Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times

Advertisements

Gasoline cans without "safety" valves. I've spilled more fuel on the ground with most of these than I ever spilled with older cans. The few older ones I have, I'm taping spouts back together just to keep using them. There may be better safety ones out there, but I refuse to pay $40-50 for something that should cost $10.

A rolling tool chest from Sears. Mine is falling apart but Sears no longer sells that model. It was just right for my needs. Nothing they have now is as good.

A 5 gallon tool bucket liner. Many of these are out there & have been for years. I found one at a local hardware store that was just right. Well made, with all the right sleeves & pockets. I got about 6 years out of it & the store no longer sold them. They had no records to check for brand either. Any tag had long since worn out. I have yet to find another good one. If I had time, I would customize a bucket carrier.

Various small plastic and metal boxes for wrenches & other smaller tools. I find a very few out there but not often & fewer sizes.

A carry case for cordless drills. Home Depot once had a box that easily held a drill, charger & extra batteries without having to nest them in. Had thick foam padding that held things in place. Had a compartment in lid to hold lots of drill bits & screws, etc. I got 2 years out of one & they had discontinued it.

I should buy a dozen of anything I like because I won't find it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Polo Crest cologne

Pizza Hut Doritos

Jagged Ice flavor Powerade

Old 07-21-2018, 01:19 PM

371 posts, read 362,570 times
Dr. Scholl's insoles, those simple, flesh-colored arch supports that used to be ubiquitous. I'd buy three or four sets a year until they vanished, maybe a dozen years ago. There's a huge variety of insoles available now, but few that are purely for arch support. Most have so much padding at the heel and toe that my feet are raised out of proper position in the shoe.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:27 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Dr. Scholl's insoles, those simple, flesh-colored arch supports that used to be ubiquitous. I'd buy three or four sets a year until they vanished, maybe a dozen years ago. There's a huge variety of insoles available now, but few that are purely for arch support. Most have so much padding at the heel and toe that my feet are raised out of proper position in the shoe.
Yes....insoles that I bought, made my feet hurt more, and made my ankles swell

Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Jello Pudding Pops. The ones in the freezer case, not the ones that you have to make yourself now. They just don't turn out the same.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:56 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Gasoline cans without "safety" valves. I've spilled more fuel on the ground with most of these than I ever spilled with older cans. The few older ones I have, I'm taping spouts back together just to keep using them. There may be better safety ones out there, but I refuse to pay $40-50 for something that should cost $10.

A rolling tool chest from Sears. Mine is falling apart but Sears no longer sells that model. It was just right for my needs. Nothing they have now is as good.

A 5 gallon tool bucket liner. Many of these are out there & have been for years. I found one at a local hardware store that was just right. Well made, with all the right sleeves & pockets. I got about 6 years out of it & the store no longer sold them. They had no records to check for brand either. Any tag had long since worn out. I have yet to find another good one. If I had time, I would customize a bucket carrier.

Various small plastic and metal boxes for wrenches & other smaller tools. I find a very few out there but not often & fewer sizes.

A carry case for cordless drills. Home Depot once had a box that easily held a drill, charger & extra batteries without having to nest them in. Had thick foam padding that held things in place. Had a compartment in lid to hold lots of drill bits & screws, etc. I got 2 years out of one & they had discontinued it.

Gasoline cans - how big of a can are you looking for? Do the metal cans that mount to Jeep bumpers have this same feature? Expensive, but I'm trying to think of an alternative product that might not have as many"dumb consumer baby bumpers", so to speak.

Tool chest - my dad commented long ago that Craftsman tool chests used to be made of 16 gauge steel, and now the new 18 gauge ones feel like the drawer bottoms are going to tear like tinfoil. Best bet is to shop used, where you can find what you can't even pay someone to make new.

Tool bucket liner - as a lineman, I'd refer you to Buckingham tools and J Harlen

https://buckinghammfg.com/linemen/ca...l-tool-aprons/
https://buckinghammfg.com/linemen/ca...round-buckets/
https://www.jharlen.com/c-47-tool-to...d-buckets.aspx

Drills - Dewalt products comes with roomy soft-shell cases that will fit the drill, charger, and extra battery. If you already have the drill of your choice, utilizing the belt clip on any of the above tool buckets should give you a secure hold when transporting.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Gasoline cans - how big of a can are you looking for? Do the metal cans that mount to Jeep bumpers have this same feature? Expensive, but I'm trying to think of an alternative product that might not have as many"dumb consumer baby bumpers", so to speak.

Tool chest - my dad commented long ago that Craftsman tool chests used to be made of 16 gauge steel, and now the new 18 gauge ones feel like the drawer bottoms are going to tear like tinfoil. Best bet is to shop used, where you can find what you can't even pay someone to make new.

Tool bucket liner - as a lineman, I'd refer you to Buckingham tools and J Harlen

https://buckinghammfg.com/linemen/ca...l-tool-aprons/
https://buckinghammfg.com/linemen/ca...round-buckets/
https://www.jharlen.com/c-47-tool-to...d-buckets.aspx

Drills - Dewalt products comes with roomy soft-shell cases that will fit the drill, charger, and extra battery. If you already have the drill of your choice, utilizing the belt clip on any of the above tool buckets should give you a secure hold when transporting.
Thanks, I'll check these things out.

The gas cans, 1 gallon and 5 gallon. Yes, I have seen the large Gerry cans. They are very heavy and I think run over $50. I am looking for any kits out there to rework cans for reasonable expense.

The Craftsman tool box is a 2 tray rolling chest with extension handle; plastic, not metal. Metal would be too heavy to be very portable. I've checked E Bay. I still use what's left of the box and have spread some of my tools to other boxes I have. I'm making do.

I haven't heard of Buckingham. Harlen sounds vaguely familiar. I'll check them out. I am an electrician, so I may like some of the same stuff you do. I have had a Klein lineman's bag that recently gave out. I have a knockoff of it and will get another Klein in the future.

I have Rigid cordless tools. I use 1 of the bags that came with them to keep chargers & batteries in. Some of them included a long duffle bag, too flimsy to use long. I'll find something or start keeping drills & saw in a 5 gallon bucket.

My hat is off to you linemen. You do one of the hardest jobs in this industry in the worst weather and conditions.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Sarah Lee Frozen Croissants

These were better than anything we can find outside a bakery, and most of the bakery products aren't that buttery or as good as the Sara Lee Croissants were.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Trying to recall the name of a candy I miss, I located a store that sells classic candy:

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...tegory/candies

Has anyone here ordered from them?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:22 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

^^ Ain't that the truth.

Kinda pricey, but Amazon has them. The ones I got at HD are holding up due to lack of use.

HD and Lowes are pushing these tool and stuff bags now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products