Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I read somewhere that they make cheap crap SPECIFICALLY for American market. Because lots of Americans care only for the price, others simply can't afford better quality that cost more money. In some countries they don't even sell products they make for American market - the quality is so low, no one would buy it.
People don't want to treasure and care for something that's cost lots of money. They want change, new models, new styles, they follow trends, and trends change quite often...
Yes, there is demand, a huge demand for cheap junk.
I believe that lots of people never saw quality and craftsmanship in their life, and think what they buy is the best on the market. Some actually despise or belittle anything that sounds/looks like quality or artisan.
Just look how Walmart, discount/dollar stores, outlets, junk fast food is thriving. Did you noticed how fast the better quality stuff is discontinued? It's not selling well...
Why duct tape and caulk are the beloved methods to fix things cheap.
Why food portions got so big - lots of junk for small price. Why there are so many cheap imitations of designer clothing, purses or watches - people buy that crap believing they look expensive and chic.
Houses are built cheap, and they don't last for long. Cars don't have the same quality in the countries where they were built either. They make quality products for their own, and another much cheaper version for the American market, because buy cheap - buy often is the general motto.
This may also be why we're eschewing retail shopping malls for "Premium Outlets". An oxymoron of sorts. It was painful to hear the conversation between a J.Crew Outlet cashier and customer as she had to explain why their shirts fit differently than the ones bought at the J.Crew in Southpark Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 PM

236 posts, read 195,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
That's why I buy next to nothing. All my brickabrack could be loaded into the back of my truck with room to spare. Most of it is very old. my grandkids don't have much in the way of toys. Hot Wheels don't seem to have lost much when it comes to quality nor have Lincoln logs 2 sets of which I made myself for the kids. There's no Barbies in my granddaughters life, no my little ponies. She likes making pictures out of paper and glue, playing on her kids I pad and visiting me and the old couple next door in her spare time.

What really pisses off their moms is the shabby quality of the kids cloths and cloths in general. They don't last and they aren't cheap. We need to do something different.
Boy you are smart! I recently cleaned out my closets and was horrified by all the extra stuff I had to get rid of! I am making a fresh start with keeping my belongings to an extreme minimum. Since things are made so cheaply, nothing lasts anyway. I get so many of my clothing items in thrift stores because the quality is wonderful from the 80's and 90's.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There is only one company that can make Twister, I believe. The version WE played and loved had a fairly thick vinyl mat to play on. I bought a new copy for my own kids a few years ago. Same price in 2012 dollars as it was in 1970 dollars. They have replaced the old mat with one that is so thin and flimsy that you can no longer really play the game (the slightest touch moves it around and crumples it up).
Guess you have to make your own pad now.........
You can always buy the game used on eBay. They sell plenty of old board games. Some used bookstores sell old board games too, as well as antique malls.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:42 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You can always buy the game used on eBay. They sell plenty of old board games. Some used bookstores sell old board games too, as well as antique malls.
Good idea.
It's just too bad that we make junk now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products