Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

We gave our old pressure cooker to the housekeeper, and bought an Instant Pot. It is the next generation of a pressure cooker, and so much nicer. It is like my first car was a 1930 Model A Ford when I was 16. Today we drive a Ford Explorer with all the bells and whistles. The Model A would get you anywhere we want to go today, but the Explorer does it so much better, more comfort, safer and a heck of a lot less noisy.

You can do most of what the Instant Pot will do with an older fashioned pressure cooker, but the Instant Pot does it so much better and easier. It is like the difference between the Model A and the Explorer. Choose which one you would rather use. It is really that type of choice you make for the Instant Pot over the Pressure Cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
We really enjoy our Instant Pot, worth every penny (got it on a Prime Day sale).

You will find my older crock pot at the thrift store before you will find my Instant Pot (since it does both slow and fast cooking).

Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
My wife cooks many meals in her various size crock pots. (Yes, she has small crock, medium crock ,big crock and huge crock) She added the large Instant pot Christmas 2017 and uses it alot!! Our mega expensive range now get little use. With our microwave and we have a kitchen fit for a Queen.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I'm "this" close to ordering one but keep talking myself out of it because I already have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, and am wondering if an Instant Pot is overkill?

Have any of you ditched your slow cooker/pressure cooker and bought an Instant Pot? Does food taste better than a slow cooker for example?
Yes. We still use our crockpot for some things, but we love our Instant Pot and use it much more than we ever used our crockpot. The Instant Pot (and the other electric pressure cookers) make preparing meals so much easier and quicker than a crockpot.

As for taste, I would say that there is a bit of a taste difference between food prepared in the crockpot and food prepared in the Instant Pot. In my experience, meats in the Instant Pot tend to be a little more moist and flavorful. And things like vegetables, beans, and rice/grains don't get as soggy and limp.

But, there are still plenty of things that I would never cook in either an Instant Pot or a crockpot. So, even though we use it several times a week, we still cook the old fashioned way too.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
No, because I saw the last episode of "This is Us".

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
It's great. But you can't pressure CAN with it. Not safe temp yet.

It browns on saute but it's true that your meats will turn out more like a slow cooker texture with pressure cooking unless you perfect your recipes. But you're probably used to that with your stove top model.

You may have to learn the difference in temps for it's slow cooking function compared to your existing one. I think the Instant Pot slow cooking temp is lower.

You can set it and forget it WAY unlike a stove top. When I was eating meat my best use was for chicken stock or bone broth.

You throw 3 lbs of chicken wings in, nothing else, cover them in water and you have broth in an hour. For Bone Broth I'd run it a couple of times to make it deep and rich and it doesn't get bitter. BEfore, I'd use my crock pot for ALL DAY which became a problem when I FORGOT it was on and stopped running, got cold and I'd have to throw it out because four hours had passed by. Danger zone.

You can also throw a FROZEN pork roast in for an hour or so, and have food for three days if you're doing keto or some other animal protein heavy eating.

You will learn the difference between natural release where you just let it release on it's own or quick release. I personally think that meat is better with natural release, quick release kind of forces it and it gets a bit rubbery, they say. But I never let vegetables sit with natural release because I like them slightly cooked not REALLY cooked. Except for broccoli rabe which, amazingly is still ready in under 5 minutes. Maybe three!

Theres a million recipes and websites with info. Lasagna. Cakes. Yogurt. You can layer stuff in a 3 layer steamer. They even make a little spring form pan that fits in there.

And it is true like they advertise, you can either use manual or the pre-set functions and they work. "soup" or whatever.

It may not be to everyone's liking as a cooking technique but as a machine it's perfect.

I'd suggest ordering an extra silicone seal. You remove it and wash it separate from the lid. One for savory and one for sweet. They do retain some "odor" but I just used to clean mine right away, then use some MOUTH WASH LOL, and hang it up to air out and it was okay.

They also sell a clear glass lid you can use when not pressure cooking and a silicone lid so you can put the stainless steel pot in the fridge.

I even bought a small one at Target - The Mini - Ithink it's 3 quarts. So I have two The Duo and Mini. It may have been on sale for 49.00.

When gauging your time, remember the pressure build up time doesn't count. Some people get mad because it takes 10 or 15-20 minutes to reach pressure. Then ONE minute for string beans, after that LOL. But from what I heard, the stove top pressure cookers take way over 25 minutes so ...

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-02-2018 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm waiting for them to start appearing on the shelves at the thrift stores before I buy mine.

I remember back when I worked at a retailer and we couldn't keep the George Foreman grills in stock.

Now? Tons of them for a buck or two at any Goodwill or yard sale.

I think the things I've heard about food not getting really "browned" in the Instant Pot keep me from looking into them very seriously, and I love to cook.

Any, I'm writing. I've taken too many kitchen fads to the thrift stores myself (bread machine anyone?)
That's not why the Foremans are in the thrift stores.

You're seeing older ones replaced with newer ones, be they Foremans or another brand like Cuisinart.

Including larger or smaller sizes, with more modern technology like panini press functions, removable grates, waffle plates, indoor/outdoor grilles, adjustable temps etc.

George Foreman grilles are alive and well in retail. now, 24 years later.

In fact, there are probably about 15 brands making them. Since its introduction in 1994, over 100 million George Foreman brand grills had been sold worldwide over 15 years.

That is NOT a fad. It was amazing new kitchen technology and spawned a new crop of them.

WHY would people stop pressure cooking when it's one of the oldest technology devises around in terms of non-traditional cooking goes?

(Other than the fact that more people are eating more raw and fresh and vegetarians usually don't need pressure cookers except for beans or soups)

Everyday people have been using pressure cookers for many many decades and the first one was in the 1600's LOL. Also not a fad.

The ONLY thing the electric Instant Pot can't do like a stove top is pressure canning. But can a stove top make yogurt? Not sure since I never had one.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-02-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
okay, I'll bite. What is an instant pot and how does it differ from a crock pot and pressure cooker?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
yes, I love mine

Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 PM

91 posts, read 293,320 times
Mine has cut my food bill by at least 40% (easy batch cooking, less waste, less eating out). It's hands down the best appliance I've ever bought. In a fire, it's my dog, my mother's ashes, and my Instant Pot. Maybe not in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products