Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I've been taking uber and Lyft here and there for past five years when my car is in the shop or whatever-- never really had a problem. The other night I took uber-- usually drivers are at least somewhat friendly but this guy seemed like an a**, didn't even turn around to greet me in a basic way when I got in the car. I felt uncomfortable and kind of considered asking him to pull over after a few minutes but it was a ten minutes ride so I just figured to just get home and that he happens to be a rude person. I had no food or drinks with me, just my backpack and got out when he dropped me off and said ok, thanks and he kind of mumbled "mhmm" and I left.

Shortly after got receipt on the app for the 7 dollar ride. Then about 24 hours later uber sense me an email they have adjusted my fee for a "cleaning fee" added 20 bucks on simply saying the driver reports a cleaning fee was needed. No explanation of what for, no inquiry to me asking me about it just went ahead and charged my card. I immediately sent email to support demanding to know what supposed type of mess was it because all I had was my backpack on my lap and no food or drinks. They sent a photo that that driver took supposedlynafter my ride-- it could have been taken anytime. Or he could have put that there and taken a picture, but it didn't come from me. Looked like a small amount of animal hair and a wet spot. Okay- what does him sending a photo prove? He could've easily poured a little water on the floor mat and who knows, taken some animal fur off a brush and put it there and frankly when I got in the car I didn't do an inspection for all I know it was already there-- it was dark and I normally don't make a point of evaluating the car I'm in- some cars are cleaner than others and I never care or notice much either way.

I looked into it a bit more apparently the uber driver receives from uber the money for any supposed cleaning fee they report. Uber refuses to refund my money, based on a pic the driver took on his own 24 hours after I left
Contact your credit card company.

I'll be sure to snap a photo every time I use Uber now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I'm wondering how the BBB hasn't taken care of his- it's a totally unethical business scam
The BBB won't and can't do anything. The BBB has about as much power and authority as the leaves sitting in the parking lot where i work.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:02 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Better yet: Give up Uber entirely.

I have never seen any company with a comparable trail of brushes with the law, with bad actions both from the drivers and the company. I believe there's a move to ban Uber in London, which I think is a step in the right direction.
Uber was banned in London about a month ago. Uber is a joke and the people who use them deserve what they get.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
I used to take Uber but my last trip with them was an unfriendly driver in a city I was visiting for work. It was night and I was heading back to the hotel. He sped past the hotel exit on the interstate and kept going for about ten miles. Then he quickly slows down and does a U-turn at one of those cutovers for emergency vehicles and goes back towards my hotel and this time drives slower and gets off the right exit for the hotel. He was definitely being a tool to pad his fare. He was not lost as he GPS kept trying to reroute him. I disputed that ride and since then I have taken Lyft. Good experiences with them.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
How exactly is ride sharing creepy?

Lyft/Uber/Via are MUCH better than being overcharged by regular cabs. Even if it may not be perfect, I would never use a regular cab unless I had to. Much better value for your buck by far.
Here's how it's creepy. The ride sharing drivers don't have to clock into an office environment, where any supervisors can see if they are clean, shaven, drunk, in a horrible angry mood, or whatever. They also haven't inspected all of the vehicles about to go pick people up in.

There is no supervision or oversight. That's creepy at best, and scary at it's worst.

And yet this company has access to your credit card with the ability to charge it at will - the entire business model is just nuts, in my opinion.

You get what you pay for. I'd rather pay for a cab, where I know the driver and cab have been inspected by the boss, and where they don't have access to my credit card with the ability to charge it at will.

I feel the same way about Air BNB. God, when you look at some of the photos of the creepy rooms people list for rent....just yikes. I just picture cat hair everywhere and hidden cameras. Staying in some stranger's home? No way, thanks.

I don't get this trend. I expect it will die, because of stories like this.

Plus, when you look at the contracts for the Uber drivers, the company totally rips them off. So, no wonder the drivers who agree to these contracts are the type to devise ways to rip off customers in order to make a decent wage.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
The Uber cleaning scam was featured on one of our TV news broadcasts the other night. It's a scam all over the US at the present. State atty general is supposed to be looking into it.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Here's how it's creepy. The ride sharing drivers don't have to clock into an office environment, where any supervisors can see if they are clean, shaven, drunk, in a horrible angry mood, or whatever. They also haven't inspected all of the vehicles about to go pick people up in.

There is no supervision or oversight. That's creepy at best, and scary at it's worst.

And yet this company has access to your credit card with the ability to charge it at will - the entire business model is just nuts, in my opinion.

You get what you pay for. I'd rather pay for a cab, where I know the driver and cab have been inspected by the boss, and where they don't have access to my credit card with the ability to charge it at will.

I feel the same way about Air BNB. God, when you look at some of the photos of the creepy rooms people list for rent....just yikes. I just picture cat hair everywhere and hidden cameras. Staying in some stranger's home? No way, thanks.

I don't get this trend. I expect it will die, because of stories like this.

Plus, when you look at the contracts for the Uber drivers, the company totally rips them off. So, no wonder the drivers who agree to these contracts are the type to devise ways to rip off customers in order to make a decent wage.
You do know that the passengers rate the drivers at the end of dropoffs, right? Same thing with drivers rating the passengers. If a driver/passenger has A TON of bad ratings, we know about it.

To each their own, I guess. As long as Lyft/Uber/Via/etc are in business, I'm going to continue using them as opposed to rip off regular taxi cabs.

Although, what I will say is that Uber has gotten a lot of backlash for their supposed shady business practices, unlike other ride share companies like Lyft and Via. Even if Uber does eventually die out, ride sharing won't completely die off.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,982 times
The idea of a cheaper initial fee is tempting comparing uber to a yellow cab however now that I'm aware they can charge my card at will for any unsubstantiated claim by the driver who profits from it I would feel safer with a regular Cab- the initial fee is a bit higher however you don't ever have to worry about a surprise charge on your card after. The 7 dollar ride didn't matter because the driver charged my card an additional chunk of money the next day. I can't afford to take the chance a 7 dollar ride will become a much higher one after.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
You do know that the passengers rate the drivers at the end of dropoffs, right? Same thing with drivers rating the passengers. If a driver/passenger has A TON of bad ratings, we know about it.

To each their own, I guess. As long as Lyft/Uber/Via/etc are in business, I'm going to continue using them as opposed to rip off regular taxi cabs.

Although, what I will say is that Uber has gotten a lot of backlash for their supposed shady business practices, unlike other ride share companies like Lyft and Via. Even if Uber does eventually die out, ride sharing won't completely die off.
Well, You Do Know (obnoxious start to any sentence, by the way) ....that reviews are rarely real or dependable, right? Because, let's just use our own brains for a minute....how can a scam be prevalent, in a system where there are reviews.....if the reviews are reliable?

But, I disagree that ride sharing won't completely die off. Uber was a huge "limb" on this body of ride share business. If Uber dies, because of the kinds of problems that are rife in this business model, why wouldn't the others die?

Do you really think their reviews will be more reliable? Why would you logically think so? It's the same business model.

No, wait, I really want my ride to be cheaper, so I will convince myself that even though Uber drivers were awful, drivers for a different company, under the same business model will be different.

Really? Pretend your daughter was using this same logic when describing her next loser musician boyfriend, that's she's supporting again, to you, and that it will be different this time because he's into jazz instead of hip hop.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
There's not much profit for the drivers even before uber get's their cut.. it's probably like the equivalent of $8/hour or less which is why I'd never be a driver.

As for Uber, this kind of stuff will quickly drive away all their customers. Charge a higher base fee and let the drivers earn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products