Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:44 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Off the top of my head:

A broom that bent in half the first time I used it.
An ironing board that had a honeycomb pattern that would never truly get wrinkles out.
Sheets that began unraveling after two washes.
A "heavy duty" tarp that ripped after its first use.
A pair of boots that separated after 3 months of wear(not even daily).

And why would anyone shop at Wal-Mart at equal prices?
So are those products available elsewhere? If so, do they NOT break when bought somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
No.

I look away and hold my breath when I drive past it.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
I'm pretty sure owners/CEO's of Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon are also filthy rich. Won't stop me from shopping there either.

No store can touch Walmart as far as 5 qt motor oil.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Never.

Will start when they start paying a decent wage.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:21 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Never.

Will start when they start paying a decent wage.
Do you shop on Amazon or any other big box retailer? Why single out Walmart

Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If so, well, why?
Because it saves time and fuel versus driving around to different stores to get different types of items (groceries, home goods, automotive parts, sporting goods, gardening materials, etc.). Also, they're open 24 hours, which is great for those of us who work nights.

Quote:
But I'm posting this because I happened to run across an interesting item, that the Walton family's wealth is the equivalent of 40% of the wealth of America. It's the equivalent of 53,000,000 households. How much more do they need?
Good for them. Everybody should strive to be that successful.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I shop there often. WalMart is the only place I can find some of the items I want, and it's within five miles.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:55 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
If so, well, why? It's only an absolutely last resort for me, if all else fails. I haven't bought anything there for at least a decade.

Yes, I know that if you shop there it's probably because it's inexpensive, or maybe because it's convenient. But I'm posting this because I happened to run across an interesting item, that the Walton family's wealth is the equivalent of 40% of the wealth of America. It's the equivalent of 53,000,000 households. How much more do they need?

Me, I'd rather go to an independent local place whenever possible.

https://popularresistance.org/new-re...local-economy/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#4d7b13da1069
Get most of my auto maintenance supplies at W/M. Underwear, socks, birdseed, cat snacks, etc.

I use many products that have made people multi-millionaires or even billionaires.

What of it?

Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Thank you to all of the people who choose NOT to shop at Walmart. Makes for less wait time at the check-out.

I shop Walmart about once a month for paper products and for coffee. I can buy a 33 ounce package of my brand for $12.98 at Walmart. The same amount would cost me close to $18.00 at my local chain groceteria.

I bought a very comfortable pair of shoes for $10.00, been wearing them for a couple of months. Liked them so much I bought a second pair to have when this pair wears out.

The White Stag brand of shirts and pants are true-to-my-size and I don't have to try them on.

As for the "People of Walmart" photos, I must say I've never seen any of these when I'm shopping. But then, I'm not looking for anyone to make fun of - I'm shopping.

There are three Walmarts within a 20 minute drive from my house. Somebody's shopping there.
How fast do you expect your shoes to wear out?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:18 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We have one store in town that has really super prices on produce BUT their product isn't that great so we get a TON of ad matches on that. Walmart's meats used to have a terrible reputation...something about 'water added' or some such? Anyway, that doesn't happen anymore and our meats are actually pretty good. I admit I don't buy that much meat there because, I think, it's kind of high priced. I DO like Safeway's bargain meat bin and have got some really good deals there but that's about the only thing I buy there. The rest of their stuff gives me 'sticker shock'.

I have about $60 on my Savings Catcher and I'm saving it for a 'biggie'. Nice that you could save enough to buy a bike!

You'd be surprised how many people gather up others receipts. I guess it pays!
Yes it does. I forget how many receipts you can scan per week but sometimes we get more back on the found receipts than ours. It's a nice little perk for how much I hate going there.

The walmart we go to, you have to purchase cosmetics at a register specific to that area. Some items are locked behind glass like razors and some feminine products. I don't have time to wait for someone to come with a key. On the way out anything that is not bagged for example a case of water, they have someone stop you at the door to check your cart and receipt. It's crazy that Walmart does all that when places such as Target, do not.

I do see some crazy outfits in Walmart but I live in a crazy city. We definitely avoid going at the beginning of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products