Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 PM

61,707 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm only surprised it didn't happen sooner. They stopped offering customers anything new and interesting years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...tcy/index.html
Yup. Was about a time.
I wrote about it before...
For years Sears was a family store for middle-class, home-owning America. Not a fashion store, not a discounter, nor an avant-garde department store…
Unfortunately, it’s been all downhill for middle-class, home-owning America since then, and it’s been all downhill for Sears, too.
Sears was never really cheap, has some funky customer service and policies, damaged image problems - and nowadays customers hunt for bargains on the Internet and in specialty stores. Sears is just too expensive and too bland for modern shoppers.
Sears started to decline in 1974 and really never stopped since. They expanded in a wrong direction, they lost their focus and made many executive and marketing mistakes. The last misery was acquiring K-Mart. Combining two losers doesn't make a winner - just doubles the problems. Sears used to mean quality and assurance for appliances, but now they don't own powerful brands.
A focus on successful, hard goods brands would go a long way towards re-establishing their value, and moving away from the perception that everything at Sears is at least 50% overpriced. But they, sadly failed at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I love Land's End clothing...particularly their bathing suits and down parkas. I will be sad if I can't buy from them anymore.

Pretty amazing that they used to sell kits to build entire houses -

You can see pictures, floor plans, and prices of all the homes here: History of Sears Modern Homes
And here's one in real life - the Suzie. B. Law Home, in Mississippi. https://worldofdecay.blogspot.com/20...use-foote.html Miss Suzie supposedly walked down out of the hills, barefoot, into the then-booming Delta region, where she got rich. Locally, her home was known as "The House of Romance", because Miss Suzie kept a fancy man, after she became widowed (In nearby Greenville, the Greenlee heiress kept a titled Spaniard, in the tea house behind her '20s-Chic Spanish-style villa. And over in Clarksdale, a cotton heiress actually married her European catch, thereby becoming a Countess.). The home was also known as 'The Drawnback House', because because Miss Suzie had a child who had a prominent forehead and a 'Drawnback' hairdo.

Anyway, once her fortune was secured, Miss Suzie ordered the biggest and finest house in the Sears Catalogue: 'The Mansion', and it was delivered to the Foote, Mississippi railroad depot (Long gone, along with the railroad), practically in the back yard. There was also a MATCHING PLAYHOUSE, in the yard, which was a Mini-me of the Mansion. Presumably, that came from the catalogue, too.

A few years back, 'The Drawnback House' was the setting for 'Dark House', a horror movie. https://goo.gl/images/NddTVe

Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Next up Target, than Walmart and everything in between. I can't believe these companies don't do more to adopt to E-commerce. It's like they don't even care.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
When I lived I Memphis there was a Sears in a sketchy area and people would carry out anything without paying for it. They were always advertising for security and stop-loss people.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
I’m surprised that it lasted as long as it did, and I’m surprised it outlasted Kmart. Did anyone ever really go there? I’m not sure I’ve ever bought anything there.

I went to one a couple of years ago when my dad bought a dehumidifier. No one was in there. All of the appliances could have been bought at a discount elsewhere. I guess the customer service was better than at Home Depot.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
They just didn't figure out how to compete in today's market. C'est la vie.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Sears and JC Penney are very similar. Huge department stores full of overpriced, dated merchandise that few people are interested in buying. When customers want something, they are told it's not in stock; they must buy it online. JC Penney will probably follow. I doubt many people will miss either of them.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I’m surprised that it lasted as long as it did, and I’m surprised it outlasted Kmart. Did anyone ever really go there? I’m not sure I’ve ever bought anything there.

I went to one a couple of years ago when my dad bought a dehumidifier. No one was in there. All of the appliances could have been bought at a discount elsewhere. I guess the customer service was better than at Home Depot.
Kmart will go down with Sears. Which will be the very last store to close is anybody's guess, but they all will be gone, very soon.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Next up Target, than Walmart and everything in between. I can't believe these companies don't do more to adopt to E-commerce. It's like they don't even care.
I disagree at least as far as Walmart. With Walmart, you can go into a store and get a great, discounted price. If you order something online, you can return it in-store for free. They're the perfect blend of a brick and mortar for when you want to go see something in person and not have to pay for shipping, and the option of getting something online, and have no-hassle returns.

This is what Amazon lacks, in my opinion.

Amazon doesn't always have transparent shipping policies. Sometimes you're buying from someone from China, but they don't make that clear. And maybe your "prime shipping" won't actually ship for several days, so your free 2 day shipping doesn't start for 5 days. And, maybe the item you're buying is shipping from China and won't actually arrive for a month.

Unless you are really paying attention during the shipping process and happen to notice that your expected shipping arrival time is 30 days from now - you're in for a big, really annoying surprise - even if you've paid for Amazon Prime.

Walmart's shipping and outside vendor info is really transparent and up-front. They do things way better and more fairly than Amazon, in my opinion, which will nickel and dime you to death with fees for this and that - if you want to rent videos, etc., and they never trick you as far as who is selling you what and when it might actually arrive and what a different return policy might actually be.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

This is what Amazon lacks, in my opinion.

Amazon doesn't always have transparent shipping policies. Sometimes you're buying from someone from China, but they don't make that clear. And maybe your "prime shipping" won't actually ship for several days, so your free 2 day shipping doesn't start for 5 days. And, maybe the item you're buying is shipping from China and won't actually arrive for a month.

Unless you are really paying attention during the shipping process and happen to notice that your expected shipping arrival time is 30 days from now - you're in for a big, really annoying surprise - even if you've paid for Amazon Prime.
You not paying attention does NOT mean they aren't being transparent...it means YOU are not doing your due diligence! It tells you right there how long for shiopping...if you don't care to read it then it's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products