Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,465,523 times

Advertisements

We shopped for refrigerators last September. We shopped a Lowe’s for the 5% plus they were adding another 10% off that week. We didn’t want an ice maker as we have well water which can be contaminated at times. Only 2 didn’t have the ice makers in the front. They also take up much storage plus it’s another item that can malfunction.

We chose a Whirlpool with bottom freezer and I believe 22 cu ft. It has an ice maker in freezer but you can disable it. We also chose this one because it is an Energy Star model for which we received $75 rebate. It is supposed to only use $70 in power annually. The same power company gave us $50 for our old one (18 cu ft) which still worked but was getting old and ran all the time. We needed more room for 3 adults.

My favorite part is to find items at eye level due to bottom freezer. We have a separate freezer so don’t need much in freezer space so it is a convenience but not a necessity.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,776,133 times
We have an 11-year-old GE Profile side-by-side and an Avanti compact fridge (bought at a scratch-and-dent appliance shop, probably a couple of years old).

We've been very happy with both of them. They're quiet and efficient. I imagine that a new fridge would be a bit more efficient than the GE, but certainly not by enough to warrant replacing it.

Our rent house had an LG fridge that was always problematic. Door gasket leaked air unless slammed hard, icemaker and water dispenser never worked, etc. Hurricane Harvey killed it, good riddance.

I've had terrible luck with mini fridges - have had 2 or 3 die after just a few years of light, careful use. I think they're basically built to last for one 4-year college education. I do have a nearly 30-year-old mini-fridge in our upstairs game room that still works perfectly - go figure. We almost always leave it unplugged though, as it's likely an energy hog.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,325,275 times
Avoid getting too many features. The more features you have, the more things for it to break down.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,735,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
We have an 11-year-old GE Profile side-by-side and an Avanti compact fridge (bought at a scratch-and-dent appliance shop, probably a couple of years old).

We've been very happy with both of them. They're quiet and efficient. I imagine that a new fridge would be a bit more efficient than the GE, but certainly not by enough to warrant replacing it.

Our rent house had an LG fridge that was always problematic. Door gasket leaked air unless slammed hard, icemaker and water dispenser never worked, etc. Hurricane Harvey killed it, good riddance.

I've had terrible luck with mini fridges - have had 2 or 3 die after just a few years of light, careful use. I think they're basically built to last for one 4-year college education. I do have a nearly 30-year-old mini-fridge in our upstairs game room that still works perfectly - go figure. We almost always leave it unplugged though, as it's likely an energy hog.
I bought a mini fridge about three weeks ago. It was on sale at Walmart for $55. So far so good. It cools faster than my main fridge and even has a light inside. Energy use is on the high side though rated at $43 a year.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:04 PM

50,179 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Samsung French door WITHOUT ice maker on the door (often problematic). Works just fine. Ten years old now...
Interestingly, we just ordered exactly that. We had to refuse delivery yesterday because of a dent, but hopefully when we get it will last ok. I’ve never had trouble with an ice and water dispenser through the door, but I can’t stand that it’s nearly impossible to clean the crud off the bottom of the dispenser.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:35 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,776,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I bought a mini fridge about three weeks ago. It was on sale at Walmart for $55. So far so good. It cools faster than my main fridge and even has a light inside. Energy use is on the high side though rated at $43 a year.
My 7.4 cubic ft Avanti fridge was the smallest Energy Star-rated fridge that I could find at the time. Rated for $27 / 251 kWH use per year.

I did have a weird experience with the fridge recently. We keep it in our laundry room. After returning home following Thanksgiving travels, our laundry room smelled terrible! We ruled out the washer, dryer, trash can, vacuum cleaner, food inside the fridge, everything. Was ready to tear open the walls to see if a rodent had died inside. Then I checked the Avanti fridge evaporator pan. It was filled with filthy, stinky water! After emptying and washing it, all was well.

I've never had this issue with any of our old fridges. Not sure if it's related to the Avanti not having an evaporator fan, and instead relying on the heat generated by the compressor to evaporate condensation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products