Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Yes, there are managers in the stores who are very visible (not hiding out somewhere).

However, if you detest Walmart so much am surprised you shop there enough to be able to claim there are no managers in sight.

In my store they aren't hiding...they are busy.

I don't "detest" Walmart. I work there and I love my job. And Walmart has been nothing but good to me for the past seven years. You shouldn't assume so much, but I DO know how visible management is. And if they are around they aren't breathing down our necks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
In my store they aren't hiding...they are busy.

I don't "detest" Walmart. I work there and I love my job. And Walmart has been nothing but good to me for the past seven years. You shouldn't assume so much, but I DO know how visible management is. And if they are around they aren't breathing down our necks.
I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Was at Walmart this morning conducting business at the customer service counter, while waiting in line for 5 minutes I saw three managers in the vicinity.

Maybe some stores have different policies as far as where managers spend the majority of their time.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you think that people getting paid minimum wage with no chance to ever get a significant raise, and zero job security with a company that will fire long time employees at a whim is treating them well, then that is your opinion, not a fact.

Personally I don't shop at Walmart, because the employees I have seen are noticeably less happy than other retail employees. It's not a nice place to shop, and I don't think most people would think it's a good place to work.
If you don't shop there, how do you know how happy the employees look? How do you know it's "not a nice place to shop" if you don't shop there?

And they don't make minimum wage either. Hardly any company I'm aware of starts someone off at $7.25 an hour (minimum wage in my state). Our local store starts out at $9.25 an hour, which is not minimum wage. And our local WM has many employees that have been there 20, 25 and 30 years plus. I happen to know them.

But to each their own. You certainly don't have to shop there. But many of us feel differently than you.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Was at Walmart this morning conducting business at the customer service counter, while waiting in line for 5 minutes I saw three managers in the vicinity.

Maybe some stores have different policies as far as where managers spend the majority of their time.

Since we have an extremely busy store the managers could be anywhere at anytime. They don't have time to dilly dally up front, believe me. We have a most excellent general manager and she is all over the place but not checking up on us. She works alongside of us and we really like her for that. We've had managers who wouldn't even say "Hi" to us but these days it's a different story. We all work together for the common good and our store is high up there in all ways.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
If you don't shop there, how do you know how happy the employees look? How do you know it's "not a nice place to shop" if you don't shop there?

And they don't make minimum wage either. Hardly any company I'm aware of starts someone off at $7.25 an hour (minimum wage in my state). Our local store starts out at $9.25 an hour, which is not minimum wage. And our local WM has many employees that have been there 20, 25 and 30 years plus. I happen to know them.

But to each their own. You certainly don't have to shop there. But many of us feel differently than you.

Same at my store. We have some who've been there since they built the first Walmart in town 30 years ago and came on over when they built the Super Store. Our monthly magazine has pages of employees who've been with the company from 20 to 40 years. Have to be there 20 just to get mentioned in the magazine. If it was such a horrible place to work I doubt ANY of us would still be there.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
I do my level best to avoid shopping at WalMart. Their produce is expensive and of poor quality. I don't trust their meat. Their misuse of their employees pi$$es me off. And every time I turn around they are doing something objectionable to a black shopper.

So I only go in there if I need emergency supplies in the middle of the night (rare) or to buy Progresso French Onion soup (because its the only place I've been able to find it in town).

Over the past couple of decades the stores have become increasingly empty. Lines are still long though because of the 20 or 30 checkout lines they will only open a handful. And the whole "just in time" ordering process is broken - shelves are allowed to empty. Just count on not being able to find everything you need because they wait to the last minute and then some before ordering more in. Last time I looked they had about 8' of cake mixes and icing, and not a single type of sugar free frosting. The stores are still ginormous but the selection keeps shrinking.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:35 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
I visit WalMart for only one reason, to buy the huge bottles of Pine Sol which are dirt cheap, but I have bought from WalMart online for other products.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I do my level best to avoid shopping at WalMart. Their produce is expensive and of poor quality. I don't trust their meat. Their misuse of their employees pi$$es me off.
Quote:
And every time I turn around they are doing something objectionable to a black shopper.
Your Walmart is far more interesting than mine. What do they do? Please give us all the details. If you have filmed the action, please post it.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Your Walmart is far more interesting than mine. What do they do? Please give us all the details. If you have filmed the action, please post it.
Excellent! Of course we know that 'We won't hold our breath".

Won't let me rep you again.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
I go to Walmart once a week. I occasionally go to Weis or Shop Rite. ( the local grocery stores, for those who aren't from here) I almost always walk out of Walmart with more stuff for less money. My shoestring budget goes farther there. I have my issues with Walmart, but like I said, it comes down to money .Besides, I am treated nicely by the employees. Many are long time workers there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products