Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 02:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
How do you know how many negative feedbacks were deleted?
You can guess by looking at the 'Detailed seller ratings'. When there is a discrepancy between all four numbers or when 'Item as described' is much lower than all the others that's a pretty strong sign especially when 'Recent Feedback ratings' shows '0' or a ridiculously low number shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I thought ebay changed its feedback policy, years ago, so that sellers can not leave negative feedback for buyers.
Correct. Their rationale was that sellers were leaving retaliatory negative feedback to buyers after unsatisfied buyers left negative feedback for them. Although I can understand that logic, sellers are an essential part of the ebay platform. In fact, ebay only makes its money via the seller, and this policy has made it impossible for us to weed out bad buyers. The only buyers who are unable to bid are those who have THREE nonpaying bidder strikes and even then, simply changing the account allows nonpaying bidders to continue unchecked.
I also don't understand OP's insistence on buying from a seller near them. Good feedback ratings are a good barometer for any seller no matter what the location is.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Paypal is more on the side of the sellers. I learned this the hard way! They make them more money than buyers do .....
I know 3 dealers who make their living selling on eBay, and they would definitely disagree with you. They have lost $thousands by dishonest buyers and no help from PayPal.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Paypal is more on the side of the sellers. I learned this the hard way! They make them more money than buyers do .....
It depends on the history of the buyers and the history of the sellers. As a buyer I put in a request for refund from a seller that stated no refunds. Waited the amount of days they specified for them to step in. Typed in my final note including a photo. Clicked the icon for them to step in and ten minutes later they responded siding on my side and gave me a return label to send it back. That was 4:00 this morning.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Because the item I want will arrive a lot faster if the seller lives close to my area. Like last night I found out that the seller lives in my area and should receive the DVD by Thursday or Friday.
Not necessarily...I've purchased things from halfway across the country & received it sooner than I did in my own state.

I wouldn't worry too much...it's a DVD. They're almost obsolete. Other than a scratch what could you be picky about? That's the last item I'd even check the sellers score.

People still buy DVDs? Lol

Last edited by LLCNYC; 07-04-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know 3 dealers who make their living selling on eBay, and they would definitely disagree with you. They have lost $thousands by dishonest buyers and no help from PayPal.
I've hit "Item not as described" more in 2017 than in any previous year. Going through the aggravation of doing the return is a pita and then shipping it back is another pita.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I've hit "Item not as described" more in 2017 than in any previous year. Going through the aggravation of doing the return is a pita and then shipping it back is another pita.
How? It's the same as it is through Amazon. As a matter of fact, you actually have MORE buyer protections. You have protection through ebay, protection through Paypal, and protection through your bank/credit card company. A few months ago, I purchased a purse from a nasty seller that was not as described.

It would not zip correctly, and as soon as I received it, I wrote him asking for a refund nicely. He absolutely refused. He was a total d-bag, telling me no refunds, even though he claimed it was in great condition. Ebay sided with me right away and sent me a return label. I received a 100% refund on the entire purchase including shipping.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
How do you know how many negative feedbacks were deleted?
Sellers can delete their own negative feedback?

Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. Their rationale was that sellers were leaving retaliatory negative feedback to buyers after unsatisfied buyers left negative feedback for them. Although I can understand that logic, sellers are an essential part of the ebay platform. In fact, ebay only makes its money via the seller, and this policy has made it impossible for us to weed out bad buyers. The only buyers who are unable to bid are those who have THREE nonpaying bidder strikes and even then, simply changing the account allows nonpaying bidders to continue unchecked.
I also don't understand OP's insistence on buying from a seller near them. Good feedback ratings are a good barometer for any seller no matter what the location is.

Usually when I buy from eBay it's something I really want and since I live on the east coast I look for sellers in that area. If someone lived in California I feel that it would take a little longer for the item to arrive versus someone living in New York or New Jersey.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Not necessarily...I've purchased things from halfway across the country & received it sooner than I did in my own state.

I wouldn't worry too much...it's a DVD. They're almost obsolete. Other than a scratch what could you be picky about? That's the last item I'd even check the sellers score.

People still buy DVDs? Lol
Yes DVD's are still being released in 2017. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products