Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:20 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree about Sinclair broadcasting. But, really, how is it different for Bezos buying up news media sites?

If you've read or heard any of the news from any of the sources owned by him, then yes, he has been putting his politics into your head.

People like to think Bezos is different, just because his politics are more liberal than Sinclair, but his behavior is the same.

I think for some people, it's like finding out Santa Claus is really your dad.

And no, Bezos was not upfront about owning Business Insider, while BI was doing "news" pieces about how great The Washington Post has been since Bezos bought it and "turned it around," etc.

They finally put in an apology for not putting that in their original news article, but who read the later disclaimer that Bezos owned the news source saying how great his WP takeover was?

If Bezos was some kind of saint, he'd keep his employees in the U.S., instead of taking advantage of basically slave wages in other countries. Don't you think he could afford to hire U.S. workers in the U.S.? Pay his warehouse workers a better wage? Give benefits to the Amazon Fresh drivers?

As I say, he's no saint. He doesn't deserve any more credit than any other billionaire who outsources his workforce to other countries and treats his U.S. workers like garbage, while working on even eliminating their jobs with automation.
I’m sorry, when it comes to media there is no comparison. Sinclair owns almost 200 stations and is currently awaiting (inevitable) approval of 30-some more. . The Washington Post doesn’t send scripts and force it’s journalists to print them as their own words. If you saw any of the videos where they put videos dozens of anchors at Sinclair owned stations across the country on the screen parroting the exact same words in unison, well frankly I found it terrifying.

The rise of online shopping was inevitable, Amazon just was most successful at it. They don’t care what prices sellers charge, they forced no one overseas. While Walmart told Rubbermaid if they wanted to be in its’ stores, they needed to move their factory from Massachusetts to China.

Aside from that, if I only shopped at stores owned by saints, I’d have pretty limited choices. If I limited what I bought to things made by American workers, there would be many things I wouldn’t even be able to buy. Including Trumps ties and Ivanka’ shoes, although I read she moved hers to Africa because Chinese wages have risen. Again, very few saints to be found anywhere, most especially among the super rich and powerful, and IMO Bezos is not even close to the worst of the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
It's too bad your apartment building doesn't have a secure place for packages. Some of the large apartment buildings in Portland do, and it works great.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:20 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It's too bad your apartment building doesn't have a secure place for packages. Some of the large apartment buildings in Portland do, and it works great.
Yeah, I wish. You know what's funny. I ordered a few things from Amazon recently because it's the only place I can get them. In order to avoid dealing with the hassles of trying to get things delivered to my home, I chose to have them delivered to an Amazon locker near my apartment. So, in theory, the UPS guy can just go put it in a locker at a nearby 7-11 store, and not have to deal with getting into an apartment building, leaving it where it could be stolen, etc.

So, I get a text from Amazon that the UPS driver couldn't deliver the package to the Amazon locker, but they'll try again on Monday.

Now, you figure out why the UPS driver couldn't just stop at an outside Amazon locker at a 7-11 store. I can't work it out.

It's basically the same thing as just saying they tried to deliver something at your home, when you were home all day.

I absolutely hate having anything delivered to my home now. It's just a nightmare. Just this last week, I even ordered something on Ebay and UPS just left the package outside of my apartment building - when the office was open. Another tenant saw the packages out there, and brought them in and asked the manager to put them in her office for me.

I can only assume the delivery drivers are under unreasonable pressure to get their routes done within a certain time frame, so they're left with the choice of getting in trouble for not finishing their routes, or just throwing packages out on the street, basically, and risking getting in trouble for that.

But, in a nutshell, dealing with any delivery service right now just s*cks.

I will say that FedEx is way better than UPS. And USPS is actually the best. I'm going to have to guess that UPS is the cheapest option for companies to use, hence, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:29 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Well, just when I was loving Walmart more than Amazon....

I put together an order online to pick up in store that wasn't the minimum $35 for shipping, and it didn't allow me to choose my smaller neighborhood Walmart store. It only listed options for the Superstores which I absolutely loathe going to. There was a link that says, "Why isn't my preferred store listed?" And it just says they're listing stores where all of the options are available.

So, another benefit bites the dust for consumers.

So, now I get to either spend $35 for free shipping (same as Amazon) or go pick up my order at a huge Superstore where parking and picking up my stuff will be a giant pain in the rear.

Amazon has lockers in way better locations.

So, I guess Amazon wins again. I'm so disappointed! I loved being able to pick up my orders at the local Walmart Neighborhood store.

I left feedback on their website. I'm sure they won't care. Sigh.
I was bummed by that too. I wanted to try the curbside pick up for the first time. Car in the shop, friend taking me, I didn't want her to have to wait while I shopped.

Why is there parking involved at the super-store though? I thought the point was curb side.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:31 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yep, I'll be revisiting buying from Target. I stopped buying from them because they were more expensive than Walmart. But, there's one fairly close to where I live that's WAY nicer than dealing with a Walmart Supercenter-from-hell.
Here, Krogers is not more expensive than wal-mart. Maybe look at regular grocery chains.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 AM

Today, I picked up an order from the Walmart Superstore, because I couldn't pick it up at the Neighborhood Walmart store, and they don't ship the fluorescent lightbulbs I needed. The price was cheap enough that I figured it was worth it. I could have picked them up at a closer Lowe's store for a little more money. Live and learn.

