Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was trying to reopen a Paypal account for a club I belong to. I had to send them lots of personal information (mine, not the club's). The last straw was when they wanted me to send them a scan of my Social Security Card.

I didn't have to send that when I opened my own PP account, and I'm not doing it now.

So the club can't take paypal for dues.
That's crazy. PayPal is really out of control. I have a feeling that if I actually talked to a real English speaking person at PayPal, they would start asking me to send them personal information like that.

I think they are more interested in stealing personal information from their users than providing any real security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
My phone calls with PayPal have been with pleasant no-accent English speaking Americans.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That's crazy. PayPal is really out of control. I have a feeling that if I actually talked to a real English speaking person at PayPal, they would start asking me to send them personal information like that.

I think they are more interested in stealing personal information from their users than providing any real security.
Do you see the IRONY that you're accusing them of not having any security whereas they FROZE YOUR ACCOUNT FOR SECURITY REASONS?

You HAVE TO use the exact address that match your bank account! Just for starters. So I see you actually DO KNOW why your account was frozen.

You're a buyer not a seller, correct?

More often you see complaints about frozen accounts by seller members who have their PAYPAL BALANCES frozen.

Yes there's an easy solution: Call PayPal. Meanwhile you'll have to find sellers who take debit cards. "Guest checkout".

OK FIRST:

YES of course you have to have a bank account if you want to be a verified PayPal account - the entire company is based on that premise. PayPal is like a quasi-bank, you need a source of funds, before you can buy anything. Not built around a gift card. I don't think you understand how banking works. They want to be able to debit your bank account if you overdraw during purchases. And the reason for that is, overdrafting your account is a LEGAL matter so they have recourse for collection. The PayPal SELLERS are in good faith relying on PayPal that they will get PAID.

Just like at the gas pump if you go over your limit, the bank is gonna let you buy gas then debit you an overdraft fee.

They're not out of control. Nothing like that has EVER happened to me including getting foreign call centers. Since PayPal first started on eBay. And I'm VERY demanding and picky about customer service.

You're giving NO information.

"A bunch of hoops". Which hoops?

"Changed the address" YEAH that'll do it.

"does not seem to have worked either" So how long has it been? I doubt it's going to FIX ITSELF.

And refusing to even CALL but claiming the whole company is a bunch of phishers?

HUH?

Here are some common triggers:
  • You’ve received an abnormally large amount of money in your account that is way above your average
  • Someone has filed a complaint to Paypal about your business
  • A series of chargebacks have been placed against your account
  • Your website has questionable content
  • You are in violation of Paypal’s use policy. For example if you sell drugs or anything illegal, you may get banned
  • Your account information is not up to date or your account is not fully verified
  • Someone has logged into your Paypal account from a strange location.
  • Your credit score is low or something with your background history makes you a higher risk customer
  • They have detected fraudulent activity on your account.

Why Paypal Freezes Or Limits Accounts And How To Prevent This From Happening To You

Just go to your existing bank and open up another personal account with another debit card just for PayPal.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was trying to reopen a Paypal account for a club I belong to. I had to send them lots of personal information (mine, not the club's). The last straw was when they wanted me to send them a scan of my Social Security Card.

I didn't have to send that when I opened my own PP account, and I'm not doing it now.

So the club can't take paypal for dues.
This isn't a unique situation. Did you research it at all?

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...ow/td-p/135312

https://www.google.com/search?q=usin...hrome&ie=UTF-8

WHY was it closed?

Was it someone's personal account or a business account? If you were trying to put it in YOUR name, WHY?

WHAT type of club? A 501C3? Or a business? These are tax accounting questions. People can't just willy nilly expect PayPal to give you member privileges without following the LAWS they are held to.

All you have to do is use your business EIN number. IF A BUSINESS DOESN'T HAVE AN EIN, THEN YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

THIS IS IRS LAW. NOT PAYPAL CRAY.

WHY didn't you just open a new PayPal account?

If you are representing to PayPal that this "club" is a legal entity with a bank account etc, then why were your personal finances even involved? Why would you put it in your personal name? YOU COULD HAVE TAX LIABILITY FOR THAT LOL!

Are you the "owner" of the "club" with a DBA on your "club" bank account?

Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think you were hacked - NEVER click on an email you receive from "Paypal" - that is a notorious one for being scammed.
I agree!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Phone PayPal. I've found their call center friendly and helpful.

PayPal Customer Service
1-888-221-1161
1-402-935-2050 (if calling from outside the U.S.)
One-time passcode
xxxxx This unique number identifies you when you call so we can provide you with better service. Please save this number. Your passcode will expire in 60 minutes

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/contact/call
Good idea!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Paypal has a phone number and would be glad to try to help.
Yep.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
A good rule of thumb is to never open any e-mails from Paypal, or any other institution claiming account security issues. If in suspect, login to the account the regular way and see if there are any alerts. I also recommend the multi identification login option they have which not only requires a password, but a one time number that is texted or sent via a phone call.

There is always some degree of risk when using any type of electronic payment. The only choice you have is to mitigate the risk as much as possible or do not use them at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
I was a low volume paypal user for years. But I finally got sick of their crap and killed my account.

Over the years, they wanted this information, or that bank account information. Then they wanted my credit card and social security number (on the website).

Finally, they announced they wouldn't expand their operations to Charlotte NC due to the ridiculous political football called HB-1.

Personal data harvesting and then political activism are not why I did business with them. So, to hell with them. I will not ever use Paypal again.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
The main complaint I see in this thread is about PayPal wanting to verify identity to prevent fraud. You can't open a bank account without proof of identity, and can't open a bank account online a without an SSN. Of course if there is an issue with your account (and you changed your address & email without telling them), they need to verify that you are you and not some fraud trying to take over your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products