Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

They were not forward-thinking, that's why.

The same thing happened with Eastman Kodak where, ironically, the first digital camera was developed in the '70s. TPTB, however, continued to put all their eggs in the film basket. By the time they finally woke up to the new future of photography, consumers were already loyal users of competitors' products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Some of their business practices and poor customer service are to blame for their failures.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I very rarely go to Sears, but went a week or so ago to replace a couple of sockets missing from my tool box. The shelves were 3/4 empty, and it wasn't because they had a Christmas rush. The parking lot had 3 cars in it, and the salespeople were leaning on washers and dryers, shooting the breeze.

I bet at least our local Sears is gone after the holidays.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I like Penneys online. I've gotten many clothes for my husband and I and for gifts.Their men's St Johns Bay dress shirts are really nice--very stylish fabric and colors.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:16 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I order from medical suppliers. They do most of their business by mail, but their websites are just awful.
I sent a query on one website and it took them 3 weeks to respond. And the response was just "no" not "try this instead".
Others have products online, but the price varies by insurance coverage, so you have to actually order the item before you can see the price. makes my head hurt.

And Sears shipping is crazy expensive. I needed a part for my sewing machine that weighed about an ounce and could ship in a padded envelope. They wanted $20 shipping. I got it on ebay for the same base price plus $5 shipping.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 PM

666 posts, read 512,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
And Sears shipping is crazy expensive. I needed a part for my sewing machine that weighed about an ounce and could ship in a padded envelope. They wanted $20 shipping. I got it on ebay for the same base price plus $5 shipping.
That does not sound right to me. (I've ordered from Sears before.) It sounds like you may have been getting the part from one of the third party sellers on there.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
That does not sound right to me. (I've ordered from Sears before.) It sounds like you may have been getting the part from one of the third party sellers on there.
It can be that high through Sears Parts Direct.

Quote:
All items ordered through PartsDirect are shipped through a combination of UPS and/or the US Postal Service. Shipping rates may vary based upon the final composition of the shopping cart. Final shipping rates are calculated in checkout and may vary based upon the shipping destination and method of shipping.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...lse#returnsFAQ

Old 12-20-2017, 09:28 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
I buy and sell used gadgets and electronics online. When I parse through inventory I realize how many companies failed to adapt or adjust to the online world. One example Palm. They created personal organizers before the smart phone. They dominated the market. Apple creates the iPhone and Android follows suit and palm is left in the shadows. They belatedly created a Palm smart phone. It lacked the apps of the other two and died a quick death.

To a lesser degree Microsoft had the same problem. Created software for computers and laptops but entered the smartphone market late with the Windows Phone and it never caught on.

The world is changing quickly and its surprising how many big companies don't get it.

As far as online selling goes. Its Amazon and Walmart. Walmart has a bit of a advantage with their large amount of brick and mortar locations. You order online and pick up at the store. They generate additional sales from you showing up at their store.

The others Sears, Penney's and I expect Target will all go away in a few years. None of them get it.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The other thing that killed Sears was the decline of Craftsman quality when they moved production to China...their tools were a big part of their business and now they've shot themselves in the foot there.
Sears sold Craftsman Tools to Stanley Black & Decker in March of 2017.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
As far as online selling goes. Its Amazon and Walmart. Walmart has a bit of a advantage with their large amount of brick and mortar locations. You order online and pick up at the store. They generate additional sales from you showing up at their store.

The others Sears, Penney's and I expect Target will all go away in a few years. None of them get it.
I love ordering online from Target. Good products, good prices, easy-to-use website, free shipping with my Target card.

I've tried ordering from Walmart, but there's always a problem. One annoying thing they do is add a penalty for shipping to Hawaii. Not just additional shipping, they charge more for the item. They do that in the brick and mortar store, too; items will have pre-printed price tags of, say, $2.97, and a sticky price tag of $3.97. Most of the original prices have been cut off the tags, but some get missed so I can see I'm paying an extra buck for my tee shirt.

My most recent attempt to buy from walmart online, the item showed as available; I put it in my cart, went to check out...and when I put in my address, it was suddenly out of stock. I checked with a different browser (that didn't have the address cookie), and the item was still in stock. The item was inexpensive, bulky, and heavy; I assume that's why they didn't want to ship it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products