Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

We own a beach rental property and all the blinds are single cords with cleats mounted on the frame or wall so the cords can be put up out of reach. However, every single time we go to check on the place, some renter has tied knots in the cords to join them back up again. I don't understand why people do this - the blinds work just as well with the single cords and are safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
We own a beach rental property and all the blinds are single cords with cleats mounted on the frame or wall so the cords can be put up out of reach. However, every single time we go to check on the place, some renter has tied knots in the cords to join them back up again. I don't understand why people do this - the blinds work just as well with the single cords and are safer.
Because if you don't grasp them just so, the blinds don't go up evenly. If you tie the two cords together then you grab at the bottom and the blind always goes up evenly.

I also have real trouble believing that two strings tied together near the bottom, thus making a loop that's probably 15 or 20 inches long, actually poses any kind of safety risk. I bet if you really looked into these supposed "window blind deaths" you would find that the kids had themselves tied a bunch of knots, nooses, etc. I also suspect that the majority of these supposed incidents didn't even actually happen.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I disagree, some that are good parents may overlook this. Most parents make sure the area around the crib is ok but when a Toddler gets more freedom and dad or mom needs a shower or to run in the bathroom for a few minutes a kid can wind their neck in the Living room cord and die or come close in that time. Sad.
Who in their right mind would let a toddler roam free while in the shower??
There are dozens of household hazards for little kids, BUT, you don't leave blind cords dangling, you fence in a pool and put in a pool alarm, you put those things that look like a plug into outlets not being used, you secure your lower kitchen cabinets, you put cleaners etc out of reach, you anchor TV stands, dressers to wall, you put a chain or slide bolt high on your entrance door so they can't wander out, the list of child proofing a home goes on and on and guess what, these safety measures work as tragedies like these are few and far between.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
How much time is needed to tie up the cords to where they don't hang?

I do believe that common sense is a rarity these days.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
We bought cellular shades with no cords or sticks at all. Cheap, easy to use, insulate well. I guess life is hard for people who have to have things their particular way.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
There is no justification to ban window blind cords.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Cords are perfectly safe in households where children aren't permitted to behave like monkeys.

Ban the ban and start spanking the little brats.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
How about the fact that 2,000 children under 14 die each year in auto accidents.

Using the arguments for banning cords on window blinds, then we need to ban children under 14 from riding in cars.

How about the fact that more than 250 children under 14 die each year from bicycle accidents.

If we eliminated every cause of children's death in this county, we would have a way different world.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:14 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If we eliminated every cause of children's death in this county, we would have a way different world.
Oh, we already hit the path while ago...

Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
We bought cellular shades with no cords or sticks at all. Cheap, easy to use, insulate well. I guess life is hard for people who have to have things their particular way.

You bought what you chose to buy....so that means that the rest of us should also buy what you bought, instead of what we choose to buy.

I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products