Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:33 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,178,035 times

Advertisements

I often weigh things on he scale, to see if I am getting the best price. For example, lets say a cello bag of carrots, one pound, is 79. Or a 3-pound bag, 2.29. But those are not exact weights. They put whole carrots in the bag until it hits the one pound mark, and then the whole carrot adds to the weight. Some bags are barely over 16 ounces, but some will be as much as 19. But the three pound bag will also only be over by a fraction of a carrot, say 50 ounces instead of 48. So you can buy the heaviest three one-pound bags and get 57 ounces for 2.37, which is cheaper than 50 ounces for 2.29. Do the same thing with onions.

If you're not sure of an ice cream brand on special, weigh it. Better quality ice cream is heavier, because it is not whipped as frothy. Ice cream is sold by the fluid ounce, so you can weigh a quart of each, and the better ice cream will weigh more in the same size carton.

I've found that toothpaste often has air pockets in the tube. So weigh a bunch of toothpaste boxes, and buy the heaviest ones. Or at least avoid then light ones.

A friend of mine buys lobster, and picks one out of the tank first, and lets it flop around in the cart and dry off while he shops, before he takes it back to be weighed. At $16.00 a pound, it can shake off a dollars worth of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 05:07 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,992,134 times
I have weighed packages of produce to get the heaviest one. LOL at taking the lobster for a ride in your shopping cart!!!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 AM

24,143 posts, read 10,462,349 times
Sorry but I am not taking a bunch of tooth paste to the vegetable section, weigh it individually then take the others back through the store and restock the shelf for a penny's worth of tooth paste.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:57 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,178,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry but I am not taking a bunch of tooth paste to the vegetable section, weigh it individually then take the others back through the store and restock the shelf for a penny's worth of tooth paste.
Then, what are you doing in the Frugal Living forum? We do that here just for sport.l (JK)

Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,077,656 times
Interesting thought on the ice cream. If you are going for cheaper brands, that has some merit. I've found that a recipe that uses half-and-half and egg to make ice cream custard is even less expensive, and of known quality.

It used to amaze me in the early 1970s when people would be lining up at the very first Ben & Jerry's in Burlington, when just up the hill, in the dairy sciences building of UVM, was one of the best ice dream secrets around - an ice cream counter that served custard-based pure Vermont-made ice cream from select cows (Jerseys IIRC) that was heavenly and cheaper than the gum-based recipe B&J was using.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,992,134 times
I don't mind some air in my ice cream, I am trying to lose weight anyway. I just got a Donvier IC maker and will be trying my own recipes to save some money.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
Hmm, weighing things I never thought of weighing...fun.
I agree...it's like a sport here.
I love the 'What to do with things from the Dollar Store'! LOL!

Darn, they don't have scales there!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM

106,065 posts, read 108,035,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
me neither , there reaches a point that it becomes more cheap then frugal in your behavior .

Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,328,375 times
So if you have a cart full of items you can literally spend the day at the produce scale.

I think that calls for an extra therapy session with the shrink...

Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 AM

15,116 posts, read 32,194,654 times
I do that with the rotisseries chickens from Food4Less. The packages say that they weight 2lbs, but I'll weigh all of them, and find a 3lb one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products