Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times

Advertisements

OK, I just had something happen to me in a grocery store line yesterday that I had no idea how to handle.

Older man in front of me in line, they're ringing him up. All of a sudden his wife comes scurrying up, having been doing some browsing while he was in line. He says, "Honey, didn't you say you have some coupons?" "Yeah, I sure do ..." which begins the rummaging at the bottom of the purse for coupons, then slowly going through them, dropping half of them on the floor, then having to have discussions with the cashier about whether one would count for a double coupon ... I kid you not, five minutes.

She then turns to me and with a big smile, says, "Sorry to have held you up!" (I didn't get the feeling that she was really that sorry, but maybe she was ...)

What could I have said? I didn't want to say, "Oh, that's okay" which clearly she was seeking, as she kept looking at me expectantly. I just looked at her and finally smiled so she'd stop staring at me, but I really wanted to say something that wasn't rude but that let her know that no, it's really NOT okay. I will cut them some slack for being somewhat elderly, but still ...

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
OK, I just had something happen to me in a grocery store line yesterday that I had no idea how to handle.

Older man in front of me in line, they're ringing him up. All of a sudden his wife comes scurrying up, having been doing some browsing while he was in line. He says, "Honey, didn't you say you have some coupons?" "Yeah, I sure do ..." which begins the rummaging at the bottom of the purse for coupons, then slowly going through them, dropping half of them on the floor, then having to have discussions with the cashier about whether one would count for a double coupon ... I kid you not, five minutes.

She then turns to me and with a big smile, says, "Sorry to have held you up!" (I didn't get the feeling that she was really that sorry, but maybe she was ...)

What could I have said? I didn't want to say, "Oh, that's okay" which clearly she was seeking, as she kept looking at me expectantly. I just looked at her and finally smiled so she'd stop staring at me, but I really wanted to say something that wasn't rude but that let her know that no, it's really NOT okay. I will cut them some slack for being somewhat elderly, but still ...

Any suggestions?
I wonder what she would have said if you told her "what do you want me to say to you?"

Put the ball in her court.

This is something other customers at the store I work at complain about.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm about 30 miles west of Charlotte, in NC. I'm a Yankee, so sorry, no clue about Community Cash.

1300 of the existing 1600 Aldis are slated for the remodel by 2020. Does your Aldi have the old homemade-looking shelves or metal shelves?

Used to have family around Ellenboro, but it's been years. I grew up about 40 miles southwest of you. Our Aldi has the metal shelves. They have plenty of room to expand if they want to. The store makes up only about 1/3 of the building. Lot smaller inside than the building is outside.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Used to have family around Ellenboro, but it's been years. I grew up about 40 miles southwest of you. Our Aldi has the metal shelves. They have plenty of room to expand if they want to. The store makes up only about 1/3 of the building. Lot smaller inside than the building is outside.
You will probably get some degree of remodel, when they get to your area. Aldi had everything planned out in an orderly manner. Lidl is trying to deviate from their plans, which means Aldi will deviate from theirs. Aldi should have started the remodels sooner.

Spartanburg & Greenville both have two Lidls, Shelby & Gastonia each have one, if you travel to the areas. Shop at Aldi & Lidl as a matched set, when you have the chance. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

So far everyone who I've talked to who's been to Lidl loves the bakery.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I wonder what she would have said if you told her "what do you want me to say to you?"

Put the ball in her court.

This is something other customers at the store I work at complain about.
Great suggestion, thank you!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Reminds me of the last time I went to Target. It was years ago but I still remember it because it was one of the worst experiences I had waiting on line.

I had just a few items. There were 3 lines and they each had two people on them. I bypassed the line closest to me to jump on the middle one. It was an old couple ahead of me. One was in a scoter. I immediately took a step backwards to get on another line, but I stopped myself. "Just because they are old, it doesn't mean they will be slow or cause problems" I said to myself. So I waited on that line. And I waited. I waited while they wanted to pay for stuff separately. I waited why they fooled around with their coupons, checks, cash and just general confusion. I waited while the other 2 lines moved along. I waited even when someone got behind me, saw what was going on, jumped on another line and got out ahead of me. Why didn't I move? The other lines were filling up and I though the couple would finally wrap it up.

As for the subject, I would love more self checkouts. The store I go to now is not bad but I have been to others were there is always a line. Costco recently put in a bunch of self checkouts and its great.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I don't really get what there was to handle. You wait in line until it is your turn to check out. There is no magical time limit on how long others can take to check out. Some people are slower, some are faster. They got to the register before you, so you either wait patiently until they are done with their transaction, or move to another line.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't really get what there was to handle. You wait in line until it is your turn to check out. There is no magical time limit on how long others can take to check out. Some people are slower, some are faster. They got to the register before you, so you either wait patiently until they are done with their transaction, or move to another line.
Tell this one to the customers at the grocery store I work at who complain about 1) the long lines, 2) the long wait, 3) slow cashiers, and 4) the customer in front of them who is using too many coupons.

The grocery store I work at has a time limit, which our customers do not know about. The amount of time it takes to check out our customers per register is tracked by Senior management. Senior management wants a score of 95% for every location.

The cashiers and baggers are supposed to get the customers checked out as efficiently and quickly as possible.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't really get what there was to handle.
I think it was this>
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I have had people do that to me when they KNOW they are being a PITA. They don't care and think they are entitled to act like their actions have no affect on anyone else as long as they give an insincere apology with an absolute expectation that no one dare say anything about it. It's a form of manipulation/intimidation. I used to be married into a family that played that game, ugh.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
At least she acknowledged that they were inconveniencing you and apologizing for it. Many other people would not bother to do this.

I don't believe many grocery stores offer double coupons any more due to it being a hassle and people trying to do "extreme couponing" which holds up lines. None of the stores in my area will double coupons now. It's become a thing of the past. Sadly, largley due to that tv show "Extreme Couponing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products