Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Emerald green Herbal Essence shampoo from the 60s. It was thick and rich and dark green. I loved the very strong scent and wish we could get it again. Nowadays that brand's scent is so pale and weak.
I saved a whole ton of a that shampoo that I got on the cheap years ago at an 'Odd Job' store in Garden City LI when I worked there. I wisely used it to 'boost the potency' of the crap watery body soaps they sell nowadays. Still using it but I may outlive it yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Emerald green Herbal Essence shampoo from the 60s. It was thick and rich and dark green. I loved the very strong scent and wish we could get it again. Nowadays that brand's scent is so pale and weak.
Yes this is one I too miss.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Clove chewing gum
Beemans also discontinued their Blackjack gum flavor. Another once-popular product that seems to have disappeared, is Chip Steaks/Quik Steaks/Minute Steaks, by different companies. Made from thin wafers of beef, compressed into patties, they were frozen and separated by wax paper. They needed only 30 seconds of cooking on each side and were mostly eaten in sandwiches.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Personal Touch razor refills. I've had this razor since high school. I slice and dice myself with the new fancy swivel head razors. I was traveling out of state a few years ago and stumbled on some packages in a Super Walmart and bought about 10 of them.

I used to have a browser window open from a place that sold them but I closed it at some point and it looks like I forgot to bookmark it

Old 07-19-2018, 05:30 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Boil 'n bags

Old style root beer (with sasafroles)

gas cans that worked

straight six auto engines (SO easy to work on)

concrete roads (white is so much more visible on stormy nights)

real sugar soft drinks

UNhomogenized milk

beef kidneys

paper straws (you could flatten an end and cut it to make a noisemaker in class)

flavor straws

real paper towels (big absorbent sheets, not embossed holey typing paper)

Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Boil 'n bags

gas cans that worked

real sugar soft drinks

UNhomogenized milk

beef kidneys

paper straws (you could flatten an end and cut it to make a noisemaker in class)

flavor straws

I can't help you with most of your list, but for the bolded:

Real sugar soft drinks - You can find imported from Mexico - Coca-Cola made with real sugar. I buy it all the time, even though I don't drink a lot of it. It tastes so much better than the kind made here in the US.

Maybe try Viva brand paper towels - the full size sheets, not the select a size. They are the only paper towels I like. They are thick and feel more like cloth than other brands.

Some farms, farm markets and health food stores will sell you unhomogenized milk. I've gotten it before, but for some reason, it doesn't taste as good as I remember from my grandmother's farm, even though it's definitely unhomogenized, with the cream on top.

Paper straws - do a google search - they are really making a comeback with the anti-plastic movement going on.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:59 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Boil 'n bags

gas cans that worked

real sugar soft drinks

UNhomogenized milk

beef kidneys

flavor straws

Gas cans - YES!!! I have to unscrew the top of my "safe" one to fill the lawnmower.

Real sugar soda is making a comeback. Many small places have always had it, but you can now find Stewarts, Virgils and others in your grocery store - they are just in their own section. Pepsi had a product called 1893 last year (4 flavors) that was wonderful but it's disappeared in my area. Stop & Shop actually has a real sugar soda, and in touristy areas I've been able to find Mexican-produced varieties of the old standbys: Sprite, Coke, Pepsi etc

I too like concrete roads

I also wish headlights weren't weird blinding lines these days - maybe they look good to the person behind the wheel but ouch to the person driving towards them!

Q-tips that DON'T BEND!!!!! I still have a small supply of old ones in a travel kit and am always amazed at how crappy new ones are.

Reasonably priced greeting cards WITHOUT GLITTER!!! How can people like that junk, it gets all over the place?!

<edit> vrexy - you beat me while I was looking up root beer lol

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 07-19-2018 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:25 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Gas cans - YES!!! I have to unscrew the top of my "safe" one to fill the lawnmower.

Real sugar soda is making a comeback. Many small places have always had it, but you can now find Stewarts, Virgils and others in your grocery store - they are just in their own section. Pepsi had a product called 1893 last year (4 flavors) that was wonderful but it's disappeared in my area. Stop & Shop actually has a real sugar soda, and in touristy areas I've been able to find Mexican-produced varieties of the old standbys: Sprite, Coke, Pepsi etc

I too like concrete roads

I also wish headlights weren't weird blinding lines these days - maybe they look good to the person behind the wheel but ouch to the person driving towards them!

Q-tips that DON'T BEND!!!!! I still have a small supply of old ones in a travel kit and am always amazed at how crappy new ones are.

Reasonably priced greeting cards WITHOUT GLITTER!!! How can people like that junk, it gets all over the place?!

<edit> vrexy - you beat me while I was looking up root beer lol
I also really miss the wooden Q-tips! I just hate the ones that bend so easily. Another example of changing products due to the people who don't know how to use them correctly, or in the case of certain medicines - the ones who abuse them. I am disgusted by all of it! Why do we punish everyone because of the few who don't have good sense? Ugh!

I also really hate florescent lights. I was lucky enough to find out that incandescent bulbs were being phased out, so I stocked up on them when I had a chance. Now I have an attic full of them that I hope will be enough to last me for the rest of my life. I wasn't so lucky with the Q-tips. If I'd known that they were going to stop making the wood stick ones, I'd have a ton of them in my attic, also.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,335,417 times
Pudding in a can.

Carnation breakfast bars. I think it was Carnation that made them.

Wintermint candies. They were round and pink.

Thanks for the memories!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Black Cherry Fresca
Bacardi frozen drink mix...it's that time of year.
Heath Bars...I used to chop up the regular bars and put them in home-made ice cream, and now I can't find them in stores, and it's too hot to have them shipped if I could find them online.
Agree about Band-aids, razor blades, and wooden Q-tips.

When something disappears from supermarket shelves, it's hard to know if it's no longer made or just not distributed to your area or your store decided to ditch it.

My biggest frustration is just the demise of well-made clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products