Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My husband sells on ebay, and when people want to know the shipping charges, he gathers the item and packing materials and weighs them and uses a postage calculator to get a price and adds a few dollars just in case. Tells the guy what the price is, how he arrived at it and says, since this isn't a sale the price may go down a little, since it's an estimation.

The fact the seller doesn't want to give you a price, I would move along.

And can't you buy individual pieces and not bother with a set?
The last seller sent me individual pieces. They are two star quality, vs the five star quality set. I'm looking for tools that will last. I need this set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you didn't get what you paid for, you should have notified eBay, left negative feedback, and requested a full refund. Why would you let someone scam you like that?

Oftentimes, there are popular older items, that are no longer produced, that have huge price-tags on eBay. Just because you found another seller for what you hope will be the authentic item, doesn't guarantee that it will be. I would walk away from this deal, if no total delivered cost can be stated, before you click the "Buy" button. You might get skinned for a lot more money and still not get what you want.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
There is no acceptable reason why he can't give you a shipping charge
I once sold a large, very heavy piece of furniture that I couldn't weigh and still managed to find a way.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Is this a foreign seller? High probability the item will be counterfeit. Then what will you do?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There is no acceptable reason why he can't give you a shipping charge
I once sold a large, very heavy piece of furniture that I couldn't weigh and still managed to find a way.
He says he can't do that, until I place the order. Which seems to be the truth. Since eBay is not allowing me to request the total.

I'm thinking about maybe placing the order and then using it to negotiate shipping charges. I looked up the shipping rates and they are expensive, but I found a sea mail rate that is pretty reasonable. I think I might just order and tell him that the sea mail rate is the most I'm going to pay for shipping, or I want to cancel the order. Downside is that it would take me forever to get the item, but it would come with a tracking number. So I would know that it was shipped. So I might be able to use this to my advantage. If I don't agree to the shipping charges I should be able to request to cancel the order, I would think.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Well, Ebay usually gives the buyer a great deal of protection. The worst that could happen is that you will be stuck with a NPB on your record. Pay with a credit card so you can do a chargeback if needed.

Have you contacted Ebay about this to see what your options are?

PS - I sell on Ebay, I just checked to see if I could do what the seller did -I can't. I have a choice of flat or calculated shipping. There is no option, "contact seller for shipping rates.". Is it showing up in the listing as free shipping? And then, within the listing, seller says "contact me"?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Well, Ebay usually gives the buyer a great deal of protection. The worst that could happen is that you will be stuck with a NPB on your record. Pay with a credit card so you can do a chargeback if needed.

Have you contacted Ebay about this to see what your options are?

PS - I sell on Ebay, I just checked to see if I could do what the seller did -I can't. I have a choice of flat or calculated shipping. There is no option, "contact seller for shipping rates.". Is it showing up in the listing as free shipping? And then, within the listing, seller says "contact me"?
This is how it shows up in the listing:

I'll be paying with an eBay Gift Card. That's the way I pay for all my eBay purchases, due to problems I have had with PayPal. I haven't tried to contact eBay. It's there stupid policy that allows this to happen, to begin with. They shouldn't even allow orders to go through without a shipping price.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:37 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It seems that eBay listings are now often dominated by Amazon dropshippers and Chinese sellers. I rarely shop at eBay anymore unless it is an item I can't find anywhere else, and I tend to use caution and try to avoid overseas sellers.
This is true. I order from eBay all the time (nothing expensive), and several of the items have come from Amazon.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I'm going to wait for the update on how the OP got ripped off (AGAIN)

Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM

8,894 posts, read 211,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This is how it shows up in the listing:

I'll be paying with an eBay Gift Card. That's the way I pay for all my eBay purchases, due to problems I have had with PayPal. I haven't tried to contact eBay. It's there stupid policy that allows this to happen, to begin with. They shouldn't even allow orders to go through without a shipping price.
Then you click contact seller and ask. Just send your zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products