Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:54 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,685,199 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this post is in the right place, but here goes;

This morning I shopped at Walmart where there is a very friendly and good spirited check out guy. Today he looked sad and I asked him what was wrong. He said,"everybody is sad here today because they have been told we (Walmart) were going fully automated and most of us will loss our jobs." He went on to say how difficult it is to find a job in this area and he and his coworkers don't know what they will do.

I wonder has anyone considered what will happen with there is a majority of folks out of work unable to pay taxes or buy the necessities of life?
I witnessed something like this in another state I lived in. When the only industrial plant in the area closed laying off workers causing them long term unemployment and unable to pay their taxes the township raise the taxes on the remaining folks who were working. Needless to say this is not workout and the town is all but deserted.
Seconly, without jobs and cuts in public assistance many will not be able to feed their families. Eventually this will led to crimes of necessity. i.e., man stole loaf of bread to feed his family and got six months in jail. (True story).

I don't use the current automated lines but I doubt that makes any difference in Walmart's plans. However, when Walmart has nothing but automated checkouts I will shop elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 02:39 PM

44,615 posts, read 61,553,895 times
Here's the story about it...
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-or-checkouts/

Basically Walmart wants you text your order to a bot at the store, the bot pulls your item, then it's delivered to your home or business. More details in the article.
What about the millions of people who don't text, like retirees for example. I guess they go to Target or elsewhere to do physical shopping. If you're a touchy feely person who likes to shop and try stuff before buying it you're up a creek at Wally World in the future.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,002,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I wonder has anyone considered what will happen with there is a majority of folks out of work unable to pay taxes or buy the necessities of life?
They do the same thing people have always done when they're job becomes irrelevant, they learn a new skill or trade.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am not sure if this post is in the right place, but here goes;

This morning I shopped at Walmart where there is a very friendly and good spirited check out guy. Today he looked sad and I asked him what was wrong. He said,"everybody is sad here today because they have been told we (Walmart) were going fully automated and most of us will loss our jobs." He went on to say how difficult it is to find a job in this area and he and his coworkers don't know what they will do.

I witnessed something like this in another state I lived in. When the only industrial plant in the area closed laying off workers causing them long term unemployment and unable to pay their taxes the township raise the taxes on the remaining folks who were working. Needless to say this is not workout and the town is all but deserted.
Seconly, without jobs and cuts in public assistance many will not be able to feed their families. Eventually this will led to crimes of necessity. i.e., man stole loaf of bread to feed his family and got six months in jail. (True story).

I don't use the current automated lines but I doubt that makes any difference in Walmart's plans. However, when Walmart has nothing but automated checkouts I will shop elsewhere.

I am a cashier at Walmart. I haven't heard any of this...yet. I HAVE heard about our new pick up program where people can order by text or computer and pick up their order at the store. It will be right in the front and is going in soon. They are looking for a manager for it. If they ever offer home delivery I'll apply for that! IF Walmart does go fully automated it's not going to be very soon and, somehow, I just don't think they can completely go that route. My store would lose a HUGE amount of revenue if it did because, like you, I know our customers would stop coming in. I guess it's a good thing they have to have a prototype first to see how it'll work. Maybe it won't! lol

Walmart is making a LOT of changes these days. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out. Some I agree with and some I don't but they don't ask my opinion.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:49 PM

3,721 posts, read 2,544,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They do the same thing people have always done when they're job becomes irrelevant, they learn a new skill or trade.
Sunday.. under previous circumstances, I'd agree with you. But I believe the Western world is reaching a technological tipping point. Automation is becoming so easy & affordable, that it's making/will make sectors of human labor obsolete, at an unprecedented & irreparable rate..

