Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,179,721 times

Advertisements

https://store.usps.com/store/results...questid=776760

What does Forever 50 cents mean?

I don't really send mails a lot, but I prefer to have some stamps at home (to avoid going to post office each time when I mail a letter).

A few years ago, I bought some stamps of Forever First Class, now the stamp is running out, but I could not find Forever First Class stamps anymore.

Not exactly sure if Forever 50 cents means Forever First Class?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
That is the current cost of a first-class Forever Stamp.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
It means you can use it forever to mail 1st class. Once you run out of those then you get the next batch of forever stamps that will probably cost more in the future. It's a hedge against rate increases, but the PO will still honor yours until you run out of stamps.
We still use our left over 43 cent forever stamps. Once they're used up then we'll buy the current ones.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

I don't really send mails a lot, but I prefer to have some stamps at home (to avoid going to post office each time when I mail a letter).

A few years ago, I bought some stamps of Forever First Class, now the stamp is running out, but I could not find Forever First Class stamps anymore.

Thanks.
I don't know, but I will give them prompts for actually having a 50 cent stamp instead of a 49 or 51 cent stamp. I believe that is the first*time they have had a round value first class stamp in almost 40 years.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
It means you can use it forever to mail 1st class. Once you run out of those then you get the next batch of forever stamps that will probably cost more in the future. It's a hedge against rate increases, but the PO will still honor yours until you run out of stamps.
We still use our left over 43 cent forever stamps. Once they're used up then we'll buy the current ones.
I'm still using 41 cent forever stamps, and I'm pretty sure they will last me the rest of my life.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

Thanks.
A forever stamp's face value will always be whatever the current 1st Class mail rate is at the time, and if the rate changes, the value of the stamp will change as well. Forever stamps bought when the rate is 46 cents and not used by the time the rate changes to, say, 48 cents, will be worth 48 cents.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
A forever stamp's face value will always be whatever the current 1st Class mail rate is at the time, and if the rate changes, the value of the stamp will change as well. Forever stamps bought when the rate is 46 cents and not used by the time the rate changes to, say, 48 cents, will be worth 48 cents.
You did not answer my question. Obviously, I understand the word "Forever". As first post mentions, I used to have some Forever First Class stamp, which is clear that it can be used as first class stamp forever, the stamp does not have the value printed on itself.

Now I could not find any Forever First Class stamp, instead, it says Forever 50 Cents. From the word Forever 50 cents, my guess it will also worth 50 cents in the future, if it costs more than 50 cents in the future, then I will need to pay the remaining balance. But I am not exactly sure about Forever 50 cents.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Forever stamps don't have a dollar amount printed on them. They are worth whatever the first-class postage rate is on any given day. To find out what that amount is, check the USPS website.
https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/f...ey-work-892774

Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 PM

I am feeling that so many people do not really read my post before replying.

Currently, they strikethrough the word Forever on the stamp, that got to mean something. I don't think it is forever first class. In stead, they put down year 2018 on the stamp, below instruction shows Forever 50 cents. By my understanding, the stamp will never expire, but it will be worth 50 cents forever. E.g. in 2020, the first class stamp costs 53 cents, they look at your old stamp labeled 2018, they will know it is old stamp from 2018, which is only 50 cents back in 2018, they should ask you to pay additional 3 cents. That was my guessing. Basically, I am saying, technically, it seems that there is no more Forever First Class stamp, and it does not make sense to buy too many stamps for future use.

In the old days, the word Forever is never strikethrough. It does NOT indicate year too. It was always sold as "Forever First Class". Now we don't really find the term "Forever First Class" on the official website anymore.

There must be something changed, otherwise, they can definitely keep using the term "Forever First Class".
Attached Thumbnails
USPS Stamp: Forever 50 cents-forever.jpg   USPS Stamp: Forever 50 cents-first-class.jpg  

Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Did you actually buy stamps with the forever crossed out? USPS does that on their website so people cabnot print out fake stamps, but the actual stamps typically aren't crossed out.

They call them forever 50 because that is the current price for stamps. If stamps cost $.48, they would be labeled as forever 48. It has nothing to do with the year. Stamps went up a penny in January, but stamps that were issued in 2017 (and say 2017 on them) are now worth $.50 too.

The date is just showimg when the stamp ews first issued, or first available. It has nothing to do with when you bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products