So, I drive fairly far to go to the Superstore, then I try to find a parking place that would be easy - I started out at a far away parking area, because I don't mind walking, and would rather not have to deal with the people who stop all progress in parking lots, because they're willing to spend 30 minutes waiting to find the closest parking spot they can find.

So, I turn into the far lot, and their security car is driving about 2 miles per hour in front of me. Then the security car just stop. Nobody gets out, I'm waiting behind them, and nothing is happening. I'm guessing they were on their phone.

I got frustrated, and just went ahead and parked, although there were lots of empty places much closer - if I was willing to wait for their security car to get off their phone and move out of the way.

Then, I go into the store, and was about to get in line at the customer service desk, but there was a really long line, and I decided to ask a checkout person if that was the correct line for online pickups. Glad I did, because it turns out the online pickup location, is at the far back end of the store. There are no signs that tell you this.

So, I then walk the 1/4 mile to the back of the store (exaggerating, but the store is enormous). Then, there's a big screen there that I am supposed to check in with (no human there), where I enter my order number.

Then, the screen says they'll start processing my order, and to look at the overhead monitor for the progress of my order. But, there is no overhead monitor.

Okay, so then I find a counter that is where they help customers, and wait while they deal with someone ahead of me. Then, they deal with me and get my lightbulbs.

Then, I walk 1/4 mile back to the front of the store, and another 1/4 mile to my car, then get into traffic to drive on the freeway back to my apartment.

Enormous PITA. So, next time I'll be paying more for the same lightbulbs at Lowes. And Walmart loses some of my business.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was bummed by that too. I wanted to try the curbside pick up for the first time. Car in the shop, friend taking me, I didn't want her to have to wait while I shopped.

Why is there parking involved at the super-store though? I thought the point was curb side.
Fire regulations would prevent them from letting people park along the curb for extended periods. I would have to pretty much re-design the whole store.At my Walmart though the designated spots for shop from home or right outside the door. The problem is that some people violate the signs that say shop from home pick up only and park there even when going into the store. So the problem isnt Walmart it’s the other shoppers.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Today, I picked up an order from the Walmart Superstore, because I couldn't pick it up at the Neighborhood Walmart store, and they don't ship the fluorescent lightbulbs I needed. The price was cheap enough that I figured it was worth it. I could have picked them up at a closer Lowe's store for a little more money. Live and learn.

So, I drive fairly far to go to the Superstore, then I try to find a parking place that would be easy - I started out at a far away parking area, because I don't mind walking, and would rather not have to deal with the people who stop all progress in parking lots, because they're willing to spend 30 minutes waiting to find the closest parking spot they can find.

So, I turn into the far lot, and their security car is driving about 2 miles per hour in front of me. Then the security car just stop. Nobody gets out, I'm waiting behind them, and nothing is happening. I'm guessing they were on their phone.

I got frustrated, and just went ahead and parked, although there were lots of empty places much closer - if I was willing to wait for their security car to get off their phone and move out of the way.

Then, I go into the store, and was about to get in line at the customer service desk, but there was a really long line, and I decided to ask a checkout person if that was the correct line for online pickups. Glad I did, because it turns out the online pickup location, is at the far back end of the store. There are no signs that tell you this.

So, I then walk the 1/4 mile to the back of the store (exaggerating, but the store is enormous). Then, there's a big screen there that I am supposed to check in with (no human there), where I enter my order number.

Then, the screen says they'll start processing my order, and to look at the overhead monitor for the progress of my order. But, there is no overhead monitor.

Okay, so then I find a counter that is where they help customers, and wait while they deal with someone ahead of me. Then, they deal with me and get my lightbulbs.

Then, I walk 1/4 mile back to the front of the store, and another 1/4 mile to my car, then get into traffic to drive on the freeway back to my apartment.

Enormous PITA. So, next time I'll be paying more for the same lightbulbs at Lowes. And Walmart loses some of my business.
That sounds like an awful experience. Most Walmarts are not like that. And most you pick up at the front of the store at customer service and even if there is a long line, someone comes to you while you’re in the line and scans your receipt and gets the stuff sometimes even before you get up to the counter. That sounds like an awful experience. Most Walmarts are not like that. And most you pick up at the front of the store at customer service and even if there is a long line, someone comes to you while you’re in the line and scans your receipt and gets the stuff sometimes even before you get up to the counter. Even at Christmas time I was in and out in 15 minutes . Most also have a host at the front and when you come in they ask you if you’re picking up or shopping. So they can direct you . I would not go to yours either.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:55 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Have you considered getting a PMB? That would solve the delivery problems.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Have you considered getting a PMB? That would solve the delivery problems.
Except that it would involve me having to put something into my truck, then take it out of my truck, then get it from the truck to my apartment. It just depends on what the item is.

And, having a separate PMB is an additional monthly charge. It may come to that, but what a pain and added expense in gas and time, etc., to have to go stand in line at the UPS store to get my stuff, then haul it out to my truck, then haul it to my apartment, etc., and pay for gas, on and on.

Just venting, I guess, but I just hate the options. I guess I'm old an miss the old days when you got decent customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products