Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Well, just when I was loving Walmart more than Amazon....

I put together an order online to pick up in store that wasn't the minimum $35 for shipping, and it didn't allow me to choose my smaller neighborhood Walmart store. It only listed options for the Superstores which I absolutely loathe going to. There was a link that says, "Why isn't my preferred store listed?" And it just says they're listing stores where all of the options are available.

So, another benefit bites the dust for consumers.

So, now I get to either spend $35 for free shipping (same as Amazon) or go pick up my order at a huge Superstore where parking and picking up my stuff will be a giant pain in the rear.

Amazon has lockers in way better locations.

So, I guess Amazon wins again. I'm so disappointed! I loved being able to pick up my orders at the local Walmart Neighborhood store.

I left feedback on their website. I'm sure they won't care. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I put together an order online to pick up in store that wasn't the minimum $35 for shipping, and it didn't allow me to choose my smaller neighborhood Walmart store. It only listed options for the Superstores which I absolutely loathe going to. There was a link that says, "Why isn't my preferred store listed?" And it just says they're listing stores where all of the options are available.

So, now I get to either spend $35 for free shipping (same as Amazon) or go pick up my order at a huge Superstore where parking and picking up my stuff will be a giant pain in the rear.

So, I guess Amazon wins again. I'm so disappointed! I loved being able to pick up my orders at the local Walmart Neighborhood store.

Is it possible that your order had items that weren't available for shipping, but just in stores? Also, doesn't your Superstore have drive-up pickup? The one closest to me recently changed and all online orders are picked up through the drive through. No more going into the store for online order / in-store pickup.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Is it possible that your order had items that weren't available for shipping, but just in stores? Also, doesn't your Superstore have drive-up pickup? The one closest to me recently changed and all online orders are picked up through the drive through. No more going into the store for online order / in-store pickup.

I guess not all the stores are doing it the same. Our store has online pickup of general merchandise inside the store but rather than having to go clear to the back to pick it up it's now up front. They have lockers built and even comfy leather armchairs you can sit in while you wait. The online grocery pickup is a drive through at one end of the store. I wonder why they don't do both in the drive through. I guess I can always ask.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM

No drive through pickup options, that I know of. You'd think a city as big as San Jose would have it, but I don't see it as an option. I just loved being able to go to the smaller neighborhood store. Wah.

I did go ahead and ordered something to be delivered to an Amazon locker and that worked out great. By the size of the lockers, though, it seems like your boxes couldn't be very big.

I just have a lot of trouble with deliveries where I live. Both UPS and Amazon delivery drivers are horrible. They either just leave packages outside the apartment building, or put those stickers up saying they tried to deliver and they take off, without bothering to come into the building. Just today, I had to go to a UPS Store to pick up two heavy packages that should have been delivered to my door - but, the UPS driver just put a sticker on the apartment building saying he tried to deliver (bunch of bull), and the I got notice I had to go pick it up at the UPS Store! Major pain in the rear.

I am just hating the changes in our retail options. Pretty much zero customer service anymore.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:26 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
No drive through pickup options, that I know of. You'd think a city as big as San Jose would have it, but I don't see it as an option. I just loved being able to go to the smaller neighborhood store. Wah.

I did go ahead and ordered something to be delivered to an Amazon locker and that worked out great. By the size of the lockers, though, it seems like your boxes couldn't be very big.

I just have a lot of trouble with deliveries where I live. Both UPS and Amazon delivery drivers are horrible. They either just leave packages outside the apartment building, or put those stickers up saying they tried to deliver and they take off, without bothering to come into the building. Just today, I had to go to a UPS Store to pick up two heavy packages that should have been delivered to my door - but, the UPS driver just put a sticker on the apartment building saying he tried to deliver (bunch of bull), and the I got notice I had to go pick it up at the UPS Store! Major pain in the rear.

I am just hating the changes in our retail options. Pretty much zero customer service anymore.
Check to see if your item is at Target (and cost wise). You can pick it up for free there.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:

What difference does it make? You still get to pick up your items. And Amazon is more expensive than Walmart

Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What difference does it make? You still get to pick up your items. And Amazon is more expensive than Walmart
Yes, Amazon is more expensive than Walmart.

The difference is, now I have to wait to order at least $35 worth of stuff to get free shipping. And free shipping absolutely s*cks where I live. All of the delivery services are horrible - leaving packages out on the street, packages getting stolen - just awful.

Going to a Walmart Supercenter is not close to where I live, and the parking is horrible, and the service is horrible, and the lines are worse.

I loved being able to just drive a few blocks to a small neighborhood Walmart, park without hassle, and wait in a short line.

So, now Walmart doesn't look so good to me. And the next best option is more expensive, but more convenient, which is probably what I'm going to opt for.

So, although I stopped shopping at Target because it was more expensive, I will probably revisit that idea, as it's also fairly close with a good parking lot, and it's not horribly crowded, and they are better staffed than Walmart.

I think this was a big mistake for Walmart, at least in areas like mine, where we have plenty of other options. It was good while it lasted, though.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Check to see if your item is at Target (and cost wise). You can pick it up for free there.
Thanks. Yep, I'll be revisiting buying from Target. I stopped buying from them because they were more expensive than Walmart. But, there's one fairly close to where I live that's WAY nicer than dealing with a Walmart Supercenter-from-hell.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:59 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yep, I'll be revisiting buying from Target. I stopped buying from them because they were more expensive than Walmart. But, there's one fairly close to where I live that's WAY nicer than dealing with a Walmart Supercenter-from-hell.
Glad to share the idea.

I was looking for a cell phone, phone cord pouch and couldn't find it anywhere... not even Best Buy. I wanted to buy at brick and motor store!!

I look up Target- there it is! They even gave me the sale price that was at the store, not on the internet.

I also have found items cheaper at aTarget. For $3.99 you can get 12 piece food storage (2 small 9 oz, 5 mediums, 24 oz and 5 large, 25 oz) just l
As sturdy as Tupeware containers plus lids. Others stores have 5 or 6 for 2.99+.

Target is doable. I hope the brick and motor stores are used more to keep them around!! I don't want to wake up to only having Amazon to shop at!!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Glad to share the idea.

I was looking for a cell phone, phone cord pouch and couldn't find it anywhere... not even Best Buy. I wanted to buy at brick and motor store!!

I look up Target- there it is! They even gave me the sale price that was at the store, not on the internet.

I also have found items cheaper at aTarget. For $3.99 you can get 12 piece food storage (2 small 9 oz, 5 mediums, 24 oz and 5 large, 25 oz) just l
As sturdy as Tupeware containers plus lids. Others stores have 5 or 6 for 2.99+.

Target is doable. I hope the brick and motor stores are used more to keep them around!! I don't want to wake up to only having Amazon to shop at!!
Amen! I really don't like how Amazon is trying to take over the world - to be the one source for all services and goods people need. Monopolies are scary. I'm doing my best not to spend any money with Amazon for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products