Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times

Advertisements

Interesting post and replies. I have had a pressure cooker for many years (mostly just for gizzards because they cook up fantastic in a pressure cooker, but difficult to cook on stove top). My concern is a complex device with "programmable" operations that, frankly, I'd rather do my way. Is there a DETAILED recipe book with detailed methods? I've found that devices like this with no spelled out instructions wind up being pretty useless. I am most interested primarily in replacing my now malfunctioning pressure cooker. What is the difference between this and ones $40 cheaper? They look alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
The controls on mine are pretty obvious...not much need for explainations or recipes...

Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
I read the thread title, "Instant Pot" and thought, "Gee, I didn't know there was a time release formula."

Old 02-04-2018, 09:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We have an Instant Pot but we haven't figured out how to solve the problem of the fact that we are so short it's hard to use. I got the wife the 8 quart for Christmas, and with me being the tall partner at barely 5'2" (she's 4"11,") it's impossible for us to reach on our standard countertops. Putting it on our kitchen table is inconvenient. We definitely don't want to use our stool; that's a sure fire way to fall when we're concentrating on cooking. We thought about getting a stand for it, but is it worth it? We used it for one dish and liked it, so we don't want to give up yet.
Put it on a TV tray - I do it all the time.

I bring it into my living room to remember not to forget I have food in there LOL.

Actually not a TV tray, I got a "folding table" at Target (Walmart has them too). They lock into place and hae a resin top.

I cant find it online at the moment but this is similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-8025...X48BGQVH753DKX

My computer is on one right NOW LOL.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Interesting post and replies. I have had a pressure cooker for many years (mostly just for gizzards because they cook up fantastic in a pressure cooker, but difficult to cook on stove top). My concern is a complex device with "programmable" operations that, frankly, I'd rather do my way. Is there a DETAILED recipe book with detailed methods? I've found that devices like this with no spelled out instructions wind up being pretty useless. I am most interested primarily in replacing my now malfunctioning pressure cooker. What is the difference between this and ones $40 cheaper? They look alike.
Yes you get extensive material with instructions including cheat sheets, pictures, recipes etc.

How do you know you'd "rather do it your way" when you don't even have one?

There are only two ways to do it - with pressure cooking function. Manual and YOU guess at how long you want to run it. Or the pre programmed.

Knock yourself out.

I don't have one $40.00 cheaper so I can''t tell you the difference.

You can watch an infomercial from another brand Power Pressure Cooker and see it in action. They're basically the same type of thing.

Here...youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN13IrMs_S4

Also you can find videos on youtube for EVERY conceivable appliance and how people use them.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 PM

Instant Pot search on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=instant+pot+

Old 02-04-2018, 10:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Oh boy, you Americans are so spoiled . That site is a great idea. Unfortunately I live in Canada and I find that the majority of US retailers either don't ship here, or charge an exhorbitant shipping/border broker fee + the exchange rate on our $ is woeful. I've found Best Buy and several other retailers here sell it (6 qt.) up here for $109.00 - haven't found anything here cheaper than that.
Wow, that sucks!

Old 02-05-2018, 09:24 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
If you use your slow cooker and your pressure cooker, you could probably replace both with the Instant Pot. If you don't use either, you probably don't have much need for an Instant Pot.

I have one and it is one of the few appliances I regularly use. I am not much of a cook at all so the things I use it for are really simple but they make it worth it for me - it makes 'hard boiled' eggs absolutely perfect every time and so easy to peel, and I love that - and it makes steel cut oats that are much less fuss and easier to clean dishes etc. than on the stove. So I love it for what I use it for. I have not used my stove top since getting it - between my microwave and it and the oven for pizza, I haven't needed anything else.

I got a mini because it is just me and it was very cheap on sale - less than $50. There are thousands of recipes online if you want them.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
i don't know what an instant pot is but id say think what you are going to cook in it. If you find dishes you are going to make then go for it.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:02 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
If you use your slow cooker and your pressure cooker, you could probably replace both with the Instant Pot. If you don't use either, you probably don't have much need for an Instant Pot.

I have one and it is one of the few appliances I regularly use. I am not much of a cook at all so the things I use it for are really simple but they make it worth it for me - it makes 'hard boiled' eggs absolutely perfect every time and so easy to peel, and I love that - and it makes steel cut oats that are much less fuss and easier to clean dishes etc. than on the stove. So I love it for what I use it for. I have not used my stove top since getting it - between my microwave and it and the oven for pizza, I haven't needed anything else.

I got a mini because it is just me and it was very cheap on sale - less than $50. There are thousands of recipes online if you want them.
I bought one thinking I could replace my slow cooker, but I ended up having to make room for both (I have limited storage space) because it turns out that the IP isn't as good at slow cooking as it is doing what it does best - pressure cooking. That said, I love my IP for making yogurt (I have the Duo) and for making things like soups, broths, stews, chili, pasta sauce and beans. Those are things that took hours on the stove and a lot of attention and the IP excels at those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products