U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:04 PM

9,154 posts, read 8,556,560 times

Advertisements

Yes I do. I even dress up to walk. I feel so sloppy in those huge padded athletic shoes and sweats, so I put on capris or even a casual cotton skirt in the summer and leather sandals. I usually walk to do errands to kill 2 birds with one stone, so I'm dressed fairly nicely no matter what store I walk into.

I almost always have makeup on too. At least foundation and a little lipstick. I wear sunglasses always always always so sometimes I skip the eye makeup but I think I usually look fairly decent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:42 PM

4,928 posts, read 4,748,028 times
No I don't "dress up" but I am always showered, hair done and presentable in either capris with an appropriate top and sandals or nice jeans and a pullover sweater or long sleeved blouse.

I wouldn't dream of going shopping in the clothes I wear around the house, not that their natty looking, stained or torn but rather just more comfortable to do cooking and cleaning in.

I have many nice PJ sets but I wouldn't ever wear those to go shopping in, ever. But that's what I prefer and anyone and everyone else can certainly make their own decision of what is good for them and I couldn't care less.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:37 PM

10,946 posts, read 12,104,071 times
I ALWAYS wear makeup anytime I step out of the house...depending on where I'm going, it's a full face of makeup or not. Just free time shopping, I'll still wear foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, & mascara at the least.

Re: clothing, my usually uniform these days are NICE jeans, t-shirt, shoes, watch, earrings.

I never leave the house looking like a slouch.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM

27,078 posts, read 9,494,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Or do you just go out the door as you are. For a casual shopping trip, just to the superemarket or something, or to run out for fast food.

Do you put on different clothes, or straighten your hair, or put on makeup, or just go as you are?

Myself, I always put on long, pants, a button shirt, and proper shoes, even if I'm just going to the ATM, or to the office to pay the rent. I'm very old fashioned about things like that. If nothing else, I feel like I place myself in a position to get more serious consideration from shop employees.

(Moderator, please do not move this thread to Fashion. Obviously, everyone there probably does, and I'm looking for opinions of people who do not care enough about fashion to frequent that narrow subforum.)

Not "dress up" but certainly more than I wear at home. I don't wear jeans so will generally have a more tailored look. Love jewelry so I finish the outfit with that or scarf....looks more put together.

It did make a difference in my professional life...I think people respond in a more positive way if it looks like you put some consideration in your look for the day.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM

50,770 posts, read 72,231,206 times
Yeah. I think the title is misleading. Probably no one is "dressing up" to go shopping, but most of us want to look clean and tidy when going out in the public.
No one appreciate the look of smelly, dishelved slobs or weirdos a la Walmart shoppers.
Of course, if someone is in the middle of a dirty project and just want to make a quick run to home improvement store - dusty, spotted clothing is perfectly acceptable.

Americans generally dress worse than people in other developed countries, and most would say they don't care - just want to feel comfortable. But I don't buy it.
People can dress comfortable and look better than slobs. They surely dressed much nicer few decades ago, and no one was "suffering".

Go to any public arena - a sports event, a shopping mall, Wal-Mart, you name it - and you realize the standard of dress for men and women, adults and children, has reached a low point in American history.
What does our own sloppy dress tell us about ourselves? Are we really too busy to dress a little up rather than way down? Are we rebelling against the idea of beauty and culture? Or are we just too lazy to pull on a pair of slacks instead of wearing the sweats we slept in? ...

Last edited by elnina; 08-06-2018 at 03:48 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 07:49 PM

16,533 posts, read 35,812,384 times
How "dressed up" I get to shop or run errands depends on my mood, but I almost always put on a sundress and sandals (I live in Florida) and always wear a little jewelry, sometimes even crystal beads. I never leave the house without at least a bit of makeup, and like for my hair to look neat. When my husband and I go out to eat, even if not at fancy places we dress up a bit and he might wear an Aloha shirt with a light sport jacket over it. As a couple of people pointed out, it really doesn't take any more effort to wear comfortable clothing that fits well and is attractive than it does to wear sloppy sweats, etc.

The only exceptions are if I am just running down to the dollar store or 7-11 - then I pretty much go as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products