Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,313 times

Advertisements

i used to shop at Walmart every week to do a large shopping day for my elderly mother who is in a home. Each time the shopping cart would be filled to the limit and more. I went there last week to finish and go to the cashier . . . WHAT, no cashier . . . just small tables with scanners. Where the heck are you supposed to put items after you scan when the cart is still full of items you did not scan! Well, Walmart made more room in their stores but have also lost me as a customer. I do not like to shop, then when I have to do my own scanning and my own bagging with no greeting and smile from a cashier . . . FORGET WALMART!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmellow1 View Post
i used to shop at Walmart every week to do a large shopping day for my elderly mother who is in a home. Each time the shopping cart would be filled to the limit and more. I went there last week to finish and go to the cashier . . . WHAT, no cashier . . . just small tables with scanners. Where the heck are you supposed to put items after you scan when the cart is still full of items you did not scan! Well, Walmart made more room in their stores but have also lost me as a customer. I do not like to shop, then when I have to do my own scanning and my own bagging with no greeting and smile from a cashier . . . FORGET WALMART!
Sounds like a regional situation because we have numerous Walmart, Walmart Supercenter, and Neighborhood Walmart stores in our county and none are as you described.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:05 AM

361 posts, read 258,976 times
Quote:
Not my experience. I've shopped at a Walmart, a local Walmart, and a Super Walmart. All have a mix of cashiers and self checkout stations.

I prefer the self checkout so that I don't end up behind someone with a full cart and a bag of coupons to be scanned.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:53 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I've never seen a WalMart with no cashiers. They all have a mix of quick checkout lanes with cashiers, regular checkout lanes with cashiers, and self-scan lanes.

I, for one, appreciate the choice. If I'm just buying four or five items, I can scan them myself and be on my way. If I have a cart full, I can choose to check out with a cashier.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
this sounds like an ideal Wal Mart to me! If the stores in my area did this, I might think about shopping there.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I think they would have to have a cashier, as you can't buy liquor at a self checkout.

I keep hearing how I should use cashiers instead of self checkout, to save jobs, but the last few times I did, I wound up waiting in line for like 7 minutes.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I think they would have to have a cashier, as you can't buy liquor at a self checkout.

I keep hearing how I should use cashiers instead of self checkout, to save jobs, but the last few times I did, I wound up waiting in line for like 7 minutes.

You can buy liquor at self checkout in AZ. It just needs an age approval by the attendant. Problem is there are a LOT of things these days that require age approval and it slows people down.

Self checkout is a time saver IF you only have a few items. The more items you have the more likely you are to have 'problems'. Using self checkout doesn't really take away jobs. When they expanded ours we had to hire a dozen cashiers to make sure they were manned properly. Walmart is always hiring but they are also cutting hours all over the place. Even full time long term employees are getting hours cut, a lot, so don't expect register lines to get any shorter.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've never seen a WalMart with no cashiers. They all have a mix of quick checkout lanes with cashiers, regular checkout lanes with cashiers, and self-scan lanes.

I, for one, appreciate the choice. If I'm just buying four or five items, I can scan them myself and be on my way. If I have a cart full, I can choose to check out with a cashier.

I agree with this.

I LOVE the self-serve. There IS a cashier on duty, for whoever buying a can of SeaFoam needs the age approval etc... the line moves pretty fast with this.

Compare this to ShopRite, where the Self-Serve lanes "10 items or less," I saw a woman with three grocery carts full of things use it. I counted 75 things. But, hey, they can do that. (?) - And only 4 things open. (I had one thing in my hand, so I walked in front of the person with a whole cart and just did my thing. I was fast about it, too. And ready to point out that they weren't really in the line, if they said something. Thankfully, I didn't have to. Ask not tell. It gets out of hand sometimes. Besides, sometimes the line is not clearly defined.)

Walmart people routinely spend like $100-$300 at a time, this is what the "checkout lanes" are for. Happens every now and then you get some schlub like me, only needs one, maybe like 5 things, depending. I'll do it myself while the cashier makes that mega sale, thanks.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 PM

149 posts, read 104,282 times
At the Wal-Mart I shop at here in Colorado Springs, if you go early in the morning there are no cashiers. All there is is self checkout with an attendant who can check ID on items requiring it. Cashiers start showing up around 7am. And you can not buy beer before 8am.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:09 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
At the Wal-Mart I shop at here in Colorado Springs, if you go early in the morning there are no cashiers. All there is is self checkout with an attendant who can check ID on items requiring it. Cashiers start showing up around 7am. And you can not buy beer before 8am.
Are you sure there are no cashiers before 7AM? I have shopped at a few 24 hour supermarkets were in the early morning hours, one of the stockers will come and open a register, when you are ready to check out. Since I hate waiting in line, some years ago I tried doing my shopping at 3AM for a while. I gave up on that, because I found I was waiting longer for somebody to come and open the register, then if I just went earlier or later and waited in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products