Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:28 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,490,709 times

Advertisements

I could give 2 rolls of quarters. That is $20, wrapped. Unwrap for parking meters, laundry, etc. or take to a bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Whether you are a teacher, a "service person" or a relative, if someone wanted to spend $20 on a gift for you, would you prefer cash or a personalized gift card (meaning a card from someplace you actually already patronize)? Or would you rather have a material gift, even if it might not be exactly to your liking?

If you care to respond, please say whether you are male or female and your age. (I am a 64-year-old female, and I would prefer a Barnes and Noble gift card.)

Also, this is not to start any kind of argument, but just to get an idea of what MOST people would prefer.
It depends. I'm a middle aged man that's lived in CA for about 10 years, but deep down still has midwestern values.

Midwestern me would want a gift, even if I don't like it. You saw something, you thought of me, you bought it for me. Even if I return it the next day, you gave me a gift. I did something for you, you put some thought in giving me something back. Cash is tacky, and gift cards are thoughtless. It's the thought that counts. Don't value my work/help at some trivial rate. If I don't need stuff, I'll take a homemade baked good.

Californian me would want a gift card. Oh, you saw this cool bohemian shop that has x, y and z. Or there's an AMAZING place for this. Sweet, you're giving me an experience. You thought of something I'd enjoy and are giving me an excuse to go check it out...possibly with an open invitation to join if I wanted a guide, but with no strings attached if I didn't. Besides, if I don't like it, it's totally giftable to someone else. Cash wouldn't work because I shop for THINGS online and don't want any more stuff.

My wife is OTB Asian. There is no other gift besides cash. You give cash in a little red envelope as a thank you. Anything else is just....weird. Nobody wants your crap or your gift cards. The bills should be pretty as well, not some wadded up stuff. No message is needed beyond I value our relationship.

Some friends are from India, and all their gifts are checks, but the checks don't end with 00. I don't give $200, I give $201. If it's a special gift, then it's gold.

Etc etc.

It all just depends.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,477,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Whether you are a teacher, a "service person" or a relative, if someone wanted to spend $20 on a gift for you, would you prefer cash or a personalized gift card (meaning a card from someplace you actually already patronize)? Or would you rather have a material gift, even if it might not be exactly to your liking?

If you care to respond, please say whether you are male or female and your age. (I am a 64-year-old female, and I would prefer a Barnes and Noble gift card.)

Also, this is not to start any kind of argument, but just to get an idea of what MOST people would prefer.
Female
Mid 40s
I would prefer a gift card that I could use anywhere.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,947,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Female
Mid 40s
I would prefer a gift card that I could use anywhere.
So that would be cash, right?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,465,123 times
Anyone who knows me, knows two things -- I'm a ferocious reader and that I don't like to drive far from home. The only gift card I would appreciate would be from a book shoppe five minutes from me. Books are expensive and I love to browse the shelves.

I once did a super-huge art project for a family member. If she had paid an artist to do that project she would have paid dearly, at least $600 - $700. I did it for free because she's family, and because I'm a sweetheart.

I would have preferred a verbal thank you to the $20 gift card she handed me. It was to a specialty store 25 miles away from me that carries a product line (scented candles and melting wax) that gags me. That gift card was convenient for her, and an insult to me.

So, if you don't know something about somebody, give them the cash.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:48 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,342,864 times
I would rather have the cash as then I can spend it wherever I want in increments that I choose.
I received a $200 gift card to Lowes but I can't find anything I want there so the card remains unused until I feel like I have to go buy something I really don't want or need.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 PM

1,517 posts, read 988,779 times
$20 cash, absolutely, because cash doesn't have the possibility of vendor lock-in (VERY BAD):

Quote:
-it requires me to buy there, instead of allowing me to support a smaller indie book store

Cash also doesn't expire after a year. I stopped accepting store gift cards about 10 years ago exactly for those reasons. Cash or don't bother. Gift cards are a scam.

Last edited by Ttark; 11-16-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM

8,032 posts, read 10,622,840 times
I much prefer a gift card that has some thought behind it. A dining card to someplace the giver knows I really enjoy, or a new store they thought I might like. Many of our local small businesses have gift cards/certificates now and that is nice.

Cash to me is just thoughtful and kind of lazy. If we are all just going to exchange "cash", why bother?

I worked at a bank for years and every year the week before Christmas all these older people would come in and get cash and our free "money envelopes" (they can't even spring for nice Christmas cards at the Dollar store to put the money in, really?) Over and over I heard "This way, they can just get what they want!". NO, you're just too lazy to put any thought or effort into it.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM

8,032 posts, read 10,622,840 times
edit: *thoughtless and kind of lazy.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,720,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
edit: *thoughtless and kind of lazy.
I'll take that thoughtless lazy gift. rolls of quarters sound great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products