Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times

Advertisements

My kids are all grown now, but TRU always struck me as unkempt and somewhat dirty with cheap crap.

I always preferred to take my kids shopping at https://www.creativekidstuff.com/.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 AM

194 posts, read 168,199 times
I'm hearing rumors that KB toys might make a return. Anybody else hear about this?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:06 PM

220 posts, read 145,487 times
Hmmm, a business plan based on nostalgia. I like it. Won't get any of my money of course, but go for it!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I know the management was the problem, a huge thriving company doesn't just go under like this without some serious upper management problems.
The only management problem was the failure of the CEO, CFO and COO to maintain large cash reserves. Without large cash reserves, it is nearly impossible for a corporation to prevent a hostile take-over, leveraged buy-out or forced merger/acquisition.

Toys 'R' Us was unable to prevent KKR and Bain Capital from gaining control of Toys 'R' Us through stock purchases. Once they had control, KKR and Bain Capital buried Toys 'R' Us in debt, and Toys 'R' Us was never able to climb out of debt.

That, plus the fact that Toys 'R' Us couldn't respond to changing demographics -- today's children prefer electronic toys to traditional toys -- and couldn't respond to effectively to competition -- Toys 'R' Us was basically a show-room for other competitors, resulted in their demise.

Toys 'R' Us is done, and everyone needs to get over it.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The only management problem was the failure of the CEO, CFO and COO to maintain large cash reserves. Without large cash reserves, it is nearly impossible for a corporation to prevent a hostile take-over, leveraged buy-out or forced merger/acquisition.

Toys 'R' Us was unable to prevent KKR and Bain Capital from gaining control of Toys 'R' Us through stock purchases. Once they had control, KKR and Bain Capital buried Toys 'R' Us in debt, and Toys 'R' Us was never able to climb out of debt.

That, plus the fact that Toys 'R' Us couldn't respond to changing demographics -- today's children prefer electronic toys to traditional toys -- and couldn't respond to effectively to competition -- Toys 'R' Us was basically a show-room for other competitors, resulted in their demise.

Actually that describes pretty much all brick and mortar stores today. They are a place to go and look, then you go and order it online for less.

This is really pretty sad. You can't stop the demise of brick and mortar. You can slow it down a bit, but you can't stop it. This campaign is just a lot of wasted money. TRU is shutting down because they have no future and the management knows it. If there was anyway out, they would not shut down.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Old 03-25-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Actually that describes pretty much all brick and mortar stores today. They are a place to go and look, then you go and order it online for less.

This is really pretty sad. You can't stop the demise of brick and mortar. You can slow it down a bit, but you can't stop it. This campaign is just a lot of wasted money. TRU is shutting down because they have no future and the management knows it. If there was anyway out, they would not shut down.
Somehow Bestbuy and PC Richards stays afloat.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:07 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
A GoFundMe to save a big box store? Really?
LOL my same question too.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I congratulate Mr. Larian on his innovative method to raise funds for a corporate takeover. I assume that most know what his business interests are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGA_Entertainment

Don't forget what day this is besides Easter.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
I remember when it was still a local chain with just a few stores. One was in Annapolis, and I always wanted to stop there when we'd pass, but if we were in Annapolis, it was for some other reason and I never got to go there. By the time one opened in Glen Burnie Mall, I was past their target age range. Some friends of mine, including my future wife, worked at that store for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products