakery. I want to select the meat by the cut thickness, the fat amount, the size - or better, get it done by a butcher. Bulk and dry goods could be ordered online.
Yeah I would not leave meat and produce up to anyone to choose for me.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Though I'm a huge fan of online shopping, I only use it for things like books, DVD's/Blu-ray's, music CD's, and some other non-perishable foods.

However - for most grocery shopping, I can't imagine not going to a brick & mortar store. You need to make sure the food is fresh, etc. before you buy this.

That being said, I have bought things like chips, candy, etc. on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products