Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

No, I avoid at all cost, and it is not because of the company, but because of the customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They can be rich as they wanna be. However, if I were that wealthy, I'd give all of my employees a living wage, and full time employment with health benefits.

Would that change the life of the Walton family? If so, how?

Instead, Walmart encourages it's employees to apply for public assistance. They hire few full time workers so few people can even use their health insurance. Which they must purchase out of heir meager paychecks.

If they did these things, they would not have such bad press.

Honestly, if they paid people fairly, more people would shop there. Their employees would have more money to spend, and given the discount, they would spend it at Walmart.

It seems like good business to me. Look at all the great press places like Costco get!

Free advertising. Good public relations.
Lol, that is probably why you are not running it.

Walmart is the world's largest retailer, they are running their business just fine. Any time there are jobs opens, hundreds of not thousands of people apply. Walmart has no issues ever finding employees to hire. If conditions and pay were so bad, hardly anyone would be applying to work there.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
There seems to be a stigma attached to shopping at Walmart. Some will avoid Walmart for that reason alone. So yes, sometimes I shop at Walmart and sometimes I like it .

Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
There seems to be a stigma attached to shopping at Walmart. Some will avoid Walmart for that reason alone. So yes, sometimes I shop at Walmart and sometimes I like it .
Me, I don't give a rat's arse about any stigma. The place is inexpensive to shop at. I just make sure to use GermX liberally when I get back to my car.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I, like a few others here, don't give a rats ass how much money the Waltons make. The fact of the matter is, shopping at Walmart saves me money (on some items). Shop for chicken breasts at Walmart, and then buy chicken breasts at your local store. I bet your local store is twice as expensive.

The fact of the matter is, Walmart allows poorer people to eat better than they would've if Walmart was non existent.

That said, I have my issues with Walmart. [b]Their carts are way too big, [b]and the stores are laid out stupid. Walmart is not a fun or pleasant experience. But that's where I get my fish and chicken.
There are some Walmarts that have smaller carts. There's about 4 within a 30-40 min drive of which 2 have the smaller cart option. Wish all of them did. Some Walmarts you can't even find the hand baskets.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Wal-Mart sells two types of products:

Cheap, imported, generic goods that range from half-functioning and will soon break, to products that are downright unusable.

Normal products sold elsewhere, often at equal or lower prices(Costco consistently kills Wal-Mart if you don't mind buying in bulk). No way I'm supporting or putting up with Wal-Mart when I can buy it elsewhere.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, that is probably why you are not running it.

Walmart is the world's largest retailer, they are running their business just fine. Any time there are jobs opens, hundreds of not thousands of people apply. Walmart has no issues ever finding employees to hire. If conditions and pay were so bad, hardly anyone would be applying to work there.
What are you talking about?

That is completely inaccurate.

I used to work at Wal-Mart as a teenager. Management had a constant problem with employee turnover and not getting enough applications. They would literally hire anyone who put in an application.

Most people who apply there can't find work elsewhere.

The last person they hired before I left had just been released from prison for an attempted murder charge.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Wal-Mart sells two types of products:

Cheap, imported, generic goods that range from half-functioning and will soon break, to products that are downright unusable.

Normal products sold elsewhere, often at equal or lower prices(Costco consistently kills Wal-Mart if you don't mind buying in bulk). No way I'm supporting or putting up with Wal-Mart when I can buy it elsewhere.
Walmart sells name brands at or cheaper than the same items at competitors. What goods specifically did you find "half-functioning and will soon break, to products that are downright unusable."

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walmart sells name brands at or cheaper than the same items at competitors. What goods specifically did you find "half-functioning and will soon break, to products that are downright unusable."
Off the top of my head:

A broom that bent in half the first time I used it.
An ironing board that had a honeycomb pattern that would never truly get wrinkles out.
Sheets that began unraveling after two washes.
A "heavy duty" tarp that ripped after its first use.
A pair of boots that separated after 3 months of wear(not even daily).

And why would anyone shop at Wal-Mart at equal prices?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
What are you talking about?

That is completely inaccurate.

I used to work at Wal-Mart as a teenager. Management had a constant problem with employee turnover and not getting enough applications. They would literally hire anyone who put in an application.

Most people who apply there can't find work elsewhere.

The last person they hired before I left had just been released from prison for an attempted murder charge.
First thing on the web search;

D.C. Walmart stores get 11,000 applicants for 1,800 jobs | WJLA

Just one example above, but Walmarts everywhere get a constant flow of applications, none of them are having problems with getting enough applications.

Who and what type of person is not a factor, the fact is they apply and are qualified for what amounts to a low skilled job.

Are you saying people released form prison should not work? What do you expect them to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products