Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Unless its's a total screw-up, I always give perfect scores when rating in-store or call-center employees. Anything less than 10 is used a club against employees - even if it's a decent 9/10 they still get flak from management.
That expectation of 10s rubs me the wrong way. A hospital I used to work at operated (no pun intended!) that way. To me, 10 is absolute perfection, and if a 9 is considered bad for the employee, then I don't want to participate in your useless survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I'm in to social statistics, and survey design, and am so surprised by how completely ineffective most consumer surveys are. They don't get at the truth, they are designed to have easily encodable results. Asking a couple questions (how was your overall experience? will you shop here again? any other information you can add?) would give you a very complete picture of the customer's experience. But those responses don't fit into a numerical 1-5 rating of the experience, so they aren't used often.

I hate those hotel surveys where you have to rate the lobby on 5 qualities, the receptionist on 4 qualities, the room overall, then the room cleanliness, on and frickin on.

Online feedback is the MOST useful type, and survey designers should look at that format. Overall numerical rating, then explain your opinion.

Because if I'm going to choose a hotel, and someone says the room was dirty and the air conditioning barely functional, I care. If they say the receptionist was cold and didn't seem to even care that they were there, uh, don't care. At all.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default It would be better if....

It would be better if they could guarantee the winning of the $500 in cash or gift certificate for all who completed the form.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always do the survey on the Smash Burger reicept because then I get free fries. If there is a guaranteed incentive, and its a place I go to often, I'm more likely to do the survey. Plus at Smash Burger, I always do the survey while waiting on my food, so I'm also more likely to do them when I have the time.

But places where they claim that filling out the receipt will get me entered into a yearly drawing for a $10 gift card? Not worth my time.
Ditto. I will often do a survey if there's a guaranteed, easy-to-redeem reward at the end - $5 off next purchase, free beverage, etc. Anything involving sweepstakes, "chance to win", or probability - nope.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
HATE it. Makes me feel like the requestor does not think my time is valuable.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Citydata.com members:

How do you feel about being asked to complete a survey when you go shopping at any type of business?
How do you feel about being asked to complete a survey by a supervisor or a manager if you feel that you are a highly satisfied customer and to let the business know this?
I'll never do it again.

I completed a survey by a moving company and the owner called me AND sent me EMAIL to argue about it. LOL

I later realized it was a franchise and the survey actually goes back to corporate.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Citydata.com members:

How do you feel about being asked to complete a survey when you go shopping at any type of business?
How do you feel about being asked to complete a survey by a supervisor or a manager if you feel that you are a highly satisfied customer and to let the business know this?
I despise it when they ask me to do it.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Seems like every time I buy anything these days I'm asked to complete a survey. If I tried to do every one I'd spend a fair chunk of time completing surveys. It's your business, not mine. I just wanted a fool hamburger. I never do them because of the time and, in most cases, now they got contact info on you and I don't need anymore spam emails or robocalls.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Citydata.com members:

I don't mind filling out short online surveys but I don't want to fill a longer survey no matter who is requesting it.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
The surveys do seem to be multiplying. Practically every receipt I get has a survey web addy they want you to visit.

It's unfortunate that some companies rely on customer feedback surveys so much. I had lunch at a fast-food place a few weeks ago and the cashier chatted me up about the survey (as they are instructed to do), and an assistant manager was walking from table to table encouraging people to complete it (using their smart phones, I assume). It had a whiff of "stuffing the ballot box," which sort of defeats the purpose, but the way she talked about it led me to believe her bosses were likely pressuring her to raise the percentage of customers completing the survey.

What bugs me the most about this trend is that I doubt the higher-ups really care if my biscuit was overcooked or if the music was too loud in the store. They're most likely trying to get customers to fill them in on what's going on in their business....which is something they ought to be learning on their own by communicating with their employees and visiting the locations on a regular basis. It's "lazy managing". They can sit in their offices and read stuff on a computer that may (but usually may not) represent what's going on in their day-to-day operations. If the management is relying too heavily on surveys to gauge the temperature in their business, then they're likely also knee-deep in a "us versus them" mentality between management and store-level employees, using negative surveys as weapons against those at store level.

If the folks in charge of a company really want to identify, examine, and solve issues hurting their business, they ought to ask the employees. If you're married and your relationship is on the rocks, do you hand your spouse a survey to complete to give you feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products