For better or worse, the world of the Jetsons is upon us..
Peace.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,531 posts, read 81,005,401 times
That is an experiment, to be tried in specific locations where people have more money than time, and/or don’t want to be seen in Walmart. They depend on the lower income people that shop for whatever they can find on sale cheap at most of their stores, so will always have a retail brick and mortar presence. The infamous “People of Walmart”are not going to order online.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
I can see how online ordering benefits consumers who have mobility issues, or who are pressed for time. But it's to the companies' benefit to get shoppers in the door, not merely to pull up to have their orders brought out, or delivered to the home. I always shop with a list, but I take advantage of impulse buys too. I may not have any intention of buying strawberries, until I see a display where they look amazing. Or I might grab some donuts while walking past the aroma from the bakery. And the same premise applies non-food items at Super stores. I go in to Target to get toothpaste and shampoo, and walk out with 10 other items. Every time.

Maybe the lack of impulse purchases would be offset by the cost saving of employee expenses, but I think down the road the stores will lose. When I'm very busy at work, I can go a couple of weeks without shopping for anything. If the stores make it even easier for me to avoid walking in, who knows how long I will stretch out that period. And why compete with Amazon in the first place for my online dollars?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,604,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can see how online ordering benefits consumers who have mobility issues, or who are pressed for time. But it's to the companies' benefit to get shoppers in the door, not merely to pull up to have their orders brought out, or delivered to the home. I always shop with a list, but I take advantage of impulse buys too. I may not have any intention of buying strawberries, until I see a display where they look amazing. Or I might grab some donuts while walking past the aroma from the bakery. And the same premise applies non-food items at Super stores. I go in to Target to get toothpaste and shampoo, and walk out with 10 other items. Every time.

Maybe the lack of impulse purchases would be offset by the cost saving of employee expenses, but I think down the road the stores will lose. When I'm very busy at work, I can go a couple of weeks without shopping for anything. If the stores make it even easier for me to avoid walking in, who knows how long I will stretch out that period. And why compete with Amazon in the first place for my online dollars?
Those impulse buys make you go from the 3 or 4 items on your list to over $100 in the cart! The 3 or 4 items on the list always seem to cost less than $20, too! So Wallies and every other store out there is making out on impulse buys. Same with Loss Leaders. Get folks in the doors. Make them walk 20 miles around the store and magically the cart is full. They've now spent a small fortune and not the $20 they planned on.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,869,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Here's the story about it...
https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-or-checkouts/

Basically Walmart wants you text your order to a bot at the store, the bot pulls your item, then it's delivered to your home or business. More details in the article.
What about the millions of people who don't text, like retirees for example. I guess they go to Target or elsewhere to do physical shopping. If you're a touchy feely person who likes to shop and try stuff before buying it you're up a creek at Wally World in the future.
Yeah, like my father who doesn't even use kiosks. He barely uses a smart phone. He will walk out of stores if all they have open are kiosks. I don't mind kiosks though age restricted items are a pain.

I don't like the idea of texting and getting a robot to do the rest. If I want that, I'll use Amazon. Walmart is good at getting people to buy items they don't need. I didn't need to get Diet Coke Fiery Cherry but at a relatively low price, I figured why not...

Old 02-18-2018, 01:31 AM

121 posts, read 105,705 times
Sadly, every time Walmart runs some positive improvements to their worker's lives, they lay off a bunch of people or hours get cut back to 2 days a week.

Fact is, a bunch of poorer people have to go shoplifting to feed their kids. That's why the baggy pants are in...you can shove a bunch of stuff down those pants at the store. Even at restaurant job, you had to steal to eat or pay for it...At least the kids get to eat twice a day at school, breakfast and lunch. Some kids get backpack full of food around here to keep them fed on weekends...Soup kitchen never moved to poor black areas here, only near the hookers' territory.

WALMART EMPLOYEES - BANK WILL HIRE YOU IF YOU ARE 21, CLEAN CREDIT HISTORY AND NO CRIMINAL RECORD. This is life support job that will support you! Teach yourself 10-key off typing tutor and apply over there with resume. Banks always have tons of over-time...Can also get tuition assistance and go get associate's degree nicely with night school or online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products