Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
People are being really short-sighted if they don't patronize physical stores instead of shopping only online.

Do you want an America littered with only Amazon and Walmart warehouses? What happens when you have an emergency and you need a product right away
interestingly, i see more mom/pop specialty stores opening up because amazon doesnt fill that niche. and while it maybe cheaper online, for hobbies, some people like the social aspect as much so they go into the stores to talk and socialize as much as to buy what they want

i could see the internet take over for generic things, and freeing up physical space for specialty shops

its a win-win for everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This post reminds me of the story of Cassandra, the prophetess who was cursed with knowledge of the future that nobody would believe.

So many people here on C-D would prefer NEVER to interact with the actual physical public outside of the UPS driver. It is truly frightening. I sometimes wonder if they acquired PTSD as a child when they wandered away from their mother at the mall and couldn't find her.
Agreed. I am an introverted person, but I am stunned by how many people will text rather than call, use the self checkout rather than a cashier, a kiosk rather than a teller, and pay more to shop online rather than go into a store. Have we become a country of asocial beings? Apparently.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What I am outright saying is that it is impossible to effectively browse the selection of toys online in any meaningful way compared to standing in a physical aisle and actually examining the full selection.
And yet many of us grew up without that. We played with toys, we saw them advertised on TV, and around the holidays we pored over the Sears "Wishbook". I'm in my mid 50s, grew up in a comfortably middle class home and in a variety of locations (military family) and I can only remember a handful of times I was ever in a toy store. My now-grown children would probably say the same. We had a Toys R Us nearby but it was such an unpleasant experience we avoided it - and that was pre-Amazon. Oddly, they still had plenty of toys and plenty of time to play. How on earth did that happen?

I understand missing the idea of something you enjoyed - it's nostalgia. I was a little sad when the Sears Christmas catalog was ended (among other things) but time marches on and companies that can't figure out how to stay relevant and stand out pay the price.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Toy store chain Toys R Us is planning to sell or close all 800 of its U.S. stores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9e2bfdca4e83
They are also closing their overseas stores also. Shows how they should have changed with the times and gone to online sales. Walmart has and several others also have done well, TRS could have survived, but like Wards, they stayed with a losing style.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And yet many of us grew up without that. We played with toys, we saw them advertised on TV, and around the holidays we pored over the Sears "Wishbook". I'm in my mid 50s, grew up in a comfortably middle class home and in a variety of locations (military family) and I can only remember a handful of times I was ever in a toy store. My now-grown children would probably say the same. We had a Toys R Us nearby but it was such an unpleasant experience we avoided it - and that was pre-Amazon. Oddly, they still had plenty of toys and plenty of time to play. How on earth did that happen?

I understand missing the idea of something you enjoyed - it's nostalgia. I was a little sad when the Sears Christmas catalog was ended (among other things) but time marches on and companies that can't figure out how to stay relevant and stand out pay the price.
Best reply of the thread. I don't know why some people think the sun won't come up the day after TRU is gone!

I dislike going into TRS and my wife even used to work there when we had kids in the TRU age range. Even she dislikes TRS.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
People are being really short-sighted if they don't patronize physical stores instead of shopping only online.

Do you want an America littered with only Amazon and Walmart warehouses? What happens when you have an emergency and you need a product right away?

Getting beyond the fact that everyone will miss the instant gratification of buying an item and actually taking it home right away, there are also many social and economic costs to all of these empty storefronts

Cities are getting a lot less tax revenue from the retailers who have shut down. The closures raise the question of what state and local governments will do if physical retail continues to evaporate. Already, many local governments are attempting to raise taxes to make up for budget shortfalls

But my biggest concern is that the decline of brick-and-mortar retail creates immense social challenges. When people aren’t going to stores to shop, and are instead shopping only online, the vibrancy of local communities that once depended on foot traffic fades. Socialization comes to a near halt. Who wants to live in a society like this?

There is no replacement for grabbing a child by the hand and walking into a big toy store. The sense of wonder and joy is priceless. Think of that the next time you are on Amazon.com.
You also should realize that those "Single stand" stores don't pay well, nor offer benefits.

How can a desire for a toy be described as an emergency?

What's with this "Instant Gratification"? How about the patience it took for people to pay off their homes?

There's still going to be restaurants, grocery stores, churches, festivals, Lawn parties, weddings and other events....Ripping your hair out at this point is excessive drama....

Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. I am an introverted person, but I am stunned by how many people will text rather than call, use the self checkout rather than a cashier, a kiosk rather than a teller, and pay more to shop online rather than go into a store. Have we become a country of asocial beings? Apparently.
My interactions at self checkout are not much different then going to an actual cashier.

Interaction at self check out:
"Did you find everything you needed today?"
"Yes, thank you."
(Items are scanned)
(I go through the prompts to pay by card )
"Thanks for coming in, have a great day."
"Thanks, you too!"

Interaction with a cashier:
"Did you find everything you needed today?"
"Yes, thank you."
(Items are scanned)
(I go through the prompts to pay by card )
(Cashier hands me my receipt)
"Thanks for coming in, have a great day."
"Thanks, you too!"

What an asocial being I am for not having another person physically hand me my receipt.

I don't go to a teller because I never have a reason to go to the bank. I comparison shop, and buy online when its cheaper.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I still fail to understand Amazon's popularity. Plenty of websites offer "free shipping" with a cheaper membership fee or none at all and they are not price competitive on many items. Of course, for many, convenience is more important, and Amazon offers that. I love their review system however. I use that all the time and buy the item somewhere else.
The allure of Amazon to me is I can have stuff at a max in 2 days for free shipping. Many items I can have next day for a small fee (3.99) and some I can have same day (for like $6 extra). All without ever stepping foot in a store

Please note I'm not a shut in or anything. I'm out and about quite often shopping and doing things but there's some things I'd prefer to just order online and can get a better deal.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Toys R Us went out of business because of Amazon, Walmart and Target but mostly because they had 5 BILLION dollars worth of the debt from the leveraged buyout. The interest payments alone were 400 MILLION dollars a year and there was no money for store upgrades, website upgrades, merchandise and the like. It was just a matter of time.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
interestingly, i see more mom/pop specialty stores opening up because amazon doesnt fill that niche. and while it maybe cheaper online, for hobbies, some people like the social aspect as much so they go into the stores to talk and socialize as much as to buy what they want

i could see the internet take over for generic things, and freeing up physical space for specialty shops

its a win-win for everyone
Lol 'freeing up physical space for specialty shops'

Where is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have plenty of empty commercial buildings and storefronts already?

This is like telling the 30,000 TRU employees losing their jobs that they should be excited by the opportunity to look for an even better job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products