Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

I'm female. I work mainly at home, but also do a fair amount of errands and shopping. I don't wear pajamas or sweatpants, or anything I wouldn't want to be seen in in public, around the house. I would probably feel differently if I had an outside job and home was mainly for relaxation, but in order to be in a proper mindset for my work, I can't slop around in sleepwear during the day. Plus, I wouldn't enjoy changing clothes back and forth every time I step into or out of the house.

I get up every single day and get dressed in clean, presentable clothes (even though they are jeans/shorts and T-shirt, 99% of the time), as well as fixing my hair and putting in my contacts, whether I'll be going out and shopping or doing errands, or just tackling my work at home. That will do for the whole day.

Where I live, Southern California, jeans/shorts and T-shirt are perfectly acceptable for shopping. I will dress up (nicer pants and blouse, or a skirt or dress) for special occasions, but shopping is not a special occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I don't "dress up" but I most certainly don't wear jogging pants or pajamas to do my shopping. I also put on a bit of make up.

I find it very lazy and sometimes disgusting when I see some women dress in sloppy, dirty outifts that aren't fit to clean a horse barn in. Their kids are usually filthy dirty too. Sad.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I will wear jeans, a T-shirt and sandals but I always have on make up and perfume and my hair must be perfect. I always have on matching underwear as well.

If I am going to an upscale store, I will more than likely have on jewelry and carry one of my designer bags.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Dress up? No.

Not look like a schlub? Yes.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM

257 posts, read 177,505 times
Unless I'm in the middle of something like a home improvement project where I need to make a quick run to the hardware store, or just need one or two quick things from the grocery store, I always get cleaned up before leaving the house. For me cleaned up is showered, hair combed, shaved, etc., and wearing a collared shirt, usually with a pair of long slacks, and some decent close-toed nonathletic shoes like a pair of oxfords or loafers or leather deck shoes. I'll wear a pair of shorts out in a beach town (but change to slacks before going out to dinner) like Galveston where I have a house, and I'll wear shorts in the heat of the summer here in Houston during the weekend if I'm just in the neighborhood or going to nearby stores, but if I'm going into town, I always wear slacks.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
No, I don't dress up to go shopping. Obviously if I'm going to be trying on shoes, I will shoes with socks out, not sandals. That sort of thing.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
I dress for the day when I get up in the morning, usually a clean pair of nice jeans and a pima cotton t-shirt. I just put on shoes and go. I'm dressed good enough to do all my errands as far as I'm concerned . And comfortable, too.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I wear comfy clothes around the house, and change into more respectable clothes when going out. Capris and a top, or a dress, sandals or clogs make an acceptable shopping outfit.

Well, that worked in Hawaii, and is fine this summer, I'll have to figure out something else as the weather gets cold.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:58 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I never did dress for shopping at least not since I was about 4 and going with my grandmother. Now I have Fibromyalgia and my skin hurts, it hurts a lot. so almost all the time if I go out, which is rare I wear a caftan that hardly touches my skin at all.
As for people dressing up to go shopping? they don't dress up for weddings or funerals these days, Or for church, it still bugs the heck out of me to see someone attend church in jeans, or shorts. I'd rather they be there in jeans than not there at all, but still!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Shorts, T-shirt, tennis shoes, ball cap. I guess, it's being dressed up in my